Resale value of Btwin 500 Triban SE ( whole or parts )

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jfagan

Resale value of Btwin 500 Triban SE ( whole or parts )

Post by jfagan »

Hi guys i need a bit of advice.

Im looking for advice on how much i could resale some parts for or atleast my whole bike for.

Here is a list of parts that are currently on my bike.

Frame & fork - Btwin 500 Triban SE (very minor cosmetic damage)
Shifters - Shimano R3000 sora 2x9 (brand new)
Front mech - Shimano Sora R3000 (brand new)
Rear mech - Shimano sora R3000 (brand nwew)
Chainset - FSA omega (very minor cosmetic damage)
Pedals - Shimano R7000 105 Carbon composite pedals (brand new)
Handlebars - Bontrager aero lite aluminium 42cm (1 week old)
Bar tape - Fabric hex tape (minor signs of wear)
Wheels - Mavic Askium 2017/18 (fully trued and operation with a hub service before Christmas 2018)
Tyres - Conti Gatorskins 25c and 23c (a few months old but not a single puncture)
Seatpost 1 - Hope carbon 27.2mm eliptical rails (brand new)
Seatpost 2 - Btwin sport seatpost 29.4mm (used but undamaged)
Saddle 1 - Fabric radius with carbon rails in all black (barely used)
Saddle 2 - Fabric Radius with titanium rails in with blue base (signs of minor use but undamaged)
Seat clamp - blue Hope bolt seatclamp (brand new)
Water bottle 1 - Fabric 710ml Cageless black
Water bottle 2 - Fabric 500ml Cageless blue
Tool can - Fabric cageless tool can
Axles - Mavic Aksium quick release black

Any advice/offers would be helpful.

Thanks

James
Last edited by Graham on 28 Jan 2019, 4:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
Littgull

Re: Resale value of Btwin 500 Triban SE ( whole or parts )

Post by Littgull »

I think you need to provide a bit more detail such as age of bike, condition, approx mileage etc. Also how much is a new model now?
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I reckon if you can deal with the extra faffing around then you'll be better off selling as parts.

The Btwin 500 Triban SE is around £350 new & although you seem to have made quite a few upgrades, if you sell it as a whole it is still a £350 bike. Thus you may be lucky to get £200??

Although they get fairly good write ups & are OK bikes for the money they don't seem to have the 'wow' factor which drives a lot of the market nowadays.

Good luck with your selling!
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I'd take all nice bits off and put any original parts back on if you still have them, certainly sell the hope seat post and saddles separately, and Mavic wheels separately if you still have the original wheels. They are decent bikes but not desirable; those parts won't raise the price of the sale anywhere near enough to keep them fitted and sell them with the bike. Why don't you hang onto the nice hope seat post? 27.2 is a common size so you could use it on another bike or buy a shim to use it on another bike. I'd say probably between £150 to £200 would be a decent used price for that bike in good condition with the original bits on, maybe a tad over £200 with the Mavic wheels.
peetee

Post by peetee »

When it comes to value, condition is everything.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Basically you are looking at £150-200 for the bike. All those minor Shimano upgrades won't have enhanced the value much.

If you sell frame and fork you should get £40-50.

Wheelset depends on hubs and actual Aksium model, not enough info. Anything from £30, potentially a decent amount more than that.

Tyres £10 each but see condition

Shifters £65 the pair

Derailleurs £25

Crankset £10

Not much in it tbh. I'd put the bike up for £200, highlighting the upgrades, minus pedals, with the titanium saddle and original seat post, then sell the carbon seat post, saddle, and pedals individually.

But might depend on the specific Aksium wheelset?
Littgull

Post by Littgull »

I agree with above advice. £200 max.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Agree with most of what is said, if you still have them restore the original parts to the bike, keep the more expensive upgrades for yourself and your next bike.... I doubt I would pay more than around £150 for a secondhand bike that can be bought for £350
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

peetee wrote:When it comes to value, condition is everything.

Not quite everything.....

I've sold a lot of stuff on ebay as me and t'ladywife try never ever to throw anything away. It's either ebay, charity shop or given to an acquaintance who wants and can use it. It does help, as you say, to refurbish if necessary so condition is good; but there are other factors.

Resale value, as well as ongoing utility, are increased by buying high quality items in the first place. This is particularly true for functional items like tools, cameras, bikes (and bits). A lot of modern stuff is inherently dross; it functions poorly and easily breaks beyond fixing. We avoid buying the dross as the higher expense of a better item is something of an investment as far as resale and/or reuse go.

When selling things, they do need to be in good and functional condition then. But selling, especially on the likes of ebay, requires the seller to do their utmost to show the item (and it's good condition) in the most explicit and detailed fashion. So many sellers put up their stuff with terrible photos and descriptions that lack any useful descriptive text. Many are also foolishly (often obviously) dishonest in the description. This puts most potential buyers off immediately.

So, my advice would be to not only sell only items in good and functional condition but also to take pains in showing this condition photographically and in text descriptions, with absolute honesty about that condition. It requires "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth". If it's scratched or dinged, show a photo of that and mention it in the text. Never sell a badly worn or dysfunctional item.

Cugel

PS The OP will find that the value of his bike bits is what someone is willing to pay. The trick is to get as many as possible interested and willing to pay. See above.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Littgull

Post by Littgull »

Very helpful and sound advice from Cugel. I've not yet tried to sell anything on eBay but will do at some time in the future and will use that guidance as my blueprint for success.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Selling on Ebay involves paying for the privilege and probably paying Paypal fees. Postage will be a pretty big item. I have sold several thousands of pounds worth of stuff over the years and costs are not inconsiderable.
My daughter in law has sold lots of stuff (pushchairs etc) as their kids grow up on Facebook Market Place. Its free and you mainly get local purchasers who will pick it up. I bought a bike that way to do up for my other daughter in law.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

£75 .. i'll collect.
I've had a few 500 SE's ... top bikes ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

gxaustin wrote:Selling on Ebay involves paying for the privilege and probably paying Paypal fees. Postage will be a pretty big item. I have sold several thousands of pounds worth of stuff over the years and costs are not inconsiderable.

It's 10% (on the total, including postage), which is straightforward enough to calculate.
Paypal is 3.4% + 20p, call it 4%.

They have scrapped listing fees, so you don't pay to advertise.

Postage should be charged to the buyer, stick a few pence on if you like, to cover the fees.

My daughter in law has sold lots of stuff (pushchairs etc) as their kids grow up on Facebook Market Place. Its free and you mainly get local purchasers who will pick it up. I bought a bike that way to do up for my other daughter in law.

You can use both at once, it depends what you are selling - a pushchair is an everyday item & rather bulky and probably best sold on FB, for collection, but if you are selling bike parts, FB is unlikely to come close.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Split it. The money you have spent on the new shifters and mechs alone is more than its worth as a whole (I'll guess without researching the prices). Couple of hundred quid for the lot max I reckon as a commuter/spare/first timer bike.

I wouldn't mind a carbon seat post.

If splitting don't mess around with all sorts of prices. Do the maths yourself and just give one price including postage or if ebay, I suppose it has to be seperate. Just accept that PP will want their fee and stick it in.

Adverts that say that any fees are the buyers problem and then add a non fixed postage fee are a real put off. If some one wants to slap cash in your hand deal with any reductions at the time of hand over.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I agree with Matt's post. It is more effort for sure than selling the bike in one go though.

Anyway it perhaps serves to illustrate that upgrading bikes is not a cost-effective thing to do unless you are prepared to get many years of use out of the bike or re-use the nice bits on another machine.

Anecdote alert: Some years ago I bought some spare parts for an unusual car that I owned. The chap selling them had 'upgraded' his example to air suspension. I advised him to keep the original suspension parts so that he could reverse the 'upgrade' should he ever want to sell the car. My reasoning was, I explained, that his car might be unique as it was, which might render it unsellable; most owners of that type of car valued originality over that type of 'specialness'. I got nothing but blank looks back in my direction. Last I heard was that some years later, he was trying to buy standard suspension parts so that he could sell the car; he'd tried to sell it already and despite costing thousands his 'upgrade' actually reduced the value of the car in the eyes of most potential buyers.

Not quite the same thing as upgrading a bike but the value of a given machine is not greatly increased by having lots of upgraded parts on it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~