Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you press the button to stop speeding crime?

Poll ended at 7 Mar 2019, 6:15pm

Yes, if I have time several times
5%
Yes, anything reducing speed, +1!
3%
Sometimes
3%
Only if I want to cross
42%
Not occurred to me, shall in future
3%
No, that is interfering
No votes
No, that is childish
34%
No, afraid to annoy drivers
No votes
No, surely that is illegal/illogical
8%
I fight speeding in other ways: e.g.:
3%

Total votes: 38

Cyril Haearn

Re: Slowing motor traffic - press the button!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Not sure what 'trolling' means here, I thought it meant bullying, insulting, suggesting violence, I do not do any of those

I really do not want more cycling, no irony/humour/provocation meant!
Shall we call it "attention-seeking" then?

Don't you think, bp, you've made your point, and time to desist....?

Not attention-seeking, I have been getting the wrong sort of attention, Minus One
My suggestion is something we can all do now to cut speed and reduce danger. I suspect I have many silent supporters who don't bother posting for fear of being criticised

There was a suggestion one tries to influence the local constabulary, I did that once, sent a letter to police hq urging more enforcement. Instead of replying by letter, the cops sent TWO officers to call on me at home on a Sunday morning to explain their policies! I was so surprised I did not respond appropriately

Fortunately the mods have not deleted this, that could be seen as giving in to bullying and restricting freedom of expression
You do not have to read it
I have not posted any nastiness on here, I did not create work for the mods, my critics did that
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 7 Feb 2019, 4:48pm, edited 3 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:If you WANT to use ped crossings, you often - in a city/town environment - have to go out of your route to cross. Maybe there's a roundabout or a big junction. In order to do it as per design, you need to walk further, be constrained by barriers, and have to wait until you get the green man. You may have to do this five or six times to get across.

Look at this junction to the north of Plymouth.
Park and Ride.jpg
I've often walked from top-right (from the park and ride) to walk down the road off the bottom.
In order to do this, I have to cross FOUR individual crossings.

Easier and quicker is to ignore the crossing buttons and wait for gaps in the traffic.
Much easier and much quicker, is to walk diagonally from the P+R avoiding all the barriers.

The easiest way would be to drive of course :(
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:No, nothing to add, thanks.

Why do you bother posting to say you have nothing to add? Seems a waste of time to me

If you think that simple courtesy is a waste of time then that makes one of us.

If I have nothing to say I do not post, that is polite enough
Now I am unclear what you think, whether you agree with me or whether you are just saying that you have nothing to say, or whether you really want more cycling
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
kwackers wrote:Here's my idea and like all my ideas it's based on good solid safety practices...

As you cycle along and come across a pedestrian crossing, slow down and tap the button as you go past.
This will halt the following traffic reducing incidences of close passes and provide a potential green man at an opportune time for any passing pedestrians.
Win win.

Except that it delays the next green man for any pedestrians, as I explained earlier. Win lose!

And a short fused, brexit voting, angry gammon who watched the cyclist press the button for no reason drives through the red light and sets out to get him. If anything it would increase the number of close passes and may infuriate close passers to do worse.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Most drivers are staring at the lights ready to get away immediately, very few care about PoFs
I have pressed the button so many times, I know what I am describing, I have never been attacked
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pete75 wrote:And a short fused, brexit voting, angry gammon who watched the cyclist press the button for no reason drives through the red light and sets out to get him. If anything it would increase the number of close passes and may infuriate close passers to do worse.

No, it'll be great.

I've made myself a giant rubber finger to make the task easier.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

kwackers wrote:
pete75 wrote:And a short fused, brexit voting, angry gammon who watched the cyclist press the button for no reason drives through the red light and sets out to get him. If anything it would increase the number of close passes and may infuriate close passers to do worse.

No, it'll be great.

May I order a pack of ten please? :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Roads should be completely painted in black and white stripes in towns and villages across the land with Belisha Beacons positioned every 20 yards.

All pedestrians (and cyclists wheeling their bikes) would have precedence on all the roads.

The pedestrian is king. They don't need buttons.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Why do you bother posting to say you have nothing to add? Seems a waste of time to me

If you think that simple courtesy is a waste of time then that makes one of us.

If I have nothing to say I do not post, that is polite enough
Now I am unclear what you think, whether you agree with me or whether you are just saying that you have nothing to say, or whether you really want more cycling

Thank you for your opinion.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

kwackers wrote:

No, it'll be great.

I hope you don't strap it to the crossbar or mit might look like a giant something else...
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
paddler

Post by paddler »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:...and why would we not want motorists to turn to cycling (upgrade, as you put it), out of interest?

Surely that's precisely what we would all wish?

No! Where I live a lot of people cycle, I do not want more, like in Kopenhagen
Many of the journeys made buy car no are unnecessary or could be made by train

One often hears experts calling for more cycling but they mean (I fear) that motorists upgrade to cycling, right?
I would settle for less motor traffic full stop
I am lucky mind, out of town I can cycle for hours and hardly see a soul. Not many PoBs manage to get more than 15 km from home

No, I do not want more cycling! Alternative views, friendly argument, thread drift welcome :)

Not sure why you wouldn't want more cycling? Traffic doesn't bother me. I've spent almost the last thirty years working in or alongside roads of varying sorts, so I suppose I'm used to being near it. But I was thinking about this just now and suddenly realised just how quiet it would be. Imagine being in a city with no motor noise. Fantastic!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

paddler wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:...and why would we not want motorists to turn to cycling (upgrade, as you put it), out of interest?

Surely that's precisely what we would all wish?

No! Where I live a lot of people cycle, I do not want more, like in Kopenhagen

One often hears experts calling for more cycling but they mean (I fear) that motorists upgrade to cycling, right?
I am lucky mind, out of town I can cycle for hours and hardly see a soul. Not many PoBs manage to get more than 15 km from home

No, I do not want more cycling! Alternative views, friendly argument, thread drift welcome :)

Not sure why you wouldn't want more cycling?

More cycling is more traffic, some cyclists do not always obey the law
I would settle for less motor traffic, period

Mr bonefish is obviously wrong again in asserting we all want more motorists upgrading to cycling, he could never know that. Certainly not all, not every single one! Statements using 'all' are not to be trusted
More walking might be ok I think, very few people walk now, but please not more cycling! Especially not TDC

Planting to start a poll on 'more cycling' soon :wink:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
paddler wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:No! Where I live a lot of people cycle, I do not want more, like in Kopenhagen

Not sure why you wouldn't want more cycling?

More cycling is more traffic, some cyclists do not always obey the law
I would settle for less motor traffic, period

Mr bonefish is obviously wrong again in asserting we all want more motorists upgrading to cycling, he could never know that. Certainly not all, not every single one! Statements using 'all' are not to be trusted
More walking might be ok I think, very few people walk now, but please not more cycling! Especially not TDC

Planting to start a poll on 'more cycling' soon :wink:

That is a very silly thing to say. Almost everybody who is able to walk walks.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No they don't.
They may "walk", but they don't WALK.
They don't walk to the shops, or to work, or to school.

Generalisation I know, but there's truth in it.
Mick F. Cornwall
paddler

Post by paddler »

One of our neighbours is a teacher at the primary school, which is just under half a mile away. She always drives. She is overweight.