Bike and cyclist transfer from Saint-Malo to Nantes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
danspeakman

Bike and cyclist transfer from Saint-Malo to Nantes

Post by danspeakman »

Hi

Does anyone know if there are companies who would collect us and our touring bikes from the ferry port an then drive us to Nantes?

My dad and I are heading for a two week Loire trip next year and we’d like to see as much of the river as possible.

Thanks
simonhill

Re: Bike and cyclist transfer from Saint-Malo to Nantes

Post by simonhill »

I just googled it to see how far and it's 177 kms, so a taxi is out. You could probably get a mini bus, but that would be very expensive.

There are trains, may involve a change, about 2½ to 3 and a bit hours. Have a look at the French bit of Trainline.
Bez

Post by Bez »

I was looking at similar train routes recently. Nantes is 2.5 to 3.5 hours and one or two changes (Rennes plus in a few cases Le Mans). One way fare is around 35€, services are TER (plenty of space for bikes, and free).
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I'd be tempted to hire one in Nantes. You can drop it off when you have finished at a few cities along the Loire.
https://detoursdeloire.com/en/bike-rentals
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I have caught the train into st Malo before. Rennes is the regional hub so youll probably change there. It’s ok- as others have said aim for TER trains. It’s also a nice route down to say Nantes or further inland on the Loire to cycle if you have time.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

SNCF, alors, mais out!
Please do not contribute to TDC, the tragedy of drive-cycling
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
JJF

Post by JJF »

My partner and I took the train from St Malo to Nantes a few years ago. The journey involved a fairly lengthy wait for a connection at Rennes.
We had a short ride from the station at Nantes to our first overnight stay then the following day set out on Eurovelo 6.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Next year!!! A lot can happen in 18 months. I guess you would be riding summer 2020? Anyway I would cycle all or half of it depending on where the longest wait for a connection would lie, before or after Rennes. You could do it in a day depending on how fit and how much luggage you are carrying. There are lots of pretty and quiet back roads you could take.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Just a thought - I know that the Loire valley is popular for cycling, but unless you're particularly into wine-tasting or chateaux then Brittany has more to offer for cyclists in my opinion. No need for a train then!
Chris F, Cornwall
F70100

Post by F70100 »

Would a one day, one-way car hire do the job?
danspeakman

Post by danspeakman »

Thank you all for your suggestions! We are aiming to ride for 2 weeks in early June 2020 so have plenty of time still to organise.
Regarding trains, we’ve had eventful experiences with British trains and our touring bikes so may consider the option of thechire car idea.
Thanks again, keep the ideas coming!
mjr

Post by mjr »

danspeakman wrote:Regarding trains, we’ve had eventful experiences with British trains and our touring bikes so may consider the option of thechire car idea.

I think it's a bit baby-out-of-bathwater to avoid TER trains based on the trouble some British trains give! I don't remember seeing any reports of serious problems with TER trains except the occasional "too full" but I've also seen pictures of recent upgrades to add more cycle storage so who knows what they'll be using by next year? However, I've not used TERs yet - only Belgian and Dutch InterCitys so far... and I suspect I'm going to fail to use Luxembourg ones this year and choose to use a bike shuttle bus instead!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

danspeakman wrote:Hi

Does anyone know if there are companies who would collect us and our touring bikes from the ferry port an then drive us to Nantes?

My dad and I are heading for a two week Loire trip next year and we’d like to see as much of the river as possible.

Thanks

Why not take a boat trip instead? Just a thought.

I don't know how much cycling you do, your levels of fitness or ages or the cycle touring experience you both have but I would be cycling in this region as cycling in France is a joy compared to the UK as is travelling by train in France. It's so much better than in the UK.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Bez

Post by Bez »

danspeakman wrote:Regarding trains, we’ve had eventful experiences with British trains and our touring bikes so may consider the option of the hire car idea.

Having taken bikes on British trains and TER trains, I think this is a bit like saying you're not going to eat out when you get to France because you've never really liked Nando's.