Can Someone Please Have a Word with God…

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
londoncommuter0000

Can Someone Please Have a Word with God…

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

... and give us some warmer weather?

I prepped my lovely single speed yesterday afternoon, and was all ready to cycle in this morning. Woke up at around 06:20, looked outside, and saw the road and the top of all the cars in our street covered with a layer of ice/frost.

Back to sleep.

Anything less than 2°C, I don't cycle in. Anyone else the same?
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
rualexander

Re: Can Someone Please Have a Word with God…

Post by rualexander »

It's winter.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

You ain't seen nothin' yet!!
londoncommuter0000

rualexander wrote:It's winter.

No!
--
London is a cesspit
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Depends where you live.
We have ice and snow forecast for here commencing noon today .......................... ha ha ha.
Not a chance of it. It's damp and miserable at 9degC with drizzle.
The Met Office are suffering from Michael Fish Syndrome.
I do admit that some folk will get it bad, but not us.
This photo was from March 2018. A rare event, and it was all gone by lunchtime.
IMG_0345.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

2018 was one of the greatest Summers for a few years,followed by a rather nice Autumn.
It's now Winter.
It'll be spring soon enough.
That's the nature of things,get used to it. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's spring now.
The birds are starting to get courting, the daffs and primroses are in flower, there's buds on the trees, and the days are lengthening.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

It's pretty mild here at the moment with a hint of drizzle. Loads of grit on the roads though, so hostile for nice bike components. I've just been up in the attic blocking a hole where some birds have been getting in and starting to build a nest. They obviously think it's spring already. I removed a wasp nest while I was up there.

Snow is forecast for much of Wales today but we rarely see it down here on the south coast.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mick F wrote:It's spring now.
The birds are starting to get courting, the daffs and primroses are in flower, there's buds on the trees, and the days are lengthening.

It's Winter until March only then is it Spring!

FWIWN it's been feeling here for a few days, ice on the puddles, frost on the fields didn't clear yesterday and we're expecting snow later (it did snow last night but just a dust). As ewer are just going into mid winter it's to be expected, might just get the thermals off by the end of April!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have studded tyres.

I live in Norway, so if I refused to cycle in anything less than 2 C, I'd get to cycle about twice between October and April.

That said, it was -14 C when I left this morning. That's too cold for me to commute by bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
londoncommuter0000

Vorpal wrote:I have studded tyres.

I live in Norway, so if I refused to cycle in anything less than 2 C, I'd get to cycle about twice between October and April.

That said, it was -14 C when I left this morning. That's too cold for me to commute by bike.

What's the average weather like there in June, Vorpal? Actually, I'll ask this in the Bergen to Trondheim post, as I'm waiting a month or so before showing it to my wife ...
--
London is a cesspit
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Spring is called spring coz stuff springs into life after the winter sleep.
The USA call autumn - fall - because that's when the leaves fall.

Spring and autumn are movable feasts. They can be early or late. They can start, then stall, then start again. You cannot set your watch by them nor rely on a calendar. They vary with where you are. Your springs and autumns can be before or after mine or even at the same time.
Mick F. Cornwall
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I certainly used to ride unless there was ice around, and I didn’t have a bike with studded tyres, or a quad / trike with those tyres available. However last year, I was riding to work at 05:00 in very sub zero temperatures for a couple of weeks, and the cold air actually led to the root of one of my teeth being killed off, which led to me losing that tooth. I don’t mind riding in the cold, but if I start losing body parts, that’s about my limit.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:I certainly used to ride unless there was ice around, and I didn’t have a bike with studded tyres, or a quad / trike with those tyres available. However last year, I was riding to work at 05:00 in very sub zero temperatures for a couple of weeks, and the cold air actually led to the root of one of my teeth being killed off, which led to me losing that tooth. I don’t mind riding in the cold, but if I start losing body parts, that’s about my limit.

No buff, balaclava or mask? I've not had trouble since switching from scarves to buffs and balaclavas.

Norfolk ain't as bad as Norway, but the wind whips in off the North Sea, so not cycling below 2c would probably stop people commuting by cycle for most of a month or two and I don't think the town's roads would cope with the extra motorists.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cycling to work one winter morning on my Raleigh Clubman mid 1980s, I hit a bit of black ice - main road too!
Off I went onto my left and slid along on the tarmac. Not going fast as I was climbing a short hill.

No-one nearby, no cars, no problem ................. except I bent the LH crank a tad.
After getting to work, I took the crank off and put it in the bench vice in the workshop, and gave it a whack or two with a hammer.
Sorted perfectly! :D
Mick F. Cornwall