ALPKIT for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nigzy

ALPKIT for touring

Post by nigzy »

Hi all,

Has anyone had experience, with the ALPKIT brand,

Looking at the Down jackets and sleeping bag's

My Montane jackets had its day and as for me snugpak sleeping bag its wearing a bit thin ..

Appreciate any advice Thanks in advance
hamster

Re: ALPKIT for touring

Post by hamster »

Thoroughly delighted with the down Alpkit jacket I bought a decade ago - still in daily use in the winter.
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

IME Alpkit stuff is reasonable quality and decent VFM, and their customer service is supposed to be pretty good (I've never had to use it).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I've not made a big purchase from them, just bits and pieces, but I've heard only good things about them. In fact the only negative was on here where someone was bemoaning a lack of stock when the (presumably short) production run ran out.
fossala

Post by fossala »

I've got a bunch of their bikepacking bags for my fat bike. Works well, can't complain.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I’ve got the alpkit dumo mat and i had the best camping trip sleep on it I’ve ever had.
nigzy

Post by nigzy »

Thanks All

I liking the bonds (guarantee) they seem to tick a few boxes

Looks like a ALPKIT jacket on the cards and possible sleeping bag
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have a lot of Alpkit stuff - mainly for hill walking. Down jacket, bivvy bag, tarp, merino underwear, winter cycling gloves, cycling chamois pants.I have never had less than brilliantt service and the products are excellent and well priced.
John
PH

Post by PH »

I've got a few small bits, all have been good, some just good for the price, others would be good at any price. Customer service is also first class, I broke the zip in a top tube bag, admitted I'd overstuffed it and asked if there was anything they could do, they replaced the bag FOC. If there's a few items you're looking for, one of the shops might be worth a visit, not only get a feel for the kit, but they sometimes have a few bits that are not on the website. I've only been to the one in Heathersage (And the warehouse before they had shops) be a nice ride for you and a chance to test the kit before riding home :wink:
mxg01

Post by mxg01 »

I've got various bits, dry bags, sleeping bag + mat, small stove, mug thing and head torch. All good quality. I've used Alpkit stuff for everything from winter climbing to summer cycle touring. I have a down sleeping bag. It's a Pipedream 400. Way too warm for summer in France but good for spring in Scotland. I only took it to France because it was lighter and packed way smaller than my old synthetic bag.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I have various pieces of Alpkit stuff - down jacket, headtorch, dry bags, bivi bag, all good quality and good price. I used to have a really comfy self inflating mat of theirs until I managed to pitch my tent on a lot of small thorns! :(
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

It's good stuff and their service has always seemed pretty good. I'd say not the best you can buy, but more than up to most people's needs and in terms of bangs/buck as good as anything. Those of us having a snob attack requiring the best (not that I'd ever be so shallow... oh, hang on...) should probably stop and remember that that kind of stuff is fit for elite mountain marathon runners, 8,000m and polar expeditions etc. Unless you're riding across the Antarctic or the like I don't think you'd have to worry it's not good enough (and even if you were those worries would quite possibly be unfounded).

We had a couple of their self-inflating mats for the sproggen and they were clearly not as good as our Thermarests. So why didn't we get them T-rests? Because they'd have cost us twice as much and we didn't know if said sproggen would like camping (one did, one didn't...). Our head-torches are Alpkits, we've lots of their tent pegs and dry bags etc. and I've not seen anything to put me off them.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Just got back from Iceland (the country not the supermarket :-)) My 5 year old Alpkit down jacket was my trusty piece of kit again in -12 air temperature and a good wind blowing. Only downside is I can easily find it too warm if it's not seriously cold.

Got a lot of their other stuff too. Always faultless.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Huck

Post by Huck »

I've used Alpkit since they started trading and they have always given me nothing less than quality gear & service. Most of my gear has been hillwalking related but I do have some of their bike luggage. If you go to their HQ or one of their shops, the free coffee is great. The Hathersage shop did a mean Lemon cake a few weeks ago.
Tabby

Post by Tabby »

I find Alpkit excellent. I’ve had one of their down jackets for a couple of years and wear it all the time (even in summer). I find it very good to cycle in because it’s quite close fitting. I’ve also bought merino wool jumpers which are good under cycling shirts in winter.
Definitely a go-to online shop for me.

Tabby
CTC member since 1985