You don't need sports drinks to stay hydrated

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thelawnet

You don't need sports drinks to stay hydrated

Post by thelawnet »

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/yo ... -hydrated/

It's all a big scam

Deborah Cohen, an investigations editor at the BMJ who was involved in the project and wrote a summary of the findings, recalls a study in which volunteers who fasted overnight were divided into two groups, one whose members were given a sports drink containing water, salts and sugar and another whose members received water. “People who were given the sports drink fared better,” she says. “Well, no [inappropriate word removed].” If you haven’t had any food in 12 hours and then you get a bit of sugar, of course you’ll perform better than the people still running on empty. But to say that this means the sports drink is superior to whatever a normal person would consume leading up to or during exercise just isn’t generalizable, she says. “Who starves themselves overnight and then goes to perform some exercise?” And yet the BMJ investigation found that this type of study design is surprisingly common among tests of nutritional products.

Cohen says, that studies using plain water for the control group found that the sports drink had positive effects, while the ones that used taste-matched placebos didn’t.

When Heneghan’s and Cohen’s reports came out, some sports science experts blasted it as unnecessarily rigid, because they set their standards based on the conventions of clinical medicine rather than sports science, where, for instance, small sample sizes are common.

You can also forget those pee charts that look like paint swatches for urine, and ignore anyone who says that yellow pee is a sign that you need to drink more water.
Airsporter1st

Re: You don't need sports drinks to stay hydrated

Post by Airsporter1st »

Only my personal experience and not necessarily representative of the world at large, but I worked for many years in the M.E., regularly at ambient temperatures exceeding 35degC and up to as high as 56degC. The work involved a great deal of manual labour and walking fair distances in full sun.

Initially, I drank only plenty of water. Nevertheless I regularly suffered heat exhaustion, on some occasions bordering on heat stroke. As soon as I realised that water alone would not help and switched instead to isotonic (sports) drinks, specifically Isostar, I ceased to suffer.

For me therefore, there is no question that isotonic drinks are essential when exerting oneself in hot climates. Whether the same applies when engaged in sporting activities in more temperate climates, I'm not sure.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

30miles today.
Two cups of tea before I left, and I didn't take any water or drinks with me at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Doesn’t surprise me.
Like Mick I did 30 ml today and no bottle.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

[...] But to say that this means the sports drink is superior to whatever a normal person would consume leading up to or during exercise just isn’t generalizable, she says. “Who starves themselves overnight and then goes to perform some exercise?”

Me, every six months, on the way to a blood test.

Of course, I'm not allowed a sports drink then either!

Airsporter1st wrote:Initially, I drank only plenty of water. Nevertheless I regularly suffered heat exhaustion, on some occasions bordering on heat stroke. As soon as I realised that water alone would not help and switched instead to isotonic (sports) drinks, specifically Isostar, I ceased to suffer.

Riiiight - did you try eating some food with the water instead of going to the junk food drinks?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Airsporter1st wrote:Only my personal experience and not necessarily representative of the world at large, but I worked for many years in the M.E., regularly at ambient temperatures exceeding 35degC and up to as high as 56degC. The work involved a great deal of manual labour and walking fair distances in full sun.

Initially, I drank only plenty of water. Nevertheless I regularly suffered heat exhaustion, on some occasions bordering on heat stroke. As soon as I realised that water alone would not help and switched instead to isotonic (sports) drinks, specifically Isostar, I ceased to suffer.

For me therefore, there is no question that isotonic drinks are essential when exerting oneself in hot climates. Whether the same applies when engaged in sporting activities in more temperate climates, I'm not sure.

I have worked and done a lot of cycling in hot climates (30C, plus very high humidity).

My observation is the locals drink water when working and very sweet tea at breaks. There is also lots of white rice. Isotonic drinks are readily available but not I overwhelmingly popular.

Personally when I cycle in the same heat I find that I crave sweet fizzy drinks. After cycling and sweating a lot I will have one or two Sprites (about 350ml each) After a couple of those I find the sugar craving is satiated, and if still thirsty switch to plain water. In UK conditions I drink very much less - I don't need to drink during a three hour ride in the UK, whereas in Indonesia every hour typically, or a large amount after two hours
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

mjr wrote:
[...] But to say that this means the sports drink is superior to whatever a normal person would consume leading up to or during exercise just isn’t generalizable, she says. “Who starves themselves overnight and then goes to perform some exercise?”

Me, every six months, on the way to a blood test.

Of course, I'm not allowed a sports drink then either!

Airsporter1st wrote:Initially, I drank only plenty of water. Nevertheless I regularly suffered heat exhaustion, on some occasions bordering on heat stroke. As soon as I realised that water alone would not help and switched instead to isotonic (sports) drinks, specifically Isostar, I ceased to suffer.

Riiiight - did you try eating some food with the water instead of going to the junk food drinks?

I did eat regularly - lunch was practically mandatory, because I was out in the desert and could not stay alone, so we all returned to the camp. Breakfast before starting.

I would dispute that good quality isotonic drinks are junk food. A doctor prescribes electrolytes, which are the essentially the same thing, for dehydration. I've yet to come across a doctor who prescribes food and water under the same circumstances.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:30miles today.
Two cups of tea before I left, and I didn't take any water or drinks with me at all.

but how many pubs did you stop at? :wink:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Airsporter1st wrote:I would dispute that good quality isotonic drinks are junk food. A doctor prescribes electrolytes, which are the essentially the same thing, for dehydration. I've yet to come across a doctor who prescribes food and water under the same circumstances.

Isostar: sugars, salts, acids, flavouring, starch and even a little oil sounds like junk food to me.

A doctor will prescribe the quickest restorative and dehydration usually leads to being short of sugars and salts. I doubt many would recommend the starch and oil.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

mjr wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:I would dispute that good quality isotonic drinks are junk food. A doctor prescribes electrolytes, which are the essentially the same thing, for dehydration. I've yet to come across a doctor who prescribes food and water under the same circumstances.

Isostar: sugars, salts, acids, flavouring, starch and even a little oil sounds like junk food to me.

A doctor will prescribe the quickest restorative and dehydration usually leads to being short of sugars and salts. I doubt many would recommend the starch and oil.

You're right. I apologise.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

IMO, sports drinks have their place, but lots of people take a sports drink with for a 4 mile hike or 10 mile bike ride, and it isn't at all necessary.

The thing about sports drink is that they provide an appropriate mix of sugars, electrolytes, and other helpful stuff for sports. A sports drink is obviously not the only way to take in those things, and in most cases, not even the best way.

That said, I would pick a sports drink over the chemists' or prescription rehydration drinks any day.

The simple reason is that what the doctor prescribes tastes absolutely horrendous, even mixed in with something has a strong flavour of its own.

Sports drinks taste nice.

When my kids have needed a little extra, recovering from norovirus, or one of the other things like that that goes round schools every now and then, I've given them sports drinks. They flat refused to drink the stuff from the chemist when they were little, and I figured when they were dehydrated, it was better to get the electrolytes and minerals in them, even it came with sugar and other stuff that wasn't necessary.

For just electrolytes, I prefer the drops, added to water or fruit juice, but I haven't been able to find them near me.

I generally avoid sports drinks, but I do carry powdered sports drink mix to add to water in case I need the boost (i.e. feel the hunger knock, or impending bonk). I've used it once in the last 5 years or so.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:
Mick F wrote:30miles today.

but how many pubs did you stop at? :wink:
What are you trying to infer? :wink:

None, but I had a few beers after getting home!
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Airsporter1st wrote:

Except people have been working hard in hot climates for thousands of years before Isotonic drinks were invented so, obviously, they're not essential.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Plus One.

Why do people carry water bottles with them when they just go for a walk?
Mick F. Cornwall
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

pete75 wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:

Except people have been working hard in hot climates for thousands of years before Isotonic drinks were invented so, obviously, they're not essential.

No they are obviously not essential for all those people to whom you refer. Fortunately on this occasion, I did preface my statement with the words "For me".