Sturmey Archer combine e-motor and 5s hub

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Sturmey Archer combine e-motor and 5s hub

Post by Brucey »

in 2017 this was announced;

https://cyclingindustry.news/sunrace-sturmey-archer-create-5-speed-motor-gear-hub-for-accell/

This motor/hub is (IMHO) a clever approach, because (unlike BB motors such as shimano steps) it does not pass the motor loadings though the IGH. It also appears to use the same internal as other 'C50' type SA 5s hubs, with mainly modifications to the hubshell. Asides from front wheel motors and clip-on rear motors this is the first time you can get a direct drive motor with an IGH. Downsides include that the range of sprockets to fit this hub (which has an oversize driver spline) does not include small ones, so if you want to go very fast you will have to pedal like fury or fit a huge chainring.

I expected to see this unit on Batavus and Sparta branded bikes, amongst others, but have not yet seen one in the flesh. Anyone have any experience?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rjb

Re: Sturmey Archer combine e-motor and 5s hub

Post by rjb »

That's nice, its too much to expect that I could remove the dynamo and replace it with this motor on my 3 spd Sturmey dynohub :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

40nm of torque seems adequate to me :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

242% - that’s 12-30 teeth equivalent.
Not too shabby.
Didn’t see any clues as to the positioning of the range though - is it all up like the 8 speed,!or direct drive in the middle somewhere?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the 5s gear is like the other C50 type hubs then the middle gear is direct drive.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~