Britain's 'angriest town.'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vetus Ossa

Britain's 'angriest town.'

Post by Vetus Ossa »

How would you like a Premier Inn built in your (small) town. Not sure I would.
I have always found the residents quite friendly.
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/angry-devon-t ... 57091.html
Beauty will save the world.
mjr

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Post by mjr »

I won't sell my soul to Oath. What's it about? My local town has a Premier Inn and it's not that big. Has a Travelodge too. Several independents closer to the centre which are very bike-friendly too: the Stuart House and Fairlight Lodge to name two.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Here's a link to the story without having to mess about with yahoo

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8381627/b ... inn-fight/

FWIW, we have one just up the road which calls itself Birstall but is a toss-up between Gildersome and Drighlington. I didn't realise it was there till just the other day: I thought it was part of the pub next-door. It's there because it's within a couple of hundred yards of J27 of the M62, handy for Leeds, Bradford and W Yorks more generally. I doubt if it has any effect on the trade in the area, although LS27 is hardly a tourist centre.

Chains like this seem to do well because they provide a basic and predictable service for people who need it, especially business travellers. You're never going to find an undiscovered gem, but you're unlikely to end up in somewhere quirky or plain rotten. You know what you are getting.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I think the effect of a supermarket chain or a food chain opening in a small town is somewhat different to a hotel chain opening. The first 2 will be mostly competing for the ££ of the local residents where most hotel visitors will be from out of town. Something like Premier Inn won't really be in direct competition but is likely to increase the number of visitors (along with their spending) and also increase employment opportunities.

That is unless Tavistock considers itself "a local [town] for local people"? :lol:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Not far away from where the great Mick F lives?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Its a bit like the effect Wetherspoons must have on pubs although most pubs these days are in effect part of a chain anyway. The inexorable march of chains whether its hotels, pubs or chain restaurants is a fact of modern life. To me its a mixed bag, chains can mean consistent high levels of quality and service, or a dismal lack of variety and individually. I err towards the latter.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

philvantwo wrote:Not far away from where the great Mick F lives?

Not in the same county and IIRC, he considers Cornwall (Kernow?) a different country.
peetee

Post by peetee »

thirdcrank wrote:
philvantwo wrote:Not far away from where the great Mick F lives?

Not in the same county and IIRC, he considers Cornwall (Kernow?) a different country.

Quite right too!

As for Premier Inn, the opinions of the residents and businesses should be considered in such a town. It is a interconnected network of income for the council and should be presented as such to counter Premier Inn's financial claim.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

thirdcrank wrote:

Not while it's services are paid for by all of us ... like the services in Yorkshire, Essex, Cumbria, Monmouthshire, Down, Angus.

A country that is not self supporting, isn't a country ...

Premier Inn will bring jobs ....

The retired and semi retired should not stand in the way of local jobs for local people...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Despite a long battle, a Premier Inn has been approved for the small city of St.David's.

I didn't get involved in the issue myself, but obviously the local hoteliers and B&B owners are up in arms.
I can't see that it'll bring much employment to the area, though it may bring employees in.

Given how quiet the place is in winter, I wonder how successful it will be.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

[quote="fausto copy")...Given how quiet the place is in winter, I wonder how successful it will be.[/quote]

Oligopolies can always cross-subsidise until a new store/hotel gets established: they'll have done their research.

J.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

These always remind me of Lymington

When Woolworths folded, Wetherspoons wanted to take over the premises.

However it would lower the tone of the town, was undesirable and definitely not fitting in with the culture of Lymington

So Eighteen months down the line, they had that much more cultured, respectable business that fits in so well with the up market Town

fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Hobbs1951 wrote:[quote="fausto copy")...Given how quiet the place is in winter, I wonder how successful it will be.

Oligopolies can always cross-subsidise until a new store/hotel gets established: they'll have done their research.

J.[/quote]

A few years back a fellow village resident of mine, a shop owner and quite an entrepreneur opened a large grocery store in St.Davids.
That too was met with lots of local opposition as there were a few smaller stores.
They all survived for quite some time, until my acquaintance sold his store to one of the smaller regional companies.
Now, there's just the one store with basically an upmarket deli as the only viable opposition.

I don't suppose it's a direct comparison with Premier Inn muscling in, but the way things are going these days I'm afraid it won't be long before Mike Ashley takes over the whole country. :( :shock:
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello Playmates, Of late I have spent time in Penrith, a few visits.
So I was asked which I preferred Premier Inn or The George, in the town centre. No brainer - The George it is, a non harmoginized establishment.
Really nice staff as well. IGICB (often) MM
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

merseymouth wrote:Hello Playmates, Of late I have spent time in Penrith, a few visits.
So I was asked which I preferred Premier Inn or The George, in the town centre. No brainer - The George it is, a non harmoginized establishment.
Really nice staff as well. IGICB (often) MM

There are arguments both ways.

For us, the majority of accommodation cannot cope with disabled access, you cannot get a wheelchair into the bed room or shower room, and there are stairs and steps that act as barrier throughout.

The George at Penrith is typical of this.....

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm really sorry but the George Hotel does not offer wheelchair access to the bedrooms. This is due to it being a listed building so we are unable to install a wheelchair accessible lift.

I'm sorry we can't be of help this time.

Kind regards,

Dani

We go to a Premier Inn, or its rivals and we have always had the facilities that we need at in this case a quarter off the cost

Much the same with pubs, I have wandered around many a town looking for an accessible pub with a disabled loo, and ended up in a large chain to get that facility