A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Oldjohnw

Re: A positive thread

Post by Oldjohnw »

Last night i sang Mendlssohn's great oratorio 'Elijah' with my choral society with professional soloists and orchestra. What a glorious experience.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Took my hearing protection to go shopping in the food store where muzak is played, I hoped to stand it long enough to buy all the things on my list
The cheap foot store without music is a bit further away but I decided to walk there instead, no muzak, Plus One! Saved cash, Plus Two! Vegs are only sold in big packs there, got to have a leek for tea today too, Plus Three!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

al_yrpal wrote:We seem to be very lucky around here, 99% of drivers are very careful and courteous to me. A smile and a friendly wave seem to do wonders. I think its in towns, particularly in commuting situations, where everyone is rushing about negative things seem to happen.

London drivers are entitled, self-centred, psychopathic bullies, the majority of whom should be detained under the Mental Health Act 1983, for the good of the public. But the rare find - and it does happen - is one who like the original post in this thread, will stop and flash you to let you turn right. Or who will hang back a good distance behind you as you're approaching bollards, letting you pass the latter in safety and at the same time preventing anyone else from overtaking you.

I always make a point of thanking these drivers. When he or she is inside a commercial vehicle - almost unheard of - I make a point of contacting the company and asking that the driver be congratulated on his patience, courtesy and road sense.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Cyril Haearn wrote: Saved cash, Plus Two! Vegs are only sold in big packs there, got to have a leek for tea today too, Plus Three!

LEEKS! positive to the power of ten
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Patrickpioneer wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote: Saved cash, Plus Two! Vegs are only sold in big packs there, got to have a leek for tea today too, Plus Three!

LEEKS! positive to the power of ten

The perfect vegetable, available all year
I am warming up for St Davids Day :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do love the gloaming, the half-light mornings and evenings, especially the moment one realises it is light grey outside and one may switch the light off. Like 'saving' energy too, switching off lights :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Longest ride of the year so far today, 55 km, determined to go for the Full Monty (100 km/day) this year
Saw a new telephone box, 'box means books' I thought, right again, a public book-swap station, yet another :wink:
gaz

Post by gaz »

Saw a nice n+1 on the local facebay today. Very practical bike, unsuitable for me but I'd still love to have it.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

In my cycle commuting calendar, today officially marks the first day of spring for 2019.

Why? I heard my first woodpecker of the year on the way in. Ten minutes later, heard my second.

Isn't nature wonderful!
robing

Post by robing »

Had a few days camping and cycling in Shropshire and Welsh borders. It was wonderful! Had the campsite to myself, with a tawny owl for company at night and songbirds were my alarm clock. Some great rides, hilly! There was even a hosepipe to clean the bike afterwards.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Glorious cycling weather yesterday, and the increasing length of the days are an encouragement to take longer rides. I went up past Anglezarke reservoir and took this picture on my favourite bit of road around these parts, trees growing out of rocks and casting shadows in the bright sunshine.

I stopped at The Village Green Tearoom at Rivington and had tea and freshly made mint chocolate
cheesecake, gorgeous.
https://www.rivingtonvillagegreentearoom.com/
P1110695.JPG
Nu-Fogey
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Looks like a great forecast for the next few days , looking forward to getting out on the bike :D
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

loch eck steve wrote:Looks like a great forecast for the next few days, looking forward to getting out on the bike. :D

Next week especially - rest of this week dry but a bit breezy (but can't complain - it's still only February) - next week freaky good!

Spring's coming early. :)

(Downside (there's always a downside) - global warming?)

But maybe we should just enjoy it while it lasts.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Box of bits arrived from Chain Reation today. With a bit of luck they'll cure the horrendous clunks, groans and assorted grating noises coming from my commuter's transmission. More likely I'm going to need to swap out the freehub.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I saw a snail making his&her way across the garden path last night - first fully awake one I've seen this year.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot