First ride

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
swscotland bentrider

First ride

Post by swscotland bentrider »

In the past twelve months Ive ridden only uprights. Due to a knee injury I did very little riding for the last six months of last year. However, after quite a few delays and a change of configuration I finally got a proper ride in today. I've bult it as a 3 x 10 gearing but with 11-36 cassette. At the moment using it as a 2x10 until I get fitter! Eventually settled on tiller set up. Nice being back on a bent. :D
Attachments
P1020963.JPG
UpWrong

Re: First ride

Post by UpWrong »

Looks good. I went with the fire-red for my Nazca Paseo but I was very tempted by the apple-green. What rear derailleur and crankset have you fitted?
hercule

Post by hercule »

Lovely colour. I went for Midnight Blue on my Fuego because that was what it came in! (second hand bike :lol: )

What bag are you using on the seat? Does it touch the rear guard?
swscotland bentrider

The crankset is a 10 spd Tiagra. 30/39/50. 170 mm cranks. The rest is all XT but I could not get an XT Chainset in the ring / crank sizes I wanted. The bike is to be used on this years European tour so it is geared for that. The rear mech might struggle with the chain wrap but my plan is to substitute an 11-32 cassette once I get back from tour (and start to use the 50 ring more freely).

The ride height is set at maximum. The seat is set in the most upright position. In the photo the seat has slipped a little. I subsequently tightened the clamp and it stays put now. This is an experiment. In the past my former Fuego was set on mid position ride height and seat almost fully up. To be honest I cannot detect any difference in steering sensitivity and the (fairly) upright position suits me best.

The bag is a Radical Seat pack. Again as an experiment I removed the rack and fitted this. With the bike set up as described it does not foul the mudguard but only just clears it on full 'bounce'. I'll probably reinstall the rack for the tour.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

It looks very laid back so surprised when you say the ride height is on it's highest position. Might be the photo. Is this the large frame?
swscotland bentrider

The Fuego in the medium frame with a large seat. The seat had slipped at the clamps a bit but it is pictured with the ride height on the bottom slot. Here is an earlier incarnation (different chainset) but a bit clearer.
Attachments
P1020959.JPG
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Ah yes, that's clearer. Lovely looking machine.
hercule

Post by hercule »

swscotland bentrider wrote:The ride height is set at maximum. The seat is set in the most upright position. In the photo the seat has slipped a little. I subsequently tightened the clamp and it stays put now. This is an experiment. In the past my former Fuego was set on mid position ride height and seat almost fully up. To be honest I cannot detect any difference in steering sensitivity and the (fairly) upright position suits me best.

I'm convinced I can feel a difference between the various ride height settings - on the high setting the steering feels twitcher and makes it easier to go up hills (more responsive at slow speeds), on the low setting things slow down and it feels better at faster speeds. Most of the time I'm in the middle. Maybe it's all placebo effect!

The only downside to switching to the aerosteer bars for me is that I have to have the seat fully up or I can't reach the bars comfortably. Mind you at more laid back settings my balance gets a bit wonky anyway!
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Did you use a washer on the RD mounting bolt? On my Nazca with its thin dropouts, the mounting bolt protrudes on the inside of the chain stay and fouls the chain when on the smallest sprocket- it can catch on the chain pins. I have now used a 2mm thick washer between the mounting bolt and the dropout to stop it protruding. I had to do the same on my RANS with its thin steel dropouts.
swscotland bentrider

Yes I did. I bought the bike as a frameset and one was zip tied to the drop out.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

swscotland bentrider wrote:Yes I did. I bought the bike as a frameset and one was zip tied to the drop out.

Thanks, that's reassuring to know. Yes mine also came with a washer zip tied to the drop out but I wasn't sure what it was for.