Schwalbe Winter Tyres

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ivorcadaver

Schwalbe Winter Tyres

Post by Ivorcadaver »

With the big freeze imminent, I have just spent an hour wrestling with a pair of Schwalbe winter tyres (the ones with the metal spikes) and some deep section rims. I think I might keep them on for the next few weeks but does anybody know the expected life of these tyres? When do the spikes get so worn that they are ineffective? Most of my commute will be on tarmac roads with spikes only required for the ungritted side roads and cycle paths.
foxyrider

Re: Schwalbe Winter Tyres

Post by foxyrider »

Schwalbe used to do packs of replacement studs.

Be careful crossing manhole covers but otherwise it's just a noisy ride. Because of the low mileage - and if you are on snow/ice, non abrasive ride surface they should last pretty well and do you several winters.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

foxyrider wrote:Schwalbe used to do packs of replacement studs.

Be careful crossing manhole covers but otherwise it's just a noisy ride. Because of the low mileage - and if you are on snow/ice, non abrasive ride surface they should last pretty well and do you several winters.

I've had mine 3 years on the heavy-duty winter-cum-shopping-cum-touring bike. They've done far more miles on wet roads than on icy roads and still have no discernible wear in stud or tyre.

The Schwalbe studs have a tungsten carbide core within their steel jackets and so wear very slowly, as tungsten carbide is very hard stuff indeed. There have been complaints about the short life of other studded tyres that are all-steel i' the stud. These soon wear away and become non-functional on the slippy stuff. Or so I read.

The Schwalbe winter Marathons do slow one a little bit on ordinary roads but not as much as you might suppose from all the rice krispy snap-crackle-pop noise they make. I also find them effective on the back roads that have thin green slime, liquid cow-muck and other thin lubricants that make the un-studded tyres spin madly when one applies the pedal-thrusts. I tend to use the Schwalbe studders for the deeper winter rides when the back roads are always wet and slimy with these gunks.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've had mine for 4 years and ride them on my commute whenever it looks likely to have ice on the road/paths.

Not lost a stud and can't see any discernible wear as yet.
mig

Post by mig »

yup had a set for many years. they don't get much use but no wear as above. have lost a stud or two though despite doing the 'bedding in' process thoroughly. not that one or two missing is going to worry me.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

mig wrote:yup had a set for many years. they don't get much use but no wear as above. have lost a stud or two though despite doing the 'bedding in' process thoroughly. not that one or two missing is going to worry me.

Much the same here. The studs I lost were early on and I replaced them.

I have now switched to Continental Winters (not studded). They roll a bit better but are not as good on very icy roads - having said that I haven't had any major skids and they are probably a better compromise for typical UK winters.
Ivorcadaver

Post by Ivorcadaver »

Can't praise them enough for grip this morning; no problem coping with about 1" of snow, slush and ice. They are heavy and hard work though!
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

I normally commute on a different bike, and have two a spare wheelset for the bike that does take the winter tyres, so I don't need to use them every day . That said I do use them whenever there's a risk, so I often find I'm using them when there's no real need. Three years in (albeit one of them wasn't particularly cold) and no studs gone and still look in very good condition. I would expect to at least double that before I worry about them.
Before that I used to use Nokians (now Suomi tyres I think?) I found them slightly better when there was some loose snow on top of the ice, but even slower on tarmac (although on a different bike).
This am the rear tyre, which only has the two rows of studs, was a bit slippy as it found its route along some of the more rutted sections of teh route, but only enough that it kept me awake, rather than in constant fear of it going sideways.
That said no tyre is perfect if you cycle as if it's midsummer, treat them with respect and they're brilliant
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Mine are on the 3rd winter and I have just replaced one 'spike'. This year I fitted them early December & have left them on since then. Bike in daily use but only around 7 miles per day. Although I still hear the 'crunchiness' on tarmac, the studs do seem to have recessed into the tyre somewhat, made more noticeable after fitting the new stud which really does sit good and proud. Having said that they haven't let me down yet but I still ride very carefully in snow & ice. I do notice the occasional rear wheel spin when on hard ice. I should really play around more with the pressures & deflate as necessary to facilitate better grip - studs are not central.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

was going to get a set, then, read some reviews, and was put off. A number of folks had commented that the spikes push thro into the tyre, causing punctures, then when the offending stud is removed, the tube then pops up thro the wee hole.
mjr

Post by mjr »

yostumpy wrote:was going to get a set, then, read some reviews, and was put off. A number of folks had commented that the spikes push thro into the tyre, causing punctures, then when the offending stud is removed, the tube then pops up thro the wee hole.

Where did you see those reviews? I've not had that or heard of it from other users before.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

yostumpy wrote:was going to get a set, then, read some reviews, and was put off. A number of folks had commented that the spikes push thro into the tyre, causing punctures, then when the offending stud is removed, the tube then pops up thro the wee hole.

I also haven't heard of that so don't know how common that is, but if it bothers you and you still want winter tyres the Continental Top Contact Winter II are well worth considering.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Emmmm ... spikes in tyres .... best of luck when your in front of the man in the curly wig, having shredded little Damien at the lights ... "He walked out in front of me" ... with your offensive weapon ... silly boy .... best of luck !

(Women in curly wigs are also available .... :) )
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mjr

Post by mjr »

landsurfer wrote:Emmmm ... spikes in tyres .... best of luck when your in front of the man in the curly wig, having shredded little Damien at the lights ... "He walked out in front of me" ... with your offensive weapon ... silly boy .... best of luck !

Little Damien isn't allowed out in the conditions where I'm using the studded tyres because it's clearly far safer for him to be safely ensconsed in a 4x4 sliding sideways across ice into oncoming traffic at 40mph than to try to walk on snow(!)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

mjr wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Emmmm ... spikes in tyres .... best of luck when your in front of the man in the curly wig, having shredded little Damien at the lights ... "He walked out in front of me" ... with your offensive weapon ... silly boy .... best of luck !

Little Damien isn't allowed out in the conditions where I'm using the studded tyres because it's clearly far safer for him to be safely ensconsed in a 4x4 sliding sideways across ice into oncoming traffic at 40mph than to try to walk on snow(!)

:lol: :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.