Touring saddle

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

Re: Touring saddle

Post by robing »

robing wrote:
landsurfer wrote:I have Selle Bassano saddles on all my bikes, the LEJOG i took part in last summer was ridden on one ... £19.99 from Decathlon .... all have seen 5k+ in milage and are comfortable from day one .....
But as all posters have said .. it's a very personal thing ... I am 6' 3" .. 100kg, and have narrow sit bones and a small ass .... Cannot cope with Brookes B17's or the SPA version ... nothing to do with the saddle, just my physiology.

I have a Decathlon near me but can't see that one. Several Selle Italia models listed at various prices starting from £25.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-755631-bi ... 255_387252

I just bought the selle Italia flx gel flow from Decathlon, which according to dawes, was the original saddle on on my bike :D
They also had the selle Italia discovery, which is the same price but a bit slimmer. If I don't get on with the one I bought I'll exchange it for this one.
Thanks everyone for your advice.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Good to hear.

Please report back.

I'm a firm believer in the most comfortable sensible saddles often being the cheapest and have recommended in the past that someone try those Decathlon saddles.

Also worth considering I think for general purpose cycling, including touring, are some of the Selle Royal saddles from Halfords.

In my experience bike companies often do spec decent saddles with their bikes - not flash but good - my old upmarket Cannondale came with a wonderful Selle Royal saddle that I later discovered could be had for £15. Since discontinued of course.
Sweep
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

robing wrote:I've had my dawes sg for 7 years now and I think I need to replace the saddle as it's becoming uncomfortable. It was a padded gel type. On my road bikes I have standard Giant saddles which I find comfortable so may go with that. Or maybe Brooks? Any recommendations?

Believe it or not, a Cambium C13 is pretty comfy.

Once you get used to it, of course!
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
robing

Post by robing »

Update - I bought the selle Italia flx gel flow from Decathlon as I said - which was a direct replacement for the previous saddle. However, I realised this is a bit wide for my bum as I have quite a narrow bony ass and wasn't very comfortable. So I exchanged it for the Selle Italia Discovery gel flow - exactly the same price but narrower and lighter and it's bliss! I could tell straight away it was going to fit. I also raised the saddle a fraction and moved it forward and bingo I think - cross fingers - it's the one.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

When you find something that you like, buy three then when you need another you have one on the shelf.
Some makes/models become discontinued.

I like selle San Marco Rolls saddles and have one on each of:

Thorn Mercury
Thorn tandem
Surly LHT
Fixie and
shopping/pub bike which is an old steel machine claimed to be a mountain bike with no suspension forks. Must be from the mid nineteen eighties

Mike
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

I find Madison Flux saddles very comfy and now have 3 of them...they're also a very reasonable price £20 odd quid on line, not too heavy and are really well built....

https://road.cc/content/review/253162-m ... lux-saddle
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

To increase comfort get a suspension seat post.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
robing

Post by robing »

hoppy58 wrote:I find Madison Flux saddles very comfy and now have 3 of them...they're also a very reasonable price £20 odd quid on line, not too heavy and are really well built....

https://road.cc/content/review/253162-m ... lux-saddle

That looks pretty similar to the saddle I went for in the end. I definitely prefer the narrower road type saddle to the wider ones. I guess it depends on the shape and size of your ass!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/discover-ge ... 85852.html
Albion

Post by Albion »

I’m not really touring , but do a lot of 80-100k day tides, and seem to be on a journey to find comfort. I’m currently using an ISM (noseless) saddle, which I can sit on for hours. But I get numb hands, I’m starting to consider the fact that the ism whilst working for my bum, is probably putting more pressure on my hands. I’ve just bought a brooks but haven’t fitted yet.

Edited to add some noise!
Last edited by Albion on 7 Feb 2019, 10:42am, edited 3 times in total.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Albion wrote:I’m not really touring , but do a lot of 80-100k day tides, and seem to be on a journey to find comfort. I’m currently using an ISM (noiseless) saddle, which I can sit on for hours. But I get numb hands, I’m starting to consider the fact that the ism whilst working for my bum, is probably putting more pressure on my hands. I’ve just bought a brooks but haven’t fitted yet.

Schhh I can’t hear a thing. :D

Seriously though I’m failing to see the logic in what you’ve said. Can you explain?
AIUI you’ve a comfy saddle bum wise but some hand pain and to sort the hand pain you’re going to change your saddle!
Have you already explored saddle position and handlebar position? Is it because the ISM only works looking like a ski slope.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Albion

Post by Albion »

I’ve tried moving saddle back and forth, down it was too high, and have levelled it, my previous effort definitely was nose down. Reading a lot info on riding position and I can’t find a position with this saddle that lets me really go hands free. As I mentioned I can sit on it all day , so taking it off seems counter intuitive.

Handlebar is as high as I can get it now, with a short high angle stem. Seems no where else to go with this.