Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you press the button to stop speeding crime?

Poll ended at 7 Mar 2019, 6:15pm

Yes, if I have time several times
5%
Yes, anything reducing speed, +1!
3%
Sometimes
3%
Only if I want to cross
42%
Not occurred to me, shall in future
3%
No, that is interfering
No votes
No, that is childish
34%
No, afraid to annoy drivers
No votes
No, surely that is illegal/illogical
8%
I fight speeding in other ways: e.g.:
3%

Total votes: 38

Cyril Haearn

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Wrong again, refusing speeds and holding up the Knights of the Road reduces danger overall as explained several times, one should try it to form an opinion before criticising

My opinion has been formed over a long period of driving,cycling,and being a pedestrian.At no point in my life have I ever had reason to press the button on a crossing unless I intended to cross.

My opinions have been formed in like manner, as a cyclist first
I shall not be complaining about your strong language, not sure if it is the sort of thing that should appear here mind, but I find it entertaining, Plus One!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

Surely the answer to preventing motoring crime is "campaign for more traffic police and motoring crime reduction schemes."

Similarly, surely the answer to preventing robbery crime is campaigning for more policing on the streets plus effectiveness schemes to reduce the attractiveness of robbery.

In neither case (motor crime or robbery) I would suggest is vigilantism the answer albeit the desire is a natural human gut response- that someone might feel like "sending the boys around" if a loved one got injured in a robbery (or motor crime). But vigilantism cannot be the answer, not whilst we live in a civilised society/democracy. Cyril Haearn, maybe the answer for you is to seek election as a Police commissioner and make a real difference. The attitude of local police can be hugely effective as with Operation Close Pass. Whereas I suspect that in the long term, acts of petty vigilantism are unlikely to achieve much that is meaningful. Organised and focused protest can also work if done in the right way.

TPO
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

100%JR wrote:
Cugel wrote:Cyclists don't kill and maim thousands each year, silly. Cuh! Keep up. Have you never been terrorised by a motorist whilst on your bike? If not, you are unique among the cycling tribes.
Cugel

I have never been "terrorised" by anyone in over 45 years of cycling.Then again I live in the real world :wink:
"Terrorised" :roll:

Often been terrorised when driving on the motorway on long roadworks sections with say 50 mph maximum limit, should be quite relaxing, keep well behind the vehicle in front, but the truck terrorist behind comes right close and flashes her lights although there is no possibility to go faster or let her by
Only thing to do is slow down to match the speed to the gap
Terrorism is the word for this. I try to avoid having a truck next in the queue behind me but it is not always possible
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I think this thread is chasing its own tail round and round the M25.....
....which might be the point.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

661-Pete wrote:I think this thread is chasing its own tail round and round the M25.....

The thought had occurred, as often.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Cugel wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:My opinions have been formed in like manner, as a cyclist first
I shall not be complaining about your strong language, not sure if it is the sort of thing that should appear here mind, but I find it entertaining, Plus One!

As my sark early in the thread, replying to another of your button-pressing posts indicates, I think the button-pressing is a rather empty and perhaps foolish gesture that'll make no difference to anything. One way or another. I imagine most drivers don't even notice.

I do find the over-reaction of various other posters in this thread, accusing you of being some sort of criminal, a somewhat alarming attitude to a very minor act of rebellion against the regime of carmaggedon. Nor would it surprise me if many of those defending the supposedly fuming drivers delayed by a few seconds were themselves much more serious breakers of the law in their cars, on a regular basis. I often hear the most otherwise sensible people complaining about getting penalised for speeding; or observe them tailgating, failing to pay attention or becoming impatient if held up by someone in front going slower than the limit, even if the risks of going at the limit are obvious.

Many drivers are selfish, oblivious of the dangers and otherwise careless at a low level. A significant proportion are recklessly careless. A significant subset of them are habitually dangerous. They all seek to justify their actions based on some sort of "Everyone does it" or "I know best" nonsense.

So, I wouldn't regard your button-pressing as something suitable for application of the law or even a mild tut. On the other hand, I feel those keen to promote the interests of the car, including those driven about by impatient Toads careless of anyone else's safety, are deserving of quite a large tut, as well as the odd cutting glance of disdain. So there. :-)

Cugel

My reaction (note the deliberate omission of the 'over' prefix) is based on the simple belief that a cyclist deliberately antagonising motorists and inciting others to do so, does nothing for our cause and can in fact be seriously counterproductive. Wherever possible, I find it far more effective to extend courtesy to other road users, regardless of whether I am in the saddle, behind the wheel or afoot. I like to think that I am thereby doing something far more positive to promote road safety than Cyril Haearn.
mjr

Post by mjr »

That "courtesy" argument is not great because where does it stop? I have been accused of "deliberately antagonising motorists" by riding in primary/control position on approach to a blind brow.

One could say we already show ample courtesy by not spewing pollution all over motorists. What do they do in return? Merely refrain from killing us more quickly?

But I still won't push buttons because it delays other walkers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote:That "courtesy" argument is not great because where does it stop? I have been accused of "deliberately antagonising motorists" by riding in primary/control position on approach to a blind brow.

One could say we already show ample courtesy by not spewing pollution all over motorists. What do they do in return? Merely refrain from killing us more quickly?

But I still won't push buttons because it delays other walkers.

Usually helps PoFs where I do it :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

An expert might say that the language* used by my critics says more about them than it does about me

* not the sort of thing one would use face-to-face, right? :?
pwa

Post by pwa »

A few miles down the road from me is the entrance to a limestone quarry. It doesn't generate a lot of traffic but to be on the safe side the Highways people gave it a set of traffic lights to allow lorries to leave safely. But the lights on the main road go on red every time traffic approaches, regardless of the speed. Even a bicycle will trigger it. When I cycle that way I momentarily go into the gutter to avoid triggering a red that I will have to stop at, before it goes back to green a few seconds later. And the result of this pointless red light is that locals now ignore it. They are so used to it going red for no reason that they drive through it. That is what apparently malfunctioning pointless red lights do. They generate frustration, contempt and non-compliance.
Last edited by pwa on 5 Feb 2019, 8:40am, edited 1 time in total.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:An expert might say that the language* used by my critics says more about them than it does about me

* not the sort of thing one would use face-to-face, right? :?

There's nothing I've put on here that I wouldn't say to you face to face and I suspect that goes for most other posters as well.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:I think this thread is chasing its own tail round and round the M25.....

Maybe they should put some pedestrian controlled crossing lights on it to slow down the chase.
Last edited by pete75 on 5 Feb 2019, 8:54am, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Thread has been pruned again. Please stop insulting each other.

This thread is taking too much moderator time. If folks can't argue nicely, it will be binned.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:A few miles down the road from me is the entrance to a limestone quarry. It doesn't generate a lot of traffic but to be on the safe side the Highways people gave it a set of traffic lights to allow lorries to leave safely. But the lights on the main road go on red every time traffic approaches, regardless of the speed. Even a bicycle will trigger it. When I cycle that way I momentarily go into the gutter to avoid triggering a red that I will have to stop at, before it goes back to green a few seconds later. And the result of this pointless red light is that locals now ignore it. They are so used to it going red for no reason that they drive through it. That is what apparently malfunctioning pointless red lights do. They generate frustration, contempt and non-compliance.

Because people take the law into their own hands and don't report the fault! So if almost everyone else does it, why do so many people flame Bryn?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:A few miles down the road from me is the entrance to a limestone quarry. It doesn't generate a lot of traffic but to be on the safe side the Highways people gave it a set of traffic lights to allow lorries to leave safely. But the lights on the main road go on red every time traffic approaches, regardless of the speed. Even a bicycle will trigger it. When I cycle that way I momentarily go into the gutter to avoid triggering a red that I will have to stop at, before it goes back to green a few seconds later. And the result of this pointless red light is that locals now ignore it. They are so used to it going red for no reason that they drive through it. That is what apparently malfunctioning pointless red lights do. They generate frustration, contempt and non-compliance.

Because people take the law into their own hands and don't report the fault! So if almost everyone else does it, why do so many people flame Bryn?

Which you've been doing as well with several post here attacking his idea.