Fitting bar bag at side of ICE Sprint seat

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
PAB855

Fitting bar bag at side of ICE Sprint seat

Post by PAB855 »

I have an Altura Dryline bar bag fitted to my hybrid handlebars. My daughter requires a side bag for her ICE Sprint. Sorry I can't be sure of the seat specification, but it is a lightweight metal backed version with a bottle cage under each side.Could the Altura bag fit with a version of the Rixen Kaul quick release mounting system or if not with something else!? Would a side bag normally be mounted on the seat or the frame? ICE designed bags would be the answer, but why not try using something already available?

Cheers
[XAP]Bob

Re: Fitting bar bag at side of ICE Sprint seat

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Use the ice side bag mount...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Hello Bob. Do you mean that will enable the Altura bag to be used

Cheers
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It puts a bar alongside the seat, then any bar bag can be fitted - or just a spare mount, so you swap it back and forth.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks Bob. That's perfectly clear.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

For completeness...

[youtube]JY-boaq69D4[/youtube]

https://www.icetrikes.co/products/acces ... -bag-mount
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Very helpful, thanks Bob. Looking at these pictures I am wondering if the attachment can be fitted to a hardshell. That's the seat design name I couldn't remember in my first posting. Sorry about that. I hope I haven't led you up the garden path.

My daughter has been given information from elsewhere about 'banana racers' - another new term for me in bent riders' vocabulary. Maybe that's the way to go. They carry more I think, but don't look so easily attached or removed. What happens to the bottle cages? Complicated or what?

Cheers
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ah, these are mesh seat accessories (didn’t think the hard shell was metal backed).
Have to phone/email ICE.
hercule

Post by hercule »

PAB855 wrote:Very helpful, thanks Bob. Looking at these pictures I am wondering if the attachment can be fitted to a hardshell. That's the seat design name I couldn't remember in my first posting. Sorry about that. I hope I haven't led you up the garden path.

My daughter has been given information from elsewhere about 'banana racers' - another new term for me in bent riders' vocabulary. Maybe that's the way to go. They carry more I think, but don't look so easily attached or removed. What happens to the bottle cages? Complicated or what?

Cheers

Radical Design Banana Racers are excellent bags, though pricey... but will be even more so if we have to pay import duty on them shortly! They’re dead easy to fit, just fling over the seat. If used on a hard shell seat you may need ICE’s spacer to stop them getting mixed up with the chain, though I found with light loads at least they’re fine. Mine don’t interfere with the bottle cages mounted on the seat wings, but they now come with mesh sleeves that can take a bottle anyway.

You probably need a headrest to wrap the top strap round to keep them in place

IMHO they’re a better option than a bar bag (YMMV) as they weigh next to nothing, leave no mounting hardware behind, and sit behind the seat relatively protected from wheel spray.

https://www.radicaldesign.com/banana-racer

https://www.icetrikes.co/products/acces ... shell-seat

https://goo.gl/images/43PdnV

(Last pic not me or my trike but gives an idea of how they sit)
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Yes, it is. I'm sorry I wasted your time Bob, but it's all useful stuff for future reference. She's preparing for a London to Amsterdam supported ride with the MS Society in June.

Many thanks.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Ah Hercule, thanks. It could be Santa at his summer residence.

These are very helpful links.

Cheers
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have sidepods - they are brilliant
hercule

Post by hercule »

Another link that might be useful...

http://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=11153

The article also raises another point, about the seat edge abrading the bag straps. I added some edge trim to the top half of my seat to avoid that possibility (a couple of pounds from a car accessory store or an online auction site of your choice...)
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

All good stuff, thanks
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

The two largest Radical sidepods needs a rack to support two straps, only the front strap is on the seat.
With the smaller sizes the straps are only supported by the seat.

It's possible to make cheap side bags out of a couple of triangular boot/buggy bags and a couple of wide web straps.
But how much modding you need to do to make them work is unknown.

Luck ......... :D