Online route planning question

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattsccm

Online route planning question

Post by mattsccm »

Sorry for vague title, couldn't think of a better but short one.

Can anyone point me towards an online route planning site that allows me to plan one route and save it and then on the same map, with the first route showing, plan another?

I use RidewithGPS usually although occasionally something like BIkehike but can't seem to do what I want on these sites.
Warning. I am useless with anything too techy.
I want to plan some club rides, all with the same first and last bit but with differing length middle sections. The fact that I am in the middle of 4 OS maps doesn't help me do it on paper and road atlases don't show all the minor lanes.
Ta
hayers

Re: Online route planning question

Post by hayers »

Not quite answering your query, but OS will.do a map with customised centre point
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/c ... WUQAvD_BwE

Personally I like to plan (and navigate) with maps, aided by online mapping where printed maps are unclear. I normally plan my spring tour this time of year in the dark, cold evenings, thinking ahead to what I imagine will be warm sunny rides later in the year, with nice cafes and cosy pubs with good beer and hearty food. Sometimes it turns out like that!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Use cycle.travel and nane and save each route. They can easily be recalled at any time.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

mattsccm wrote:Sorry for vague title, couldn't think of a better but short one.

Can anyone point me towards an online route planning site that allows me to plan one route and save it and then on the same map, with the first route showing, plan another?

I use RidewithGPS usually although occasionally something like BIkehike but can't seem to do what I want on these sites.
Warning. I am useless with anything too techy.
I want to plan some club rides, all with the same first and last bit but with differing length middle sections. The fact that I am in the middle of 4 OS maps doesn't help me do it on paper and road atlases don't show all the minor lanes.
Ta

RideWithGPS does this very well - in fact it's better at it than any other software I've tried, with the arguable exception of the late lamented Tracklogs. I use RWGPS for planning my commercial cycle tours, as my routes include optional detours and shortcuts and RWGPS lets me view and edit all the alternatives at the same time.

The key is the "Event" facility (which, confusingly, is not the same as the Event Account, which is a special subscription designed for clubs and event organisers). However it may be a premium feature - I'm not sure, as I have premium and RWGPS isn't very good at explaining which feature goes with which account level. It's money well spent if you want to do this kind of thing often, though.

On the user's home page on the RWGPS, "Events" is in the left hand column.
rw1a.png
rw1a.png (14.25 KiB) Viewed 1409 times

At bottom left is the "create an event" button.
rw2.png
rw2.png (7.41 KiB) Viewed 1409 times

From here you can create a new event and add multiple routes to it, choosing to show all or just some of them on screen simultaneously. Here's a shot of me editing an event. I'm currently editing the "Red route"; all the other routes belonging to the event are shown in grey on the map. I can easily switch from editing one route to another within this view. (Click on the image for a bigger version.)
rw3.png

It's a bit fiddly and it took me a while to learn how to get the best out of it, but it's very effective. Feel free to PM if you want more tips on it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mattsccm wrote: .... to plan one route and save it and then on the same map, with the first route showing, plan another?
That is the difficult bit.

The ones I've tried - and I reckon I've tried 'em all - will only do one at once.
Yes, you can have multiple windows open and flip back and forth to see them, but not two on the same map at the same time.

You can add another track, but it adds itself onto the end of the first or you can have two but one is in the background greyed out.
Mick F. Cornwall
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Mick F wrote:
mattsccm wrote: .... to plan one route and save it and then on the same map, with the first route showing, plan another?
That is the difficult bit.

The ones I've tried - and I reckon I've tried 'em all - will only do one at once.
Yes, you can have multiple windows open and flip back and forth to see them, but not two on the same map at the same time.

You can add another track, but it adds itself onto the end of the first or you can have two but one is in the background greyed out.

See my post above. RideWithGPS does it, all on the same page. I do this kind of thing for a living.* RWGPS's implementation isn't perfect but it works and it delivers what the OP was after.

The Tracklogs Windows application used to be even better in that you could connect up linked routes then swap between them, like changing the points on a railway line. So you could (for instance) draw a main route that went over a big hill and a "branch" route that went around the side of the hill, then flip branch to be main and vice versa, to see how each alternative affected the total distance and elevation of the ride.

* Part of a living, anyway.
RickH

Post by RickH »

A second vote for cycle.travel.

Create a route by clicking & /or dragging (you may want to tick the "Click map to add more points")

When you've finished click on the save button, give it a name & click save.

Click on the route at the places you don't want it to change & click "add a via point" so those bits (from the start & to the end) will stay constant.

Then drag the bits of the route you want to change until you have the new middle part of the route that you want sorted.

Click "save" again & this time give it a new name in the box below "Save with new name". When you click the save button this time you will have a second route with the new name.

Repeat as many times as necessary.

Optionally you can create a folder to keep the set of routes together &, if you go to the "my (bicycle symbol)" > "journeys" part of the site you can toggle whether routes are public or private (the glasses symbol next to each route).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cycle.travel also allows you to view a folder of routes all on the same map. Go to My Cycle: Journeys and click the "Map" link next to the appropriate folder.

You cannot edit them from that screen, though. Editing is still one route at a time.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Cheers Andy.
In RWGPS I can create and name a route. Haven't tried the mapping yet but it looks possible.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

You can do something similar to your needs In MapOut. I’ve drawn two example routes here
2188B664-C517-447F-9E20-369972BD4B8F.png

All routes will show as the same colour line though. Unless you select one of the routes
E41CD37B-A274-4BCA-BEF0-101F17DC8CED.png
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info