Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cunobelin

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by Cunobelin »

thelawnet wrote:
Sweep wrote:Have since been told by a local cycling companion that the area at the back of the Todmorden spoons is a veritable sun trap.

Though you do of course get smokers.

are there signs forbidding it? my local Wetherspoons has an outside area, which doesn't seem to fall under any reasonable definition of 'covered', but smoking is not allowed. Perhaps passers-by (it's on the street) complain?

If they are smoking, then perhaps they have overdone the sunbathing.......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.36939 ... 312!8i6656
Rear garden at Union Rooms in Plymouth.
The smoking area is under the green "tents" on the right.
That's not my bike BTW.
Mick F. Cornwall
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

https://www.change.org/p/spoons-wethers ... iving-wage

Maybe those visiting Wetherspoons could gently investigate in this topic and then sign if appropriate.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If they don't like their employer or his attitudes, they should seek another job.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:It should of course be clear to anyone except the perverse that I started the thread to highlight ones which were handy for bikes and had good bike access - I find most cyclists easygoing practical souls and for them the fact that, for instance, there is unrestricted access to an outside area with some form of security possibilities (railings in time honoured fashion count) or a way of sitting inside and seeing your locked bike will be good enough.

Yes, we know why you say you started the thread and now you've achieved that, by highlighting the ONE cycle-friendly Wetherspoons found so far! :lol:

Yes, cyclists are practical souls and will make the best of a lot of bad situations in sometimes quite innovative or assertive ways, but any reasonable definition of "cycle friendly" would surely include reasonably good cycle parking: Sheffield Extra stands, suitably-spaced, obviously and conveniently sited, visible with no motor access. In other words, they would voluntarily comply with the Parking Standards for Norfolk instead of endlessly ducking them by taking over old buildings (King's Lynn, Downham Market, ...) or AIUI by arguing the toss until the planning authority gives up and decides it's cheaper to install council parking nearby (Norwich Riverside).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

MrsHJ wrote:https://www.change.org/p/spoons-wetherspoon-stop-making-your-staff-distribution-propaganda-and-pay-them-a-living-wage

Maybe those visiting Wetherspoons could gently investigate in this topic and then sign if appropriate.

Interesting.

I have no idea what proportion of spoons staff voted for and against brexit.

On pay, as I think at least one person has pointed out upthread, it has never been a well paid sector.

I think you declared upthread that him indoors is a publican so you may have a personal angle on this.

Outside London?

In the interests of transparency, can we ask what he pays his bar staff?

And by the by, for my initial post made clear the reasons for my appreciation of them, what is his attitude to folks wandering in and plugging stuff into the sockets?

Does he have clearly visible free access water dispensers on the bar?

Is it a tied brewery house or a genuinely (and I stress that word) free house?

As for chains, the brewery chains came close, amongst many misdeeds, to having a very good go at killing the British pub and the beer within them.

For it was no golden (ale) age.
Sweep
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

They pay £8.26/hr. 10p/hr more after 13 wks
£9.86 at Gatwick though
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

MrsHJ wrote:https://www.change.org/p/spoons-wetherspoon-stop-making-your-staff-distribution-propaganda-and-pay-them-a-living-wage

Immediately effective are the review web sites

Object to the Propaganda on TripAdvisor, and the others
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

There are four Wetherspoons near here, three in nearby Reading, the Hope Tap and the Back of Beyond in Friar Street and the Baron Cadogan in Caversham. All I have been found to be cycle friendly allowing bikes to be parked inside. At Henley is the Catherine Wheel a lovely old Coaching Inn where you can easily park a bike in the courtyard. In Reading which is stuffed with eateries and coffee shops the Wetherspoons occupy spots in a thriving street of mixed properties whilst the Baron is in Prospect Street just off the centre of Caversham. All these Wetherspoons seem to do very nicely even though there is plenty of competition. Our local excellent Loddon Brewery run by the former head brewer of Brakspears Henley brewery supplys beer to all the local Wetherspoons. Wetherspoons, as always serves great beer and well priced food which is great in an area that is swamped with often overpriced so called gastropubs.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote:All I have been found to be cycle friendly allowing bikes to be parked inside. At Henley is the Catherine Wheel a lovely old Coaching Inn where you can easily park a bike in the courtyard.

So in other words, none of them have secure cycle parking of a sort that would meet even the 2007 Norfolk Parking Standards.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

mjr wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:All I have been found to be cycle friendly allowing bikes to be parked inside. At Henley is the Catherine Wheel a lovely old Coaching Inn where you can easily park a bike in the courtyard.

So in other words, none of them have secure cycle parking of a sort that would meet even the 2007 Norfolk Parking Standards.

No, they dont apply in Berkshire :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote:
mjr wrote:

Of course, which is why they don't. But if the business was "cycle friendly", they'd surely meet such a minor standard for cycle parking without being forced to.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

mjr wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
mjr wrote:So in other words, none of them have secure cycle parking of a sort that would meet even the 2007 Norfolk Parking Standards.

Of course, which is why they don't. But if the business was "cycle friendly", they'd surely meet such a minor standard for cycle parking without being forced to.

ALL of these pubs are located straight onto the pavement. There simply isnt room to put in cycle racks outside, its a common problem and applies to many other similarly situated pubs too. I always ask to be allowed to park my bike safely inside and the answer has always been yes. Thats why I regard all our local Wetherspoons as cycle friendly. With other local pubs being small and pokey I dont think I would get such positive cycle friendly treatment. Perhaps its a directive from Tim at the top. He seems to have created a vast chain of profitable pubs with a winning formula?

Al
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:Of course, which is why they don't. But if the business was "cycle friendly", they'd surely meet such a minor standard for cycle parking without being forced to.

I don't think cyclists need anyone to tell them how to define what is and isn't friendly, I certainly don't. I was in a micro-brewery pub last night, landlord gave the small group of cyclists the upstairs room for a meeting, opened the rear gate and told me where the bikes would be under the CCTV, choice of railings or solid garden furniture to lock to, then served a decent beer after offering me several samples. I'm sure he didn't meet any authorities cycling standards, but the several cycling groups who meet there and the many other cyclists probably all consider it a cyclist friendly pub, I certainly do.
https://www.lovederby.com/pubs/golden-eagle/
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

That Golden Eagle looks great, stands out amongst the crappy looking buildings alongside. More character establishments like that are needed.

Al