Every breath we take: the lifelong impact of air pollution

pwa

Re: Every breath we take: the lifelong impact of air pollution

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Volkswagen is investing € 44 000 000 000 to convert several factories to produce electric vehicles, the first vehicles are to be produced at Zwickau in 2019
A price of € 20 000 was mentioned, but where shall the power come from?

Putin :lol:
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

I don't think that atmospheric Co2 had been viewed as directly toxic to human health before, has it?
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nvironment

A Co2 atmospheric concentration of 1000ppm will be reached by 2100, on current trends. This concentration of Co2 has an effect of reducing cognitive brain function by 21%! Such concentrations are already found in urban environments right now, most tragically in inner city schools. Also, bedrooms have recorded C02 levels of 2000ppm. Which might be one reason to explain why many people feel so groggy first thing in the morning.

Just when we collectively need to understand and act on pollution and climate change, it turns out that our ability to clearly think these things through is being retarded by these pollutants :(
So that explains Trump then :twisted:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mark R wrote:True. But what we absolutely do not need is yet another generation of 'clean diesels' which will surely become gross polluters as their emission control systems progressively begin to fail.

Also....once we have got rid of non-essential vehicles, what about the ones which are actually required (Buses, trains and taxis for example)? Are you happy for them to continue using diesel? I'm not...

Not really, but I'd rather share with a few diesel busses than thousands of diesel cars.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Vorpal wrote:
Mark R wrote:True. But what we absolutely do not need is yet another generation of 'clean diesels' which will surely become gross polluters as their emission control systems progressively begin to fail.

Also....once we have got rid of non-essential vehicles, what about the ones which are actually required (Buses, trains and taxis for example)? Are you happy for them to continue using diesel? I'm not...

Not really, but I'd rather share with a few diesel busses than thousands of diesel cars.
Not really, but I'd rather share with a few diesel busses than thousands of cars.
It's energy "consumption" that is the main problem whatever its source.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Not only are the Chinese building filthy power stations in China….

BBC News - China-backed coal projects prompt climate change fears
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46310807

They are now considering using silver iodide over Delhi to make it rain and cut air polution

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

20 000 people have gathered in Poland to talk about pollution and global warming, many of them flew there

Seems to me the problem is use of resources, not just energy, people have too much stuff. Too many bikes even, houses that are too big and too warm &c &c
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gguwJRrzzF8

Here is a nice video update on the diesel bans in Germany for anyone interested....

Notice the Deutsche Post delivery bicycle at 3:30!
Graham

Post by Graham »

Having watched to half way through I get the impression that the film makers are presenting the diesel bans in German cities as unreasonable panic due to reliance on incomplete science.

I'll watch the rest later to see if they balance this out . . . .
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Graham wrote:

Having watched to half way through I get the impression that the film makers are presenting the diesel bans in German cities as unreasonable panic due to reliance on incomplete science.
Having watched the lot I'd go along with the 'unreasonable panic' thesis, but it was only a 28 minute documentary and I'm no epidemiologist.... I'd rather focus on the findings / methods / recommendations of the original RCPCH report.
"42"
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Having watched the lot I'd go along with the 'unreasonable panic' thesis, but it was only a 28 minute documentary and I'm no epidemiologist.... I'd rather focus on the findings / methods / recommendations of the original RCPCH report.

More background.....

https://www.politico.eu/article/dueling-doctors-poison-germanys-diesel-car-debate/

My take would be that some doctors have decided to join the industry lobby to get the air quality limits reduced - and thus avoid the upcoming diesel bans.

In any case Deutche Welle decided to re-frame the debate in terms of the German govt pushing for legislation against the wishes of the medical profession.

In fact the opposite is true!!!

Blatant spin verging on outright dishonesty. The German govt, including its state broadcaster, is clearly in the pockets of the car industry lobby. AFATAC the car industry must be protected at all costs, including public health. Will be interesting to see how this plays out....
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Revealed: asthma’s deadly toll on young people in the UK

Guardian wrote:Strikingly, the UK comes near the bottom of the pack for deaths from asthma among 10- to 24-year-olds, with the fourth-worst figure across all 19 countries and the worst death rate in Europe, with a figure double that of the next worst European country in the study.
Recent work by others has found many asthma patients are not receiving basic care for the condition, and that asthma deaths in the UK are on the rise.
In particular, concerns have been growing about the role of air pollution in asthma. The death of nine-year-old Ella Kissi-Debrah from London as a result of an asthma attack has been linked to illegal levels of pollutants, while doctors say they have been shocked at the number of cases of children ending up in hospital choking with asthma, apparently as a result of air pollution.
The World Health Organization, meanwhile, has branded air pollution the “new tobacco” in terms of its impact on public health, while experts say statistics showing it is behind 7 million early deaths a year are probably an underestimate. In the UK, air pollution is believed to be responsible for the deaths of about 40,000 people a year.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Hardly surprising to my mind.

Our sorry excuse for a government won't even pick the low hanging fruit...

Want to burn your garden waste in a built up area? No problem go right ahead.....

Want to bid for a school bus contract with a fleet of grossly polluting 15 year old diesel coaches? No problem, anything to save a few quid...

Want to smoke round in a filthy old diesel car? No problem, the MOT emissions test is so lax your car emit eyewatering levels of filth and still pass...

Want to run a train contract with diesel locomotives and DMU without the expense of emissions control equipment? Sure, no catalysts or filters needed

Want to retrofit a woodburner in a built up area? Not a problem, go right ahead

I wrote to my MP (Peter Heaton Jones) in an attempt to get him to pressure his government to take this crisis more seriously, the scoundrel wrote back saying he was "...proud of his government's record on air pollution..."

Words fail me
mikeonabike

Post by mikeonabike »

Mark R wrote:I wrote to my MP (Peter Heaton Jones) in an attempt to get him to pressure his government to take this crisis more seriously, the scoundrel wrote back saying he was "...proud of his government's record on air pollution..."

He probably meant that he's proud the govt is doing **** all about air pollution. None of this lefty green nonsense.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Some correlations between pollution and behaviour...
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2019041 ... killing-us
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Indeed. Lead in petrol was retrospectively linked to violent crime levels.

So much we still don't know about the effects of air pollution on our health, but one thing is for certain - it ain't making us any healthier.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.