The Science of Cycle Helmet Safety

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
geomannie

Re: The Science of Cycle Helmet Safety

Postby geomannie » 30 Jan 2019, 4:44pm

Airsporter1st wrote:
geomannie wrote:Hi [XAP]Bob

I pretty much agree with your analysis. The best prevention is to be vigilant, though I have unfortunately had the opportunity to give helmets a serious test on 2 occasions.

Regarding the Headkayse (soft) helmet, I have many questions, including the longevity of the materials. That notwithstanding, I have been sufficiently intrigued to order one and will report back after I have used it for a short while.

Its been a while since you said you would report back - did the helmet fail?

I am afraid it has not yet been delivered. The manufacturer currently predicts delivery by April, but the date keeps shifting. I will report as soon as I can.

Cheers
geomannie

Airsporter1st

Postby Airsporter1st » 30 Jan 2019, 4:58pm

geomannie wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:
geomannie wrote:Hi [XAP]Bob

I pretty much agree with your analysis. The best prevention is to be vigilant, though I have unfortunately had the opportunity to give helmets a serious test on 2 occasions.

Regarding the Headkayse (soft) helmet, I have many questions, including the longevity of the materials. That notwithstanding, I have been sufficiently intrigued to order one and will report back after I have used it for a short while.

Its been a while since you said you would report back - did the helmet fail?

I am afraid it has not yet been delivered. The manufacturer currently predicts delivery by April, but the date keeps shifting. I will report as soon as I can.

Cheers

Thanks - I've just been reading about it on their website and that prompted me to do a search on here to see if anyone had any real-world experience of them. Look forward to hearing yours.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 30 Jan 2019, 6:46pm

Have a nice double layer beanie hat ... in wool ... if anyone wants one ........ :)
The Road Goes On Forever

Airsporter1st

Postby Airsporter1st » 30 Jan 2019, 6:54pm

landsurfer wrote:Have a nice double layer beanie hat ... in wool ... if anyone wants one ........ :)

I don't intend to get one - or a beanie hat here in Spain - just interested in the concept.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 30 Jan 2019, 6:56pm

Airsporter1st wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Have a nice double layer beanie hat ... in wool ... if anyone wants one ........ :)

I don't intend to get one - or a beanie hat here in Spain - just interested in the concept.

:lol:
Well here in South Yorkshire i'm wearing my beanie ....
The Road Goes On Forever

Airsporter1st

Postby Airsporter1st » 30 Jan 2019, 7:13pm

landsurfer wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:

:lol:
Well here in South Yorkshire i'm wearing my beanie ....

20degC+ and not a cloud in the sky this afternoon - not bad for midwinter.