** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by 661-Pete »

Time for a bit of light diversion, methinks....
[youtube]z_Nq3xuHkgE[/youtube]
Go on! You want to watch, even if you hate Python .... admit it!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
A bit b4 my time, so I did not watch that much.
Where are our comedians today, I do miss comedy on the box :P

Not sure whats happening to day on politics, off for tea for one, probably 1/2 a tin on burnt bread :lol: Home made bread :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:just as the GFA wasnt an easy soln but here we are, The EU will only accept easy solns.

How long did the GFA take? How many years of conflict before we tried the sensible approach to sort it out?

If you don't want a deal then simply create red lines that nobody will accept and insist on sticking to them.

From where I'm sat the EU is looking after itself - and it's doing a pretty good job of it.
We otoh can't even agree on what we want.

If the country collapses post brexit then I'd have no sympathy for it or us. We absolutely deserve it, and tbh I'm beginning to relish the thought.

yes exactly what they have done

I relish the thought of the EU having to break the GFA and impose a hard border that Eire have to police - its what Eire deserves - they should have known better. The EU dont want a sensible approach only one that satisfies their rules and <expletive deleted> the British, why the backstop is all wrong.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:PS:
I'm off out now.
Off down the pub, and I'll get some common sense from that lot. :lol:

We can discuss 3pin plugs, greases and lubrication, the weather, cars, the demise of the British cycle industries, pheasant shooting, mobile phone signals, and the price of beer.
Back now.
Had a few drinks. :lol:

We managed 3pin plugs, weather, pheasants, beer prices, and climbing the radio mast up by Princetown on Dartmoor.
Plus ....... Anglo Saxons, Brexit, lack of representation of the real people in parliament and how the present MPs should be shot, and how the aristocracy should be running the country and how the elected house of lords should be disbanded and how lords of the manor should be only allowed if they have more than 500 acres each.

Meanwhile, the weather stories have been enjoyed, but chatting to a lady who served a winter in Trondheim had lots to say. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mercalia wrote:I relish the thought of the EU having to break the GFA and impose a hard border that Eire have to police - its what Eire deserves - they should have known better. The EU dont want a sensible approach only one that satisfies their rules and <expletive deleted> the British, why the backstop is all wrong.

Firstly, "relishing" such a scenario is pretty distasteful.

Secondly, the whole idea that the EU is being unreasonable or bullying is bizarre. They're not remotely using their power unreasonably - they have the capacity to starve us if they really wanted that.

The problem in NI is entirely caused by is. We are demanding contradictory things. The circle cannot be squared.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:I relish the thought of the EU having to break the GFA and impose a hard border that Eire have to police - its what Eire deserves - they should have known better. The EU dont want a sensible approach only one that satisfies their rules and <expletive deleted> the British, why the backstop is all wrong.

How is that going to happen then?
That's why the current deal is a none starter.

No, in the end if anyone screws it up it'll be us. We're doing a pretty good job of screwing most things up at the moment, brexit or otherwise. No point in stopping now.
Anyway the EU simply aren't going to allow us to trade outside the union with no border, ditto it's fairly unlikely the WTO will allow it either.

It's us that want out, can't blame someone else for your own stupidity.
As for Ireland being solely responsible for a border, dream on. Any border will be policed on both sides because both sides will have to track what's moving through for their own accounting.

I'm curious, if we bomb out and manage to get WTO status and then someone complains and we're forced to put a border in place - I take it you'll think the WTO are being unreasonable too?

As my old gran used to say: "You made your bed, now lie in it". :lol:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Thread pruning has been done.

If your post is missing or edited, chances are
- someone has taken offence;
- your post quoted something that someone took offence to; OR
- it was a case of baby & bathwater. Sorry, if that's the case.

On the other hand, try not to insult each other. It's probably safer to avoid saying things that begin with 'You are...', unless you are certain that they are compliments.

I prefer that talk about EU vs British plugs to the Brexit stuff, but hey ho.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

mercalia wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:They must be very sure of the benefits. Perhaps mercalia could list some.

Mercalia, have you remembered any yet?

I want to remain in the EU.

I'm intrigued, if you want to remain in the EU then why did you vote to leave?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Vorpal wrote:
I prefer that talk about EU vs British plugs to the Brexit stuff, but hey ho.

Well we keep plugging away.

Though it's clear which plugs are the most effective!

Indeed without a plug from various sources the whole short circuit could have been avoided.

Still I feel pretty grounded and there no point in blowing a fuse.

At this time of night most of the energy is wind generated anyway!

Though conventionally generated, with nuclear as a base load, will resume tomrw as demand starts to overwhelm capacity.

I'll get me coat.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:
kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:just as the GFA wasnt an easy soln but here we are, The EU will only accept easy solns.

How long did the GFA take? How many years of conflict before we tried the sensible approach to sort it out?

If you don't want a deal then simply create red lines that nobody will accept and insist on sticking to them.

From where I'm sat the EU is looking after itself - and it's doing a pretty good job of it.

If the country collapses post brexit then I'd have no sympathy for it or us. We absolutely deserve it, and tbh I'm beginning to relish the thought.

I relish the thought of the EU having to break the GFA and impose a hard border that Eire have to police - its what Eire deserves - they should have known better. The EU don't want a sensible approach only one that satisfies their rules and <expletive deleted> the British, why the backstop is all wrong.

The other point is that the EU is not a signatory of the GFA, so we have no more rights to make them consider or comply with it than the EU has to make us consider an independent agreement between Germany and France, or Italy and Macedonia (choose your own combination) as part of this process

As for Eire, they are the innocent victims of the unilateral decision of the UK to recover, maintain and enforce its borders. Eire never had say in the matte.
661-Pete

Re: ** The 13A Plug Thread ** - "13 Amps" Means "13 Amps"

Post by 661-Pete »

Vorpal wrote:I prefer that talk about EU vs British plugs to the Brexit stuff, but hey ho.
Suits me too :mrgreen:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

... an before we have any more bleating about the GFA, lets actually look at how the Government itself is already breaking it and ignoring the basic tenets of the agreement

Lets get back to the basics...... supporters of brexit demanded that we took back control of the borders without even considering the consequences because of a irrational fear of immigration. Now we have exactly what he people voted for, we apparently want to blame someone else for that decision

Seems to me that we are not only stockpiling food and medicines but also scapegoats to blame for our own stupidity and folly
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Not sure whats happening to day on politics, off for tea for one, probably 1/2 a tin on burnt bread :lol: Home made bread :)
Intriguing. Half a tin of what? However, I do approve of your home made bread habit! I may utterly disagree with your politics, but there are some good points.....
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

661-Pete wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Not sure whats happening to day on politics, off for tea for one, probably 1/2 a tin on burnt bread :lol: Home made bread :)
Intriguing. Half a tin of what? However, I do approve of your home made bread habit! I may utterly disagree with your politics, but there are some good points.....

Its called Poteen:

Also explains why an Irish border is unpopular..... affects distribution
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:
mercalia wrote:
kwackers wrote:How long did the GFA take? How many years of conflict before we tried the sensible approach to sort it out?

I relish the thought of the EU having to break the GFA and impose a hard border that Eire have to police - its what Eire deserves - they should have known better. The EU don't want a sensible approach only one that satisfies their rules and <expletive deleted> the British, why the backstop is all wrong.

The other point is that the EU is not a signatory of the GFA, so we have no more rights to make them consider or comply with it than the EU has to make us consider an independent agreement between Germany and France, or Italy and Macedonia (choose your own combination) as part of this process

As for Eire, they are the innocent victims of the unilateral decision of the UK to recover, maintain and enforce its borders. Eire never had say in the matte.

so why are they butting in then now in the backstop unless they are using it as a ruse to really protect the EU. They should have told the Irish that sorry the GFA is a matter between you and the Uk and we cannot get involved, any issue of hard borders can only be discussed after the UK has left as it is part of the trade talks. Cannt have it both ways.