** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bovlomov

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by bovlomov »

Hmmm. There seems to be a mood going around, delighting in the possibility that if we knock our own house down then the rest of the terrace is likely to suffer some cracks.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello Playmates, My mongrel grandfather was of Anglo Irish extraction, served with the Royal Fusiliers, after wounding Durham Light Infantry, after further wounding Army Labour Corps. When WW2 arrived he signed up for the Royal Artillery, but after a proper medical he was declined for active service, with a badge & thanks from George V. Why the military assigned him to the RF is a question, having enlisted in his home city Manchester.
With regards to the current E.U. posturing & arm wrestling I think I would take you back to a much earlier issue? DANEGELD !!!!!!!!! MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:no he is getting rattled. The UK has had a plan ie Mrs Mays but certain apsects ie the backstop are unacceptable. He is using a so called preferential defn of what is an acceptable safe ( ie for the EU ) way of leaving teh EU - he and the other 'crats had thought they had it all sewed up and taken Mrs May and the Uk to the cleaners. Now they have the real prospect of having to enforce an Irish border and break the GFA they have been pontificating about ( thinking they could make the UK bear the brunt of keeping faith) and an endless payment of billions of euros so that Eire can still sell into the UK market - more money that will be sucked out of the budget that Germany I suppose will have to come up with together with the loss of the UK contribution.Now there are Two main contributors to the budget to pay for it all. I cant see Germany being a happy dachshund

"They" are going to have to enforce a border?
No, "We" and "Ireland" are going to enforce a border. Along with enforcing a border at every port in the UK.

You keep prattling on the same old tosh.
WE want a border, not the EU - us.
But WE don't want a border between Ireland and N.I. Not the EU - us.

The GFA is OUR agreement, not the EU's. If it's broken WE will have broken it.

There are many ways of dealing with the border, trouble is they simply won't get through parliament or past Mays "red lines".
WE have decided not to implement anything WE don't like.

The UK is a joke. Our government is a joke. Brexit is a joke.
If Tusk is guilty of anything it's understating the issue.
If he called us the biggest idiots in the world the only reason he'd be wrong is because America played the Trump card.

kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Wake up sheeple!

The nasty EU are foisting brexit on us!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Good grief. Are there no depths of misinterpreting history to which the Leavers will not stoop? This is the 21st century and a European Union that is a Union because Thatcher and Major insisted that it be so. We're not fighting Nazis or the Hun any more, nor marching once more unto the breach against the French and definitely not paying tribute to ancient Vikings!

Elsewhere today, I've been patiently trying to explain to some "no deal" Kamikaze Brexit fans why we cannot wave through only EU trucks under WTO rules (which apparently the latest ERG MP has been saying to the press) - you know, WTO which say members have to treat all other WTO members equally, so if we have no trade deal with the EU (as we won't if May doesn't do one), then we have to treat their trucks like all others and all like theirs.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi mjr, You should bear in mind the simple fact that the UK population played no part in the treachery that Major & That Bloody Woman committed!!!
Only the electorate of Finchley actually voted for the "Milk Snatcher".
Major was so good with figures he couldn't even pass the test to become a Bus Conductor! Not a C.V. that I would aspire to.
Modernist thinking has lumbered me with a work tool that does what the hell it wants, rather than what I ask it to do - this HP Lap-top.
The old saying - "If it ain't broke don't fix it!". The E.U. really could do with fixing. MM
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:Javelin was a frigate despite what Wiki says.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Javelin_(F61)

F61.
Note the pennant number. F for frigate.
Destroyers begin with D and the ships are a little bigger than frigates, though not much bigger.
Apparently not - at least, not during WW2 - unless this Wiki article is also wrong:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennant_n ... _World_War

The system has changed since then (scroll down for details). And the RN fleet has got smaller...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

You should bear in mind the simple fact that the UK population played no part in the treachery that Major & That Bloody Woman committed!!!

Not quite.

The electorate voted for the Conservativess, knowing what their leader stood for.
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

merseymouth wrote:Hi mjr, You should bear in mind the simple fact that the UK population played no part in the treachery that Major & That Bloody Woman committed!!!

What, so you're against Unions now? I guess that means the slow inevitable break-up of the United Kingdom is another good thing about Brexit in your opinion.

merseymouth wrote:The old saying - "If it ain't broke don't fix it!". The E.U. really could do with fixing. MM

Indeed and that's another reason why we should remain in it, to help fix it - but we seem to have become a nation of short-sighted quitters. To put it in terms you might use: May would have been Halifax-plus-plus, ready to do any deal to quit the good fight no matter what the cost.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pete75 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Your statement about Iceland is inaccurate as well. Iceland is a long way from the North Sea. It was occupied to stop the Germans using it as a base to attack North Atlantic convoys not those in the North Sea.

Debatable, The problem was that these convoys were vulnerable throughout the North Sea, Norwegian Sea. Barents Sea, as well and the North Atlantic.

Iceland would have been a possible base that allowed German access to all these areas

Given that the Germans had the whole west coast of Europe from Biarritz to the North Cape they'd hardly have used bases in Iceland to attack North Sea convoys when they had much shorter routes to do the same particularly as the majority of their bombers had relatively short ranges. They'd hardly be sending a long range FW Condor all the way from Iceland to sink ships off, for example, Aberdeen when they could do the same with less risk using a JU88 from Stavanger.
Why do you think anyone would fear Iceland bases as a greater threat to shipping in the North Sea rather than shipping in the North Atlantic. The reason it was occupied was because of teh danger to North Atlantic not North Sea shipping.

Strategically the Big Battleships operating from Iceland were less vulnerable to Allied attack than those operating from Norway

That was the key, an operational base for the Navy, but we will never know because the “Invasion” prevented the ships operating from Iceland

That is why ALL shipping in the North Sea, Barents Sea, Norwegian Sea (etc) was at risk.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Loved the News today

Apparently the 40 WTO agreements in place were negotiated through the EU

If we leave they are invalid
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

merseymouth wrote:Hi mjr, You should bear in mind the simple fact that the UK population played no part in the treachery that Major & That Bloody Woman committed!!!
Only the electorate of Finchley actually voted for the "Milk Snatcher".
Major was so good with figures he couldn't even pass the test to become a Bus Conductor! Not a C.V. that I would aspire to.
Modernist thinking has lumbered me with a work tool that does what the hell it wants, rather than what I ask it to do - this HP Lap-top.
The old saying - "If it ain't broke don't fix it!". The E.U. really could do with fixing. MM

I'll try again. What do you ~actually want~?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

I come back!, What do you want me to answer, Better Computers or are you after my best outcome for the E.U. mess? MM
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

merseymouth wrote: or are you after my best outcome for the E.U. mess? MM

This.
Eton Rifle

Post by Eton Rifle »

merseymouth wrote:Hello Playmates, My mongrel grandfather was of Anglo Irish extraction, served with the Royal Fusiliers, after wounding Durham Light Infantry, after further wounding Army Labour Corps. When WW2 arrived he signed up for the Royal Artillery, but after a proper medical he was declined for active service, with a badge & thanks from George V. Why the military assigned him to the RF is a question, having enlisted in his home city Manchester.
With regards to the current E.U. posturing & arm wrestling I think I would take you back to a much earlier issue? DANEGELD !!!!!!!!! MM

Sorry, does any of this drivel have anything to do with Brexit? Why are so many supporters of brexit so obsessed with the World Wars of the 20th Century? You weren't even there.