Suitable towbar bike carrier for electric bike?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Antbrewer

Suitable towbar bike carrier for electric bike?

Post by Antbrewer »

To enable my wife and I to go further afield with our bikes she is investing in an Ebike. Actually picking it up tomorrow..
Whereas before when taking our bikes by car I have either put them inside with difficulty it must said ( Honda Jazz) or put them on a bike rack which attaches to the tailgate and has the bikes quite high up. This has always been a pain and I don't believe I have ever done the operation the same way twice. Then there is always the worry of two bikes dropping on the motorway. Great fun!!!!
So I am now investing in a tow bar ( to be fitted next week) and will need to purchase a 'two bike' carrier to hitch it on. Like so many things in life when one starts to look into a subject one finds lots and lots of choice. Thule, Witter, Westfalia and many more.

I know that some ebikes would require a specific carrier due to weight and possibly thicker tyres and who knows what else? However my wife's new bike isn't that heavy (22Kg) and is the same design as her current Raleigh bike.
My question is ....Any advice on tow bar carriers suitable for her new Ebike and my Ridgeback Voyager touring bike.
Any thoughts and comments would be most welcome as I know that some of you will have experience on this topic.

Anthony
PS We went for a test run on this miserable afternoon for 30 mins and tried two short but reasonable hills. '' Left standing'' was a thought that crossed my mind as she sailed up the inclines and I didn't!!!! ( too soon after Christmas and too few practice runs also is my feeble excuse)
thirdcrank

Re: Suitable towbar bike carrier for electric bike?

Post by thirdcrank »

I've no specific experience to answer your question, but I swear by Thule for bike carriers more generally and I've invariably had excellent service from this company
https://www.roofracks.co.uk/thule-velospace-xt-938/
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

They are a company I've frequently seen recommended, too.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I have a Thule three bike towball mounted rack,great kit.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Have a look at the bike as well.

Removing battery makes it much lighter and easier to handle
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Having had both roof mounted and strap on the back type bike carriers on various cars, I invested in Thule towbar jobbie a couple of years ago. I wish I'd done it years ago.

Yes they are a little heavy to lift into position, but they lock on to the towbar easily, they're well built and so easy to use. They also seem to stand up to the weather really well with mine now over two years old and has spent much of it's life outside, it works as good as the day I bought it. One other recommendation, go for the type that has the foot release tilt. On a hatchback or estate it make access to the boot so much easier when the bikes are in situ.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Thanks for your thoughts on the towbar carriers.

I am coming down to the Thule two bike carrier. I am having the tow bar fitted next week and then I will look to purchase the one in mind.

Any more thoughts would be most welcome in the interim
Thanks
Anthony
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've just remembered this website from when I was researching tow ball mounted carriers a while ago, although in the end, I never bought one.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/bike-cycle-carriers.html

They show videos of a lot of the products they sell. You may find it useful, or not.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Another vote for Thule but even if you just have 2 bikes I'd buy a 3-biker - they are all quite tight for loading, and more so with heavy e-bikes. I use a 3 but almost always with just 2 bikes, with the third as the gap between them.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I bought an Atera Strada 3 bike carrier from roofbox.co.uk and I would recommend it, the only downside being its weight. I see that Atera are also now offering carriers specifically for e-bikes.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

Just a thought but I had a Honda Jazz..2011 model if I remember correctly and I always managed to get two full sized bikes in the back, front wheels off, with ease!
Obviously, rear seats were down but with the bikes clamped into a standing position, rear wheel to the tailgate, there was still lots of space in between them for front wheels, luggage etc.
Regret selling the car as nothing else that small does the job as effectively.
Felt so much more secure than bikes on the roof....
Had a Pendle 4 bike carrier behind a Volvo years back. Solid enough but fully loaded made the steering a bit light!
Don’t know if this might happen with ebike load hanging off the back of the Jazz?
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

Yet another vote for the Thule 3 bike carrier. We’ve had ours for many years and it’s carried my other half’s VSF Bosch ebike back and forth from Switzerland to the UK many times, together with my heavyweight tourer (and, on a couple of occasions, our son’s MTB). Just keep the total weight to the limit in the specifications. We tend to put the battery in the boot as it’s easier to lift sans battery.
Coopes

Post by Coopes »

Hi, I have one of these, M-Way Nighthawk 2-Bike Carrier. I was very worried when I first bought it as it is just held up by the tow ball.

I was always checking my mirror to make sure the bike a carrier were still there, the other weekend myself and a mate went out put both bickes on the carrier, no problem we went down an old country track with lots of pot holes, the bikes or the carrier never moved, it did bounce about but both bikes were sound. I dont worry anymore just hitch up and away you go. https://www.screwfix.com/p/m-way-nighth ... lsrc=aw.ds. worth a look would recomend.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

More thoughts and suggestions....Thank you.
I have tried to fit both my touring Ridgeback and my wife's new Ebike minus the front wheels into the Jazz but with great difficulty and failing.
So a towbar rack it will be especially as the towbar was fitted on Friday last week. Seeing the link to Screwfix was a surprise as they are about a mile from my home. However their rack is much heavier than the Thule which at the moment is my preference.
However the Camping and Caravan show is on at the NEC in a couple of weeks so I will be nipping along there to see if any exhibitors have any special offers. Last year Witter and a couple of others were there so it is worth having a look.
Again thank you for your inputs.
Anthony
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Also consider Pendle, who do have an E bike rack, I notice.

https://pendle-bike.co.uk/collections/w ... port-racks