Cycle Stands

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
MikeF

Cycle Stands

Post by MikeF »

Is there an advantage with this type of stand being installed in Birmingham?
Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 19.18.51.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 19.18.51.png (79.85 KiB) Viewed 1204 times

https://en-gb.facebook.com/BirminghamCycleRevolution/
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
peetee

Re: Cycle Stands

Post by peetee »

Well, they probably improve the look of the place!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I presume it's to stick with the Sheffield stand principle but without having to include a lower rail ie you get support for the bike and the middle bit provides a locking point at a lower level.
drossall

Post by drossall »

They look like decent stands with the main requirements met - lean the bike against them, don't prop by the wheel, and it's easy to lock both frame and wheels to the stand. Also properly secured to the ground. I'm not sure there's a best shape beyond that. Some are quite decorative, and why not?
mjr

Post by mjr »

drossall wrote:They look like decent stands with the main requirements met - lean the bike against them, don't prop by the wheel, and it's easy to lock both frame and wheels to the stand. Also properly secured to the ground. I'm not sure there's a best shape beyond that. Some are quite decorative, and why not?

Don't lean bikes against them else you'll scratch your paint. Put the bike on its stand next to them.

The slight advantage to the pictured one is easier locking of step-through frames, but Sheffield Extra or TfL A-shaped stands would be better because a lock can't be manipulated next to the floor as easily with those.

I've seen longer wave stands where you can stick wheels through each peak of the wave, but I don't think the pictured one is tall enough for that to be the intended use.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Might be easier to secure front wheel + frame & back wheel + frame to the stand than with a normal Sheffield stand
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 30 Jan 2019, 5:26am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Maybe something to do with access/egress from the bike.

When parking you can cycle directly between 2 stands and get off either side, stepping 'through' the stand, assuming there's not another bike occupying that space.......??

Ask the designer!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Might be easier to secure front wheel + frame & back wheel + frame to the stand than with a normal Sheffield stand

Yes, this is my experience. Better choice of locking positions than a normal sheffield stand.. They are good stands. A fair few round London, including British Museum forecourt. I was a bit bemused/doubtful the first time I encountered them, but I prefer them.
Sweep
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

MikeF wrote:Is there an advantage with this type of stand being installed in Birmingham?
Well they are definitely better than these proposed for central Worthing (to replace an existing group of heavily used Sheffield stands) :roll:
cyclestands.jpg
"42"
mjr

Post by mjr »

squeaker wrote:
MikeF wrote:Is there an advantage with this type of stand being installed in Birmingham?
Well they are definitely better than these proposed for central Worthing (to replace an existing group of heavily used Sheffield stands) :roll:
cyclestands.jpg

Lovely use of a SS/HG bike to avoid showing that those side rails will probably remove some long cage derailleurs! Trebles all round! :roll:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

SimonCelsa wrote:Maybe something to do with access/egress from the bike.

When parking you can cycle directly between 2 stands and get off either side, stepping 'through' the stand, assuming there's not another bike occupying that space.......??

Ask the designer!

Sheffield stands should be installed with plenty of room between to allow bikes to be locked on both sides. On the matter of security, with all the CCTV which has been installed in urban areas, I'd have hoped - probably in vain - that some sort of eye might be kept on those places where there are relatively large numbers of stands so that if somebody arrives tooled-up with a van, they might be noticed. Sad, sweet dreamer .....
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There are too few stands at my station, one time I could not find a place
The only thing to do was take my bike on the train :wink:
I could have used more time finding a stand elsewhere but then I would have had to get the next train an hour later
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Child bikes or step throughs don’t have a crossbar at height for a Sheffield stand. Yes, we know the rear triangle...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

squeaker wrote:
cyclestands.jpg
Were they proposed by West Sussex CC?? They were obviously proposed by someone who never rides a bike and understands what is involved in cycling as a means of transport. "These will be located conveniently away from main access routes, avoiding obstructions within the street" Convenient for whom???
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe conveniently on the edge of the CBD is meant :wink:, strangely expressed mind
I park my bike once on the edge of town, then walk, often I want to visit many different shops, the library &c. It would be crazy to cycle 100-200 meters, lock the bike again..