Eight O'clock Pips

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: Eight O'clock Pips

Post by al_yrpal »

TC, no, and I havent had the sleeve problem, perhaps I have a different model? Theres a certain satisfaction in knowing your watch is better at its primary purpose than any 'designer' timepiece, but...have I got the primary purpose of 'designer' timepieces wrong?
Micks post above surprises me, perhaps he's lived in Cornwall so long he's contracted drektly disease?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

When I retired - 1997 - after thirty years of being governed by clocks and watches, I took a much more relaxed attitude to timekeeping in general and wristwatches and alarm clocks in particular. I had to sharpen up my ideas when my eldest grandchild started school. I wanted a watch which would keep sufficiently accurate time and need no attention from me. The nearest thing I could find was the Seiko which has the bonus of day/date. It has served me well but I sometimes find that the day/date has been replaced by a 24 digital time reading which I don't want. Easy enough to recover the day/date if you know the correct sequence of button presses and I suspect my youngest grandchild could fix it with her eyes shut, but I cannot. The instruction book has tiny print and runs to many pages, including explanations in many foreign languages of how to set the time for many foreign capital cities. I downloaded the instruction from the internet and then printed to one page I needed A4 rather than postage stamp. Problem solved but the requirement "need no attention from me" has not been met.

I was going to post a link to mine on Amazon but I'm not sure if the link is free of ways into my account.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Well the 12 o'clock pips on radio 4 were bang on with my Garmin watch today. I can't understand how Mick F's can be a minute behind. Somethings not right.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

philvantwo wrote:Well the 12 o'clock pips on radio 4 were bang on with my Garmin watch today. I can't understand how Mick F's can be a minute behind. Somethings not right.

Sympathetic digital hangover? :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote:Well the 12 o'clock pips on radio 4 were bang on with my Garmin watch today. I can't understand how Mick F's can be a minute behind. Somethings not right.
Online Radio 4?
DAB Radio 4?

.............or just plain old analogue FM/LW/MW Radio 4?
Mick F. Cornwall
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I get pips at 2 o'clock, 4 o'clock, 8 o'clock and 10 o'clock.
I've vowed to give up eating raspberries. :(
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

Mick F wrote:If I was listening to (say) The Archers in the workshop on DAB, then came into the house and it was online on the iMac, it would be about a minute behind. Not timed it specifically, but about a minute, maybe a bit less.

Yes, the online player uses the MPEG-DASH format which could cause that much of a delay. It looks like each segment is 5-10 seconds, plus encoding time, plus network latency, plus buffering. That would get you close to a minute.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks!

What I might do one morning, is to watch the time on the iPad - accurate(?) with the WiFi internet, and also the time on my Garmin Montana. ( Maybe I could do that any time to check them out.)
At the same time have the DAB radio on and online radio on too and listen for their pips.

By using a stop watch, I could time the pips with respect to GPS Real Time vs DAB radio vs online radio.

Probably won't do this as it's a bit nerdy! :lol:

............. even though it's interesting.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I was listening on a DAB radio. How are you going to watch and listen to 2 screens and 2 radios all at the same time Mick F?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

........... because I'm clever and ambidextrous as well as having eyes in the back of my head. Multi-talented as well perhaps, but I try to be all those things.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Six o'clock pips Radio 4 online just now.

Garmin Montana agreed with my MacBook time connected to Wifi and internet.
At exactly 6am I started my stopwatch and stopped it at the long beep at the end of the time signal.

1min 28secs late.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I have a colleague who argues this delay invalidates the TV License.

They argus that the licence is required to watch a broadcast at the time it is broadcast, but not for programmes that are watched later.

To watch or record programmes on a TV, computer or other device as they’re broadcast

As there is a delay between broadcast and receipt of the signal, ALL programmes are watched after broadcast and a licence is not necessary!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

6am this morning.
DAB Radio 4 vs Garmin Montana.
DAB was a whole three seconds late! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

How much time have you 'lost' so far this year Mick F?
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F, the pips are controlled by an atomic clock in the basement of broadcasting house and are accurate to 1 second in 300 million years!
:|