Average Commute Length? Massive Increase Possible…

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Average Commute Length? Massive Increase Possible…

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I did a bike commute once, which was a 170 miles round trip. I didn’t do it a lot, but it was something I chose to do a couple of times.
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:I did a bike commute once, which was a 170 miles round trip. I didn’t do it a lot, but it was something I chose to do a couple of times.

:shock:
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
londoncommuter0000

thirdcrank wrote:I really enjoyed my commuting and except for the quick changeovers (finish at 10pm, start again at 6am in the morning) I found shiftwork - generally avoiding rush hours - ideal. My last few months at work were during the passage of the Hale-Bopp comet and I had plenty of opportunities to see it in the early hours, as well as surprising foxes etc. It's also a great way of clearing the head of all the day's troubles: usually the first few pedal turns were enough for me to do that. But the longer the daily ride, especially if there are no viable alternatives to offer a bit of variety, then it risks becoming a bit daunting.

The ride into London and back out is definitely the best part of the day. When I leave early - around 05:00-05:15, I will often get to the end of our street and just burst into spontaneous laughter.

One memorable morning up in Scotland, I had a 2 mile ride to the station after a night shift, a fifteen minute train ride and then another twenty minutes on the bike to get home. And one January, it had been snowing but there was only a couple of mm on the ground so I was still riding, albeit gingerly. And I suddenly became aware of movement off to my right. Looking over, I saw about four or five young deer who had thitherto been entirely invisible to me as they had not been moving, now bounding away. The gentle rise and fall of their white tails, almost in slow motion, was mesmerising.
--
London is a cesspit
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

londoncommuter0000 wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:I did a bike commute once, which was a 170 miles round trip. I didn’t do it a lot, but it was something I chose to do a couple of times.

:shock:

Quite, it was central Southampton to Old Street in London and back. It was fun, but not something I’d like to do too often. My usual bike commutes are between 9 and 20 miles each way ( 18 to 40 miles round trip ) these days.
irc

Post by irc »

End of the day it depends on the rider. Having done commutes of various lengths up to 18 miles each way I found anything past about 12 miles each way started taking too much time out my day to do every day.

I was lucky in that I commuted off peak and had 100% secure parking and showers at work.

The towpath section at 7am off a summer night shift was always great.
londoncommuter0000

irc wrote:End of the day it depends on the rider. Having done commutes of various lengths up to 18 miles each way I found anything past about 12 miles each way started taking too much time out my day to do every day.

I was lucky in that I commuted off peak and had 100% secure parking and showers at work.

The towpath section at 7am off a summer night shift was always great.

I too have secure parking, access to which is strictly controlled. Showers are fabulous, with the actual shower room being a 15 second walk from my desk. Drying area included.
--
London is a cesspit
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In my teens, I did several all-night rides with a friend and found them really enjoyable. I remember once when we were in the middle of Selby in thick fog at 3am, sitting on a bench while we had a hot drink and a laugh. Our jollity attracted the attention of a lone PC, patrolling with a six-foot stave of the type carried by Robin Hood's merrye men. No sooner had he begun to ask what we were about than we could hear through the fog the screeching of a car approaching at a silly speed. As he disappeared into the fog to investigate, armed with only a bit of wood against all comers, we quietly slipped away in the other direction. When I was counting down to retirement and making mental lists of the rides to do when I had the luxury of more time, I briefly thought of more all-nighters but it was very briefly because I soon thought, where's the excitement in staying up all night? :lol: (NB There are some 91 night shifts in a typical year.)
londoncommuter0000

thirdcrank wrote:In my teens, I did several all-night rides with a friend and found them really enjoyable. I remember once when we were in the middle of Selby in thick fog at 3am, sitting on a bench while we had a hot drink and a laugh. Our jollity attracted the attention of a lone PC, patrolling with a six-foot stave of the type carried by Robin Hood's merrye men. No sooner had he begun to ask what we were about than we could hear through the fog the screeching of a car approaching at a silly speed. As he disappeared into the fog to investigate, armed with only a bit of wood against all comers, we quietly slipped away in the other direction. When I was counting down to retirement and making mental lists of the rides to do when I had the luxury of more time, I briefly thought of more all-nighters but it was very briefly because I soon thought, where's the excitement in staying up all night? :lol: (NB There are some 91 night shifts in a typical year.)

Ever thought of doing the Dunwich?
--
London is a cesspit
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

londoncommuter0000 wrote:... Ever thought of doing the Dunwich?

Nope.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

By direct route to work is 19km and in the morning I will do up to 26km but on way back home most times will add up to an extra 30km and thus keeps getting mileage without too much time from home