Lightweight bike lock

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
andrew_s

Re: Lightweight bike lock

Post by andrew_s »

nirakaro wrote:A quick turn of the bolt in the top of the quill stem left the bike quite unrideable, and weighed precisely zero.
I had a stem where that was the main feature. With the key in, it was a normal stem; with the key out, there was no steering at all.

I did try riding it without the key one time (leaving the pub :)) and got all of 0.5 m before falling off.

It was quite handy at home too - made the bike much easier to get past in the hall.
In the end, the lock jammed and it became unusable.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I fancy some of this depends on the location. If you stop at a café which is well-known as a place popular with cyclists, then it might attract thieves with a big van who could just lift them in and then away. The only safe bike would be the one that was locked to something substantial.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Jamesh wrote:https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Surelock-Air-Loop-Combination-Cable-Lock_68329.htm?sku=206271&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAyrXiBRAjEiwATI95makFsF5mWfJZoflgu99hruftZV0C5ovInMcdrs6uWWRQqTgGH_jighoC0jgQAvD_BwE

Any views to how effective these are for cafe stops or any better alternatives?

Next to useless but marginally better than nothing. A small pair of cable cutters would have this off in a second. My bike got stolen locked up on a busy cathedral forecourt within about 20 minutes in the middle of a weekday. It had a cable that was much more substantial than this one. Small bolt croppers hidden and used in a plastic bag had it away easily, in about 5 seconds. The armoured cable locks are no better, the cable inside the flimsy 'armour' is only a little thicker than the lock you asked about. Best policy is to always take your front wheel inside with you and leave your bike at the back of the pile of more expensive bikes!
These types of locks look promising for that sort of use, but expensive
LITELOK Gold Original Bike Lock (Boa Green) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0792G863T/ ... tCbKVW16KR
Despite what they say they aren't too difficult to saw through with a good quality hacksaw blade, and can be twisted off, but are still more secure than other locks of that weight I guess, will take longer to break and be a little more of a conspicuous theft.
Last edited by gregoryoftours on 28 Jan 2019, 5:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

From that Amazon link:-

Litelok weighs just 1.1 Kg (2.4 lbs)

(My emphasis)

Buy a heavier bike which might be less attractive to thieves and almost certainly cheaper.

Here's a vid of thelockpickinglawyer cutting one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On0DGcDlc

To be fair, there are plenty of other vids showing him destroying most bike locks
Last edited by thirdcrank on 28 Jan 2019, 5:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

thirdcrank wrote:From that Amazon link:-

Litelok weighs just 1.1 Kg (2.4 lbs)

(My emphasis)

Buy a heavier bike which might be less attractive to thieves and almost certainly cheaper.

Oh yes, bloody hell! For that weight I'd just get a small good quality good brand d-lock, and just have to sort out a good way of mounting it, or one of the abus bordo locks that mount neatly and securely to your bottle bosses. Think of the extra weight as a training aid! Having said that if a tool-less thief chances it any lock is better than none
freiston

Post by freiston »

For town/city centre/lengthy stops, I tend to use a heavy chain/padlock and a D-lock, but they are bulky and weigh 3.33 kg. For cafe stops or similar (or for "just in case"), I now take a Kryptonite six link "dog bone" chain with built in lock (Keeper 695). The website says 1.12 kg but without the carrier, mine weighs 0.87 kg and fits very nicely in a bag or even a large pocket - mine usually goes into my handlebar bag. I got mine for £22. I find it a bit more versatile than a U-lock and I suspect it is more of a deterrent than a cable lock (though I do sometimes use a cable with any of my locks).
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
irc

Post by irc »

I,m using a 550g D lock for local rides. Only drawback is it won,t fit round many metal poles. Bike racks or metal fences are best bet usually.

https://www.ortre.com/store/p5/BI5_U_Lock_-_Large.html
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Light, cheap, strong: pick any two.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mick F wrote:
Jamesh wrote:I could just use the kids coil lock!
Yes, that would be my choice.
Generally though, I don't lock my bikes up.
Just sit where you can see it and/or where you can see comings and goings.

I often stop at pubs and cafes out on a ride. Can't remember the last time I even took a lock with me.

You are lucky in where you ride mickf. I know someone who was sitting on a bench in a london park, bike to his side/bit behind him. Bike was taken. In truth, I would advise using a small cable lock at least. I would suggest a couple of lighter weight locks for the OP but it seems that the main bike is a carbon lightweight and I presume with no rack, so a light small cable it will have to be I suppose.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

irc wrote:I,m using a 550g D lock for local rides. Only drawback is it won,t fit round many metal poles. Bike racks or metal fences are best bet usually.

Did you buy yours here/europe? Don't think many of us would have a lock shipped from the states.

By the by, need to check their grammar to match the sleek design - "your".
Sweep
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

thirdcrank wrote:I fancy some of this depends on the location. If you stop at a café which is well-known as a place popular with cyclists, then it might attract thieves with a big van who could just lift them in and then away. The only safe bike would be the one that was locked to something substantial.

My solution is to ride a bike that looks worst than everyone else’s, and to use a lock that looks a bit better than theirs.

After all, I don’t have to outrun the bear ...
irc

Post by irc »

Sweep wrote:
irc wrote:I,m using a 550g D lock for local rides. Only drawback is it won,t fit round many metal poles. Bike racks or metal fences are best bet usually.

Did you buy yours here/europe? Don't think many of us would have a lock shipped from the states.
".

The States? Australian company I believe. I bought it from their website. Those are Australian dollar prices. So currently around £27 including 5 day shipping. Not cheap, but not too bad for something better than a cable lock but lighter than a standard D lock. I think it's 9mm steel with a plastic sleeve over it.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I used to have a lock very similar to this. It worked for a month or two then the internal mechanism failed and the combination wouldn't open it any more, which was irritating because the bike was locked up with it. However, I was able to prise it open with a very small screwdriver - under the eyes of half a dozen strangers, not one of whom made a sound.

Nowadays I use the cable from it, with a small brass padlock, outside cafés - but only when I have the bike in sight.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

irc wrote:
Sweep wrote:

".

The States? Australian company I believe. I bought it from their website. Those are Australian dollar prices. So currently around £27 including 5 day shipping. Not cheap, but not too bad for something better than a cable lock but lighter than a standard D lock. I think it's 9mm steel with a plastic sleeve over it.

Customs charges/complications from australia as well?
When on a proper keyboard will return with a suggestion.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Onguard-Neon ... 4897776266

I have one.

Not the toughest of D locks of course, indeed it is a bit of a bluff.

It is light though and I use it in appropriate places.

Best to get the all black one I think - or sharp eyed thieves will note that there is a certain amount of plastic in it.
Sweep