Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you press the button to stop speeding crime?

Poll ended at 7 Mar 2019, 6:15pm

Yes, if I have time several times
5%
Yes, anything reducing speed, +1!
3%
Sometimes
3%
Only if I want to cross
42%
Not occurred to me, shall in future
3%
No, that is interfering
No votes
No, that is childish
34%
No, afraid to annoy drivers
No votes
No, surely that is illegal/illogical
8%
I fight speeding in other ways: e.g.:
3%

Total votes: 38

mjr

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
mjr wrote:But I still won't push buttons because it delays other walkers.

Usually helps PoFs where I do it :wink:

Again: how?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:An expert might say that the language* used by my critics says more about them than it does about me

* not the sort of thing one would use face-to-face, right? :?

If I saw an adult indulging in the behaviour you advocate, I suspect that many, indeed most of us would use some robust language.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:A few miles down the road from me is the entrance to a limestone quarry. It doesn't generate a lot of traffic but to be on the safe side the Highways people gave it a set of traffic lights to allow lorries to leave safely. But the lights on the main road go on red every time traffic approaches, regardless of the speed. Even a bicycle will trigger it. When I cycle that way I momentarily go into the gutter to avoid triggering a red that I will have to stop at, before it goes back to green a few seconds later. And the result of this pointless red light is that locals now ignore it. They are so used to it going red for no reason that they drive through it. That is what apparently malfunctioning pointless red lights do. They generate frustration, contempt and non-compliance.

Because people take the law into their own hands and don't report the fault! So if almost everyone else does it, why do so many people flame Bryn?

I detest that light (though I comply and burn a bit more diesel in the process) and I do not condone others driving through on red. But the lights there have been doing that for about two years, the council has been told but without effect, so I feel the frustration and annoyance that the non-compliant drivers feel and I understand where their non-compliance comes from. Bryn's childish prank could train drivers to ignore red lights.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:An expert might say that the language* used by my critics says more about them than it does about me

An expert might also say that some one who presses buttons on pedestrian crossings in a claimed attempt to slow down or make safe motor traffic,then posts about it on forums,has a problem and that s/he does it in an attempt to press other buttons.

I shall post no more on this thread as don't wish to pander to the trolling of one individual.

PS, yes I would tell you to your face all that I've posted on this thread,particularly the bit of my posts the mods have pruned.
Last edited by reohn2 on 5 Feb 2019, 9:09am, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:Because people take the law into their own hands and don't report the fault! So if almost everyone else does it, why do so many people flame Bryn?

Which you've been doing as well with several post here attacking his idea.

Because I think it's self-defeating, not because I think people should blindly follow rules.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:

An expert might also say that some one who presses buttons on pedestrian crossings in a claimed attempt to tame traffic,then posts about it on forums has a problem and that s/he does it in an attempt to press other buttons.
I shall post no more on this thread as don't wish to pander to the trolling of one individual.

I am sure you are right.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:Because people take the law into their own hands and don't report the fault! So if almost everyone else does it, why do so many people flame Bryn?

Because I think it's self-defeating, not because I think people should blindly follow rules.

I don't think there are any rules about what he's doing - as far as I'm aware it's not illegal. Most people just think it's a stupid idea.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I don't think there are any rules about what he's doing - as far as I'm aware it's not illegal. Most people just think it's a stupid idea.

Arguably it's highway obstruction as we've discussed inthe past, but there's no known prosecution for it. The highway code rule instructing you to push the button doesn't say to do it only when wanting to cross! http://highwaycode.info/rule/22
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

arguably it's highway obstruction as we've discussed inthe past, but there's no known prosecution for it. The highway code rule instructing you to push the button doesn't say to do it only when wanting to cross! http://highwaycode.info/rule/22

Since most children will have done this prosecutions are unlikely. Even Mrs May, in her cornfield moment, might have been guilty.

But for most people it stops there, at childhood. But I, too, have my childish moments.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote:
arguably it's highway obstruction as we've discussed inthe past, but there's no known prosecution for it. The highway code rule instructing you to push the button doesn't say to do it only when wanting to cross! http://highwaycode.info/rule/22

Since most children will have done this prosecutions are unlikely. Even Mrs May, in her cornfield moment, might have been guilty.

But for most people it stops there, at childhood. But I, too, have my childish moments.

Under 10s can't be prosecuted, of course.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

reohn2 wrote:

An expert might also say that some one who presses buttons on pedestrian crossings in a claimed attempt to slow down or make safe motor traffic,then posts about it on forums,has a problem and that s/he does it in an attempt to press other buttons.

PS, yes I would tell you to your face all that I've posted on this thread,particularly the bit of my posts the mods have pruned.

Same here. Several of my posts have been deleted, notwithstanding the fact that they contained nothing offensive. So, in the words of the Duncan Bannatyne "I'm oot" too!

Let the poll results speak for themselves.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vorpal wrote:Thread has been pruned again. Please stop insulting each other.

This thread is taking too much moderator time. If folks can't argue nicely, it will be binned.
For this thread to take up more Mod time than you-know-which thread? We must be in trouble! :wink:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pwa wrote:A few miles down the road from me is the entrance to a limestone quarry. It doesn't generate a lot of traffic but to be on the safe side the Highways people gave it a set of traffic lights to allow lorries to leave safely. But the lights on the main road go on red every time traffic approaches, regardless of the speed. Even a bicycle will trigger it. When I cycle that way I momentarily go into the gutter to avoid triggering a red that I will have to stop at, before it goes back to green a few seconds later. And the result of this pointless red light is that locals now ignore it. They are so used to it going red for no reason that they drive through it. That is what apparently malfunctioning pointless red lights do. They generate frustration, contempt and non-compliance.
I'm puzzled by this, and I suppose, as you say, it must be a malfunction - unless the lights are linked to a speed camera and turn red only if a vehicle approaches at above the speed limit?

I mention this because this is exactly what happens in a village close to our place in France. Traffic lights were installed at the cross-roads recently, needlessly because the junction functioned perfectly well with Give Way signs prior to that (n.b. the crossing was never a "priorité à droite" type). Advance signs were put up making it clear that the lights, normally at red, would change to green promptly if you approach within the 50Km/h speed limit. Otherwise, you'd be waiting a lot longer.

I have indeed observed that the lights function as stated when I drive towards them, although the change to green happens when I'm so close to the junction, that I have to slow almost to a stop anyway. I've not yet figured out what happens when I cycle towards those lights - not done so often enough.

But regarding your quarry lights - this is merely a guess.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pwa

Post by pwa »

661-Pete wrote:
I'm puzzled by this, and I suppose, as you say, it must be a malfunction - unless the lights are linked to a speed camera and turn red only if a vehicle approaches at above the speed limit?

I mention this because this is exactly what happens in a village close to our place in France. Traffic lights were installed at the cross-roads recently, needlessly because the junction functioned perfectly well with Give Way signs prior to that (n.b. the crossing was never a "priorité à droite" type). Advance signs were put up making it clear that the lights, normally at red, would change to green promptly if you approach within the 50Km/h speed limit. Otherwise, you'd be waiting a lot longer.

I have indeed observed that the lights function as stated when I drive towards them, although the change to green happens when I'm so close to the junction, that I have to slow almost to a stop anyway. I've not yet figured out what happens when I cycle towards those lights - not done so often enough.

But regarding your quarry lights - this is merely a guess.

I have experimented with speed of approach and it makes no difference. When you go over the sensor in the road the light goes to red even if you are on a steel touring bike and approaching uphill at 6mph. If it only changed to red for those going over the limit that would make perfect sense.
paddler

Post by paddler »

With that in mind, will you stand up for your actions at the crossing after you have pressed the button by staying there for all to see?