....how often helmet camera footage is used?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
elmo

Police use of bike camera footageGreetings.

Post by elmo »

Greetings all,
I am an infrequent computer user so apologies if this has been covered. I have noted on this forum a reluctance from police to take note of cyclists camera footage on road incidents. I have over the past month or so seen a few reports in our local press of minor road incidents and the police appealing for dash cam footage.
Has police response changed recently or are cameras in cars more important that those on bikes? Just wondering.

Elmo
andrew_s

Re: Police use of bike camera footageGreetings.

Post by andrew_s »

Disregarded bike cam footage is mostly a case of poor diving but no actual accident.
Appeals for dash cam footage are "does anyone have footage relevant to this accident". Bike cam footage would be welcomed just the same as car dashcam footage.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

andrew_s wrote:Disregarded bike cam footage is mostly a case of poor diving but no actual accident.
Appeals for dash cam footage are "does anyone have footage relevant to this accident". Bike cam footage would be welcomed just the same as car dashcam footage.

I live in the triangle surrounded by three force areas...They all welcome any type of camera footage.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

andrew_s wrote:Disregarded bike cam footage is mostly a case of poor diving but no actual accident.

Have to admit I'd view any incident on the bike which involved me diving, as an accident :wink:

(Nb. Back to the perennial question; why do cyclists struggle with spelling? Do they ride, rather than drive, due to issues with the written language?)
Last edited by gbnz on 2 Feb 2019, 2:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

gbnz wrote:(Nb. Back to the perennial question; why do cyclists struggle with spelling? Do they ride, rather than drive, due to issues with the written language?)

Nah - It's all them exhaust fumes have addled their brains :shock:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

elmo wrote:Greetings all,
I am an infrequent computer user so apologies if this has been covered. I have noted on this forum a reluctance from police to take note of cyclists camera footage on road incidents. I have over the past month or so seen a few reports in our local press of minor road incidents and the police appealing for dash cam footage.
Has police response changed recently or are cameras in cars more important that those on bikes? Just wondering.

Elmo

They'll use it when it suits them disregard it when it doesn't.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

cyclemad wrote: ... I live in the triangle surrounded by three force areas...They all welcome any type of camera footage.

To satisfy my idle curiosity, which police forces are they? To counter my scepticism, have you experience of footage being welcomed and used effectively?

As an aside, I see that the National Dash Cam Safety Portal appears to have reduced its list of participating police forces.
https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/national ... ty-portal/
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

gbnz wrote:(Nb. Back to the perennial question; why do cyclists struggle with spelling? Do they ride, rather than drive, due to issues with the written language?)
In my case, it's generally bad typing rather than bad spelling (compounded with a lack of proof reading).
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

thirdcrank wrote:
cyclemad wrote: ... I live in the triangle surrounded by three force areas...They all welcome any type of camera footage.

To satisfy my idle curiosity, which police forces are they? To counter my scepticism, have you experience of footage being welcomed and used effectively?

As an aside, I see that the National Dash Cam Safety Portal appears to have reduced its list of participating police forces.
https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/national ... ty-portal/

I have check the Next Base website and unfortunately it doesn't seem to have been updated recently....
North Yorkshire ACTIVELY encourage drivers/riders to submit cctv/dashcam footage to Operation Spartan

https://northyorkshire.police.uk/news/o ... an-skeeby/

West Yorkshire deal with dash cam footage via a dedicated team who will contact you once you have reported the incident in the normal manner via 101 / 999.

Lancashire will also act on cctv/dashcam....

All Police force will follow up dashcam footage...Just like CCTV ....It is evidence that supports a complaint..
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I understand the concept of evidence. Going by what others have posted, I fear this is an accurate conclusion:-

pete75 wrote: ... They'll use it when it suits them disregard it when it doesn't.

I've posted before that North Yorkshire seem to prioritise traffic enforcement more than some other forces.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

Ever since I was involved in a road rage incident a few years back ( I was the cyclist and a buffoon in a hot hatch thought it was funny to run me into a hedge ) I never leave home , either in car or on cycle / motorcycle without a camera fitted..All our family now have them and its a little bit of reassurance that if anything did happen it would hopefully be captured in Full HD Quality.. :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There was an item on the One Show about this tonight (5 Feb.)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0c1vvwp
LittleGreyCat

....how often helmet camera footage is used?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I see quite a few people riding with helmet cameras.

Also many not.

I've had a few near misses but nothing so far where I have felt the lack of a camera.
Then again I cycle in a semi-rural area where the traffic is generally polite and not that heavy.
London and other big cities may be very different.

Second use is clips of "I saw this fantastic.....on my ride today!"".

How many people use cameras, and how many have used the footage for good reason?
philvantwo

Re: ....how often helmet camera footage is used?

Post by philvantwo »

Cycling 'back you go' Mikey on youtube?
TrevA

Re: ....how often helmet camera footage is used?

Post by TrevA »

I have front and rear cameras but have never felt the need to do anything with the footage, other than to check that the camera is still recording occasionally. But it’s there if I need it. There are a couple of occasions when I did need it, but I didn’t have my front camera on, so didn’t record the incident. Now I always have both.

I first got a camera after an incident on an Audax. I was riding behind 2 riders who were 2 abreast, a car pulling a trailer overtook and pulled in too early, knocking the outside rider off. We didn’t get the reg and the driver was never traced. The rider fractured his skull.

I mainly ride on rural roads, as I no longer commute.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com