Sealant leaking from tubeless

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
londoncommuter0000

Sealant leaking from tubeless

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

Just had a call with the LBS who're putting tubeless onto my Surly. He says that the sealant is leaking out from between the tyre and the rim, and that as such, there's no way the bike is rideable.

Anyone got an idea as to why this is happening? Even LBS guy is stumped.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
Scunnered

Re: Sealant leaking from tubeless

Post by Scunnered »

I would guess that the tyre bead has not seated tightly on the rim shoulder, either because there is a gap (which can be filled with additional rim tape), or because there is already too much rim tape.
A well seated tyre will give several loud pops as it is inflated and the tyre bead seats on the shoulder.
londoncommuter0000

Scunnered wrote:I would guess that the tyre bead has not seated tightly on the rim shoulder, either because there is a gap (which can be filled with additional rim tape), or because there is already too much rim tape.
A well seated tyre will give several loud pops as it is inflated and the tyre bead seats on the shoulder.

Tyre definitely 'popped'. We're going to try a change of sealant. If that doesn't work, I might need to look at whether the rims and/or tyres are damaged in some way.
--
London is a cesspit
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I've been told that rims can get bent if you use tyre levers, not so much of an issue with inner tubes but an issue with tubeless
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the tyres have been on and off the rims a few times then there is a pretty fair chance that the sealing lip on the tyre is damaged, or the rim tape is damaged. Sealants vary, so trying a different sealant may work.

cheers

Brucey
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
londoncommuter0000

Brucey wrote:if the tyres have been on and off the rims a few times then there is a pretty fair chance that the sealing lip on the tyre is damaged, or the rim tape is damaged. Sealants vary, so trying a different sealant may work.

No, brand new rims, brand new tyres.
--
London is a cesspit
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Since road tubeless is a jungle in terms of standards, not all combinations of tyre, sealant, rim, and rim tape can be made to work reliably. You might have to change something, hopefully one of the cheaper components.
londoncommuter0000

The bike is still in my local bike shop. The techie has now tried three different sealants. It has (so far) cost me £320 in parts and labour.

And I'm pretty sure that it's not over, since tubeless should hold pressure even without sealant, yes?

Right now, I'm of a mind to ask him just to rebuild my old wheels, and I'll punt the rims and tyres on ebay. But to get the spokes from my old rims onto the tubeless, he had to cut the spokes. So asking him to rebuild would mean buying new spokes.

Switching to tubeless on my bike is without a doubt the most expensive mistake I've ever made for any of my bikes.
--
London is a cesspit
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

£320!!!!! Jesus wept.......

That would annoy me but I'm a bit frugal and like the status quo if it ain't too much hassle!! What's a few punctures every now & then. I can't grasp this tubeless malarky.

Hope it resolves itself cheaply, all the best, Simon the dinosaur!!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

please tell us which rims and tyres you have used; it might avoid someone else making a similar mistake.

Where does your combination fall on this chart?

cheers
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

londoncommuter0000 wrote:The bike is still in my local bike shop. The techie has now tried three different sealants. It has (so far) cost me £320 in parts and labour.

And I'm pretty sure that it's not over, since tubeless should hold pressure even without sealant, yes?

Right now, I'm of a mind to ask him just to rebuild my old wheels, and I'll punt the rims and tyres on ebay. But to get the spokes from my old rims onto the tubeless, he had to cut the spokes. So asking him to rebuild would mean buying new spokes.

Switching to tubeless on my bike is without a doubt the most expensive mistake I've ever made for any of my bikes.

I'd sell the tubless wheels on Ebay and buy a new pair of handbuilt wheels from Spa Cycles and go back to tubes.
As you say a very expensive endevour into tubless world
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
londoncommuter0000

SimonCelsa wrote:£320!!!!! Jesus wept.......

That would annoy me but I'm a bit frugal and like the status quo if it ain't too much hassle!! What's a few punctures every now & then. I can't grasp this tubeless malarky.

Hope it resolves itself cheaply, all the best, Simon the dinosaur!!

We're what I'd call 'reasonably comfortable', so we're not going to be going hungry because of this, but it's still bleedin' annoying. I think what I'm going to do is follow the suggestion of just buying myself a new set or wheels from Spa Cycles, and call it quits. Ebay here I come.
--
London is a cesspit
londoncommuter0000

Brucey wrote:please tell us which rims and tyres you have used; it might avoid someone else making a similar mistake.

Where does your combination fall on this chart?

I can't answer that, mate. I'm not techie enough. I'll ask the bloke from the shop.
--
London is a cesspit
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you do know the make and model of the rims and tyres though?

cheers