Sore Back on the hills...... why

ndwgolf

Sore Back on the hills...... why

Post by ndwgolf »

Monday I did a 92 kilometers ride with 1800 feet of climes. I had a sore lower back from 40 to 60 kilometers (where Mose of the hills are) after the hills I was okay...... tired but okay but with sore knees as well
Wednesday I went for a bike fitting and they made a few adjustments to my Road bike to get my angles correct
Today I did the same ride, back was killing me again from 40 to 60 kilometers, but today my knees were fine........ we also did the ride slower today by 1kph
What’s with the lower back pain on hills?.
I’m 61 years young
6’3”
110 kilos
Bike Trek Madone SLR7

Neil

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
ndwgolf

Re: Sore Back on the hills...... why

Post by ndwgolf »

Today’s ride
ImageImage

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Mods how do I get rid of that stupid signature .......something about a phone???

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

On a slope your position will be slightly different. If it's the very lower back; just above the buttocks, you are probably putting pressure on your sciatic nerve.

You might be able to resolve it just by shifting your weight forward a little. But if it were me, I would go back to the place where I got the fitting and explain the problem.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

ndwgolf wrote:Mods how do I get rid of that stupid signature .......something about a phone???

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=111811
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Vorpal wrote:
ndwgolf wrote:Mods how do I get rid of that stupid signature .......something about a phone???

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=111811

[emoji120]
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Vorpal wrote:On a slope your position will be slightly different. If it's the very lower back; just above the buttocks, you are probably putting pressure on your sciatic nerve.

You might be able to resolve it just by shifting your weight forward a little. But if it were me, I would go back to the place where I got the fitting and explain the problem.

Had another thought.... this could be the result of having the saddle a little too high or too low. IMO too high is more likely than too low.
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Vorpal wrote:
Vorpal wrote:On a slope your position will be slightly different. If it's the very lower back; just above the buttocks, you are probably putting pressure on your sciatic nerve.

Had another thought.... this could be the result of having the saddle a little too high or too low. IMO too high is more likely than too low.

We lowered it on Wednesday 15mm if I remember rightly ........on the flats it’s no problem
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Any one of or a combination of:-
The bike:- Saddle height or fore and aft position,cleat position,handlebar too low,too stretched out,overgeared.

You:- lack of flexibility,lack of core strength,pushing yourself beyond your limits for fitness level.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

I forgot to mention that the guy that fitted me for my bike told me to increase my cadance to a minimum of 90 but preferably 100 plus. I can manage 80 but anything-more than that and it just doesn’t feel natural. ........... normally my cadance is around 70

Neil
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

ndwgolf wrote:I forgot to mention that the guy that fitted me for my bike told me to increase my cadance to a minimum of 90 but preferably 100 plus. I can manage 80 but anything-more than that and it just doesn’t feel natural. ........... normally my cadance is around 70

Neil

Here
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ndwgolf wrote:I forgot to mention that the guy that fitted me for my bike told me to increase my cadance to a minimum of 90 but preferably 100 plus. I can manage 80 but anything-more than that and it just doesn’t feel natural. ........... normally my cadance is around 70

Neil

Which will be a LOT less when climbing,which in turn puts considerable strain on the lower back,learning to spin and lowering the gearing for the hills will alleviate the back strain.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cadence is directly link to foot speed.
You’re quite tall so probably longlegs, your crank length will limit your comfortable cadence.
I would only recommend high cadence like that if you wanted maximum power up at all times.
Then that’s If you’re Fit enough to maintain it.
You’re slow comfortable cadence is a bit of a giveaway.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Neil

The question you’ve to ask yourself is Do you want to be a super fit/ fast cyclist and compete with the best of them or do you want to ride a bike comfortably and enjoyably?
I’ll bet the guy who took your money was younger than you :lol:
Yes try and increase your cadence but don’t get hung up on specific numbers. Get comfy on the bike It sounds like the drop in saddle height has helped the knees. Regarding back pain how’s your core strength and how much lower than the saddle are your bars?

I’ve just seen your average cadence is quite low.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Core strength is quite good for supporting 6 Heineken’s and 3 bags of cheese and onion crisps........... Lol
I’ve recently dropped 10 kilos and continue to try and drop more but beer is a killer Image