Jack Taylor (Ladies) - Where to sell?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ubertech_s

Jack Taylor (Ladies) - Where to sell?

Post by Ubertech_s »

Hi Ho All

I have my grandmas old Jack Taylor (complete bike). I think it is of 70s/80s vintage. It is in garage find condition.

Where do you think is a good place to sell it? - I want it to be loved, but I know that it needs some TLC.

I also really don't know it's worth in its current condition - Any suggestions would be appreciated, it really is a nice bike.

I know there is a way to date them based on the frame number, where do I find the relevant number?

Based in NE England

Thanks, Shaun
Attachments
crank side.jpg
phil parker

Re: Jack Taylor (Ladies) - Where to sell?

Post by phil parker »

What a lovely bike!

You're right - it is collectable - it would be unusual for a Jack Taylor bike not to fetch a reasonable price whether you go for a straight sale or auction.

If I were you, I would advertise here on Cycling UK Forum 'For Sale', for the value you think it should sensibly make, but it is only a small market compared to any of the national auction sites. Therefore, you could also put up for sale on an auction site with a sensible reserve.

Good Luck!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This page tells you where to find the serial number and is a record of what's known.

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/taylor/serials.html

Within that page there's a few examples of ladies bikes
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/taylor/seria ... adies.html
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

box lining and a few of the components suggest a 1960s bike to me. She's a beauty though!

If I had a bike like that in the family I would probably never sell it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ubertech_s

Post by Ubertech_s »

Thanks for the replies so far. I love this bike, but it is too small for me and my wife doesnt ride. I remember how happy my Grandma was riding it round Scotland, and I need someone else to be that happy. Maybe there will be a trade for a man's classic...

Here's a couple more photos just for the joy :)
Attachments
20190203_161925.jpg
20190203_162020.jpg
20190203_162046.jpg
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

That is indeed a lovely bike!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Indeed, nice lugless bronze brazed construction, with a matched carrier. Very nice. Maybe retrobike could generate a sale?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it may be worth making contact with the classic lightweights site; they may well know of a rabid jack taylor collector. If it is a one-owner from new bike with provenance that makes a difference too.

cheers
slowster

Post by slowster »

That looks lovely. I particularly like how the thin 'mid-stays' curve in towards the sides of the seat tube.

I would not be surprised if that frame rides better than any of the very limited number of currently available off-the-shelf step-through or mixte frames. That frame deserves to be ridden and loved by someone who will appreciate and enjoy it. For someone of the right height who wants or needs a step-through/mixte frame, e.g. not just women who want to wear a skirt but also those with a physical condition which impedes getting the leg over a normal top tube, that frame may be just what they have been looking for. In other words the potential number of buyers might be very small, but it's likely to be a hard to find gem for the small number who actually need a frame like that.

Whilst it might be possible to clean up and restore the existing components (or buy period correct replacements at bike jumbles or on ebay etc.), if it were me where possible I would replace the brakes, wheels and drivechain with better, relatively more modern components which were neverthless still in keeping with the frame and colour scheme, i.e. silver polished or silver anodised.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this is about the same layout

http://classiclightweights.co.uk/bikes/svt-cb-rb.html

and might be very similar to ride.

cheers
pwa

Post by pwa »

That is a very lovely thing, and if it were mine to dispose of I would be more focused on finding a good home for it than maximising profit. And it will need a lot of TLC, so it is unlikely to have a huge financial value. But it is special and needs a new owner who recognises that.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

pwa wrote:That is a very lovely thing, and if it were mine to dispose of I would be more focused on finding a good home for it than maximising profit. And it will need a lot of TLC, so it is unlikely to have a huge financial value. But it is special and needs a new owner who recognises that.

Agreed. And while I know you want someone to ride it, but what about a museum that might appreciate and care for such a beauty......
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

thirdcrank wrote:This page tells you where to find the serial number and is a record of what's known.

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/taylor/serials.html

Thanks for that link. I must look up the Jack Taylor tandem sitting in my mum's garage...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
peetee

Post by peetee »

The Taylor brothers were craftsmen and produced cycles predominantly for individual riders on a custom basis and were dedicated to producing the right bike for the client. That frame has a construction style that is considerably stronger than the average mixte frame which used twin thin tubes from front to back. The box lining was a trademark of theirs and was requested by many owners to the very end of their building career. There is a strong following for Jack Taylor bikes particularly in the US and if you are determined to get the best price that might be the best option for you. Much as I would like to see it stay here, it can be hard work persuading Brits of the merits of Brit bikes.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Just to get the pulse racing...

Hilary Stone.com has a similar Jack Taylor ladies bike priced at £ 875.