Small windscreen idea

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
willcee

Small windscreen idea

Post by willcee »

Back in the 60's my bro and I had an idea about sticking a windscreen on our respective machines, we each bought one and had a go at fitting them might have been 8yo and 11 respectively,they worked until they broke, long time since that happened but on my E bike I have been considering just such an idea, as anyone who does any distance on a E will realise that as you're not working as hard as you would sans engine you become colder..I have invested in a Yepp screen which was originally designed to fit in front of a yepp Thule front mounted childs seat, Amazon had a torn box one at half cost so had a punt, it arrived and was much larger than I thought however I'm in the process of sussing how to fit it..there are many in the USA who have used screens since the 60's .. I got everything you will see in that link.. interested in your comments.. will
https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/child-bi ... _-12020906
NickWi

Re: Small windscreen idea

Post by NickWi »

May I suggest you move this to either the Technical or Touring section if you want a better response.

On motorcycles, screens, even small ones work well but you're talking much higher speeds. At 15mph I'm not convinced there would be much aerodynamic advantage, but the pro teams have been making a lot a small changes to bike & component design over the last few years so they seem to think there’s something to be gained at lower speeds. I can't see the UCI sanctioning screens or fairings any time soon, (well never actually), but it'd interesting to hear from anyone who's ridden behind such a screen. On a cold days like we have now even a small amount of deflection of the air could be very valuable, especially if it protected your hands.
willcee

Post by willcee »

When I was the first contri on E bikes in the forum back in 2013 this section for E bikes came shortly afterwards, so my only reason for my own suggestions on windscreen air protection was to compensate for the fact that even pedalling high cadence without much real warming exertion means that you become cold, unless as Brucey said get ''wrapped up like a pump in frost'' back in the day when I first mentioned an E bike build, he was absolutely on the money..so on this section it imv has relevance.... http://www.zzipper.com/... What the UCI say or don't is neither here nor there.. will
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... I'm in the process of sussing how to fit it. ...

From your own link the SlimFit adaptor seems to do that

Compatible with both normal and most ahead stems (20-28mm diameter)
Quick and easy to install

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/child-bi ... _-12020413
willcee

Post by willcee »

It doesn't, thats designed for wrapping around a quill, and the other is an ugly u bolted item which clamps over the stem and only suits a stem of maybe 90 /100 mm and with very little upward degree angle neither of which suit my position or machine.. so I have an fitting coming from Polisport in Portugal who also do screens for kids bike seats but have clamps that actually fit over the bars each side of the stem and suit the modern handlebar with bigger section..will
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Hello Will

I hear what you’re saying about getting cold on long rides on your ebike, I do too but tend not to go out when I think it’s TOO cold.
I have this gadget that fits to an ahead stem, if you have one, its for fitting extra bits and bobs to when you run out of handlebar space.
You are welcome to it if you think you can adapt it for your needs.

Beauty will save the world.
willcee

Post by willcee »

What do you think of this bit of kit.. been talking with the owner of ZZip and this is one of his drop barred models @ 200usd plus delivery..
Attachments
franklarondie (2).jpg
willcee

Post by willcee »

the Zipper fairings appeared on Saturday past,after a 15 day journey from California via San Francisco then NewYork, Iceland, and Ireland all because the customs form was handwritten, but hard to read and the N. in Ireland, seperate zone from Eire was sort of a squiggle so someone thought Iceland and so on!!! we did a deal on 2 different profiles one for a drop barred bike other for flat barred. pics attached, its too low currently and i will have some different longer struts made to clear better the STI blades and allow the clamp to locate atop the bar so raising the screen to just below my nose.i have trialled it and while it dances a bit seems to do its job.. no rattles and very little weight. they are very flexy and when the DHL guy arrived and handed me a box 2'x12''x10'' i couldn't think it was my screens they were rolled in a tube of heavy plastic bag material..will
Attachments
feb 2019 002 (Large).JPG
feb 2019 003 (Large).JPG
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

My Catrike, Gekko, Street Machine and Kettwiesel all have fairings.

This is the Ctrike with the WIndwrap XT and GX fitted (Summer and Winter)

I can assure you that they do make a difference in the cold!!!!

Last edited by Cunobelin on 17 Feb 2019, 9:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I saw one of those screens some 20 years ago fitted to a BJ tandem with the first Rohloff hub I'dever seen,his opinion of the screen was that it helped in headwinds but strongish crosstail winds could be a problem affecting the steering.
BTW how's the new hip doing now?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

New hip is fantastic, however other obligations are keeping me off the trikes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:New hip is fantastic, however other obligations are keeping me off the trikes

Glad to hear it :)
And I believe Will has had a new one too,it must be contagious :)
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

reohn2 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:New hip is fantastic, however other obligations are keeping me off the trikes

Glad to hear it :)
And I believe Will has had a new one too,it must be contagious :)

Just age, or in my case a fractured hip and pelvis in a mountain bike accident many years ago

A tree stepped out in front of me!!!
willcee

Post by willcee »

yes.. reohn2 thx for asking.. nearly 4 months now, still stiff when exiting a sofa or chair after a half hour or more, for the first couple of steps, no pain walking or riding, few nerve end spasms in bed sometimes.. and still have diffs tying the left shoe comfortably, my cycle buddy had one fitted last Feb, almost a year ago, and he still had issues up until a month or so ago couldn't hunker down as he used to when painting skirtings etc..Pic added of Flat barred Dawes 631 with its new screen...will
Attachments
001 (Large).JPG
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Will
Glad to hear you're up and running,well walking and cycling :)
W H Auden