The Science of Cycle Helmet Safety

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
User avatar
geomannie
Posts: 552
Joined: 13 May 2009, 6:07pm

Re: The Science of Cycle Helmet Safety

Postby geomannie » 30 Jan 2019, 4:44pm

Airsporter1st wrote:
geomannie wrote:Hi [XAP]Bob

I pretty much agree with your analysis. The best prevention is to be vigilant, though I have unfortunately had the opportunity to give helmets a serious test on 2 occasions.

Regarding the Headkayse (soft) helmet, I have many questions, including the longevity of the materials. That notwithstanding, I have been sufficiently intrigued to order one and will report back after I have used it for a short while.


Its been a while since you said you would report back - did the helmet fail?


I am afraid it has not yet been delivered. The manufacturer currently predicts delivery by April, but the date keeps shifting. I will report as soon as I can.

Cheers
geomannie

Airsporter1st
Posts: 564
Joined: 8 Oct 2016, 3:14pm

Re: The Science of Cycle Helmet Safety

Postby Airsporter1st » 30 Jan 2019, 4:58pm

geomannie wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:
geomannie wrote:Hi [XAP]Bob

I pretty much agree with your analysis. The best prevention is to be vigilant, though I have unfortunately had the opportunity to give helmets a serious test on 2 occasions.

Regarding the Headkayse (soft) helmet, I have many questions, including the longevity of the materials. That notwithstanding, I have been sufficiently intrigued to order one and will report back after I have used it for a short while.


Its been a while since you said you would report back - did the helmet fail?


I am afraid it has not yet been delivered. The manufacturer currently predicts delivery by April, but the date keeps shifting. I will report as soon as I can.

Cheers


Thanks - I've just been reading about it on their website and that prompted me to do a search on here to see if anyone had any real-world experience of them. Look forward to hearing yours.

landsurfer
Posts: 5081
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: The Science of Cycle Helmet Safety

Postby landsurfer » 30 Jan 2019, 6:46pm

Have a nice double layer beanie hat ... in wool ... if anyone wants one ........ :)
The Road Goes On Forever

Airsporter1st
Posts: 564
Joined: 8 Oct 2016, 3:14pm

Re: The Science of Cycle Helmet Safety

Postby Airsporter1st » 30 Jan 2019, 6:54pm

landsurfer wrote:Have a nice double layer beanie hat ... in wool ... if anyone wants one ........ :)


I don't intend to get one - or a beanie hat here in Spain - just interested in the concept.

landsurfer
Posts: 5081
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: The Science of Cycle Helmet Safety

Postby landsurfer » 30 Jan 2019, 6:56pm

Airsporter1st wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Have a nice double layer beanie hat ... in wool ... if anyone wants one ........ :)


I don't intend to get one - or a beanie hat here in Spain - just interested in the concept.


:lol:
Well here in South Yorkshire i'm wearing my beanie ....
The Road Goes On Forever

Airsporter1st
Posts: 564
Joined: 8 Oct 2016, 3:14pm

Re: The Science of Cycle Helmet Safety

Postby Airsporter1st » 30 Jan 2019, 7:13pm

landsurfer wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Have a nice double layer beanie hat ... in wool ... if anyone wants one ........ :)


I don't intend to get one - or a beanie hat here in Spain - just interested in the concept.


:lol:
Well here in South Yorkshire i'm wearing my beanie ....


20degC+ and not a cloud in the sky this afternoon - not bad for midwinter.