Maximum speed on a Road Bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
foxyrider

Re: Maximum speed on a Road Bike

Post by foxyrider »

Had 98kph coming off the Kuhtai Saddle a couple of years ago - I wasn't trying to go fast, honest guv. Had the Airnimal top 80kph on a Swiss pass which was interesting! Have to admit that the pilot (not me) bottled it at 100kph on the tandem dropping away from Grantham on the 52 - wuss!

It's not unusual to hit 60/70kph on the nicer descents around these parts and most rides in the PD will have a max of over 60kph without trying.

What is the max? Whatever you feel comfortable with, it might be 20kph or 120kph.

(oops, did I just admit to going a bit faster than posted speeds?)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

My return home always resulted in my hitting 70kph coming off the moors, after a long descent. While I'm always careful in the wet/current icy conditions, an unexpected "off" on the same hill was a useful reminder of the danger of speed!

A beautiful day, dry roads, bike in perfect order, with fantastic fortune I'd picked up a crammed pannier load of shopping and so was taking it slowly (25kph on a slight bend, where normally I'd be doing well over 60kph).

Harvest season, turns out a farmer had a red diesal spill on that bend, I was off instantly. My load of shopping saved me from suffering no more than two teeth pushed 3-4mm out of alignment and temporary loss of a substantial amount of facial skin. Only one of two unexpected "offs" but one I bear in mind!
Eric the Red

Post by Eric the Red »

I've often topped 50 mph on a loaded touring bike in the French Alps or Pyrennes, and over 60 mph on a road bike. Nowadays - being a bit older - I might just take it a bit easier though. :wink:
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I did 46mph in '05 one and a half handed with left arm in a sling due to what turned out to be a fractured elbow after an RTC and refusing to be taken to a hospital (plod was going to leave my bike at side of the road!).I also had a gas dumpy in a rucksack as i'd cycled to collect it. 8)

Was easier to let the bike run and lightly rest my left hand on the bars and It was on same road I'd done 50mph sometime in the early 90s. Highest was in France, about 55mph when light touring.

Age isn't the only potential restrictive aspect, bike, experience, risk taking, terrain, weather, even clothing, all effect max speed that is safe for you and more importantly, others. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Not as fast as I might have thought. Oddly I only hit 38 mph coming down Ventoux. I've hit faster in Suffolk, though admittedly not for as long. Straight line speed and cornering speed are two different things I think. I wasn't that fast on the big mountain because I slowed so much for the bends. If I'd let the bike run, it would have been a hell of a lot faster. Guess I didn't fancy trashing my holiday by hurling myself and my bike off a mountain pass...
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

I well remember following Mick F off the A30 towards Oakhampton 38mph down the slip road on the way to Betty Cottles
My fastest was 41 from the top of Woodead down towards Barnsly. The road had been resurfaced and was as smooth as a silkworms trump :lol:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Generally I feel I am going fast enough if I get to 40mph. On an exceptionally straight, well surfaced and hazard free descent with sufficient gradient, good weather and a lucky rabbit's foot I might go to 50mph. At that point the bike is feeling a bit skittish and unlikely to respond well to hard braking, so I am at that point taking a risk for the sake of pleasure. If a sheep I haven't noticed steps out into the road it could be the end of me.

Constant braking on a long descent can be more dangerous than going faster and not braking constantly. With rim brakes you risk the inner tube exploding and with hydraulic brakes you risk boiling the fluid and suddenly having no brakes at all. I have done both and neither seems very funny at the time.
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

ndwgolf wrote:Today I nearly hit 60 kilometers an hour and could have easily smashed that as I was braking the whole time going down the hill.......
What would be a safe maximum speed for a 61 year old on a road bike???!

After today I do t think I would like to go much quicker than that anyway.

There is a road in Scotland called the Tak Me Doon Road, near Kilsyth…

http://www.thedrumup.co.uk/routes-rides/scottish-climb-tak-me-doon-road/

I have seen 35 mph coming down there before, but I am an utter coward, and will brake after that. There is also the Lennoxtown Road, which comes down the side of the Campsie Fells (IIRC), and I overtook a car on that road once.

But I generally will aim to keep my speed below 25 mph on descents.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
althebike

Post by althebike »

I peppered 50mph a few times on jogle last year, down the cairngorms, near bridge of brown in Scotland and also descending towards Saltash nr Plymouth. Each time a gust of sidewind frightened me and I braked. I enjoy the speed to a point, then I feel vulnerable and start worrying about the results of everything that could go wrong, unexpected wind, close pass by vehicle, pothole or object in road, tire problem and so on.
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

althebike wrote:I peppered 50mph a few times on jogle last year, down the cairngorms, near bridge of brown in Scotland and also descending towards Saltash nr Plymouth. Each time a gust of sidewind frightened me and I braked. I enjoy the speed to a point, then I feel vulnerable and start worrying about the results of everything that could go wrong, unexpected wind, close pass by vehicle, pothole or object in road, tire problem and so on.

That's what calms me down, too. If I come off at 50 mph or higher, there's no 'if' or 'maybe' about it - I'm going to get seriously hurt. Or worse.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
peetee

Post by peetee »

When I still had speed in me legs it wasn't often I rode with a speedometer and the fastest I have seen is 48mph dropping down from Cheesfoot Head near Winchester. Not a long or steep descent by any measure. The road surface was awful spray and chippings and the bike was skipping and bucking all over the place.
Off-road I managed 43 in Butser country park on my non-sus MTB. It was a lot less scary than the road ride!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

londoncommuter0000 wrote:
althebike wrote:I peppered 50mph a few times on jogle last year, down the cairngorms, near bridge of brown in Scotland and also descending towards Saltash nr Plymouth. Each time a gust of sidewind frightened me and I braked. I enjoy the speed to a point, then I feel vulnerable and start worrying about the results of everything that could go wrong, unexpected wind, close pass by vehicle, pothole or object in road, tire problem and so on.

That's what calms me down, too. If I come off at 50 mph or higher, there's no 'if' or 'maybe' about it - I'm going to get seriously hurt. Or worse.

Thinking like that leads to madness! :lol:

I have those thoughts but for the most part I choose to ignore them. Doesn't mean I ride like a lune but sometimes you can end up over cautious for no solid reason.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!