** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:It appears that some don't like what I say, but you must notice that I do not use those demeaning words and imply fault on others in self imagined doom, except on those who use the words that do not belong here.

You have certainly used demeaning words like the one based on moan that is now banned! And you used to use it indiscrimately. So stop it with the wounded saint routine, please.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mjr wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:It appears that some don't like what I say, but you must notice that I do not use those demeaning words and imply fault on others in self imagined doom, except on those who use the words that do not belong here.

You have certainly used demeaning words like the one based on moan that is now banned! And you used to use it indiscrimately. So stop it with the wounded saint routine, please.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_mentality
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I see Japan are expecting to have more favourable trading terms with us than with the EU.

Not sure what that will ultimately mean, but as their new deal with the EU has a "favoured nation" clause it does mean they can't offer us a better deal than they offered the EU.

Given we have a trade surplus with them I suspect we'll roll over. Best be quick too, trading under WTO with them is going to hurt us a lot.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

H MJR, Does the old saying "People In Glass Houses Should Never Throw Stones" mean anything to you?Far too often reasonable posters are shouted down or demands are made that they should explain their preference chapter and verse, with all thing backed up with a full bibliographic citing thrown in!
Just think about it, if I say I don't like Fremlin's Beer, which I don't, why should I have to give a forensic explaination of my reasoning?
Hope you don't confess that many years ago you wanted to bash all Scousers :lol: :lol: :lol: MM
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:How can I spare anyone potential chaos.
I agree, you as an individual, can't. But you can join with us in pleading with the powers-that-be, who can....

Why is it that one stupid voter niggles the expert educated well connected self professed elite on these posts.
I repeat, the word 'stupid' is yours, not mine. And there's a huge difference between "expert educated" and "well connected self professed elite". Don't confuse the two.

but you must notice that I do not use those demeaning words and imply fault on others in self imagined doom, except on those who use the words that do not belong here.
Others have observed differently.

...call me stupid if its so desires / ignore stupid people :)
And once again ....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Post by mjr »

merseymouth wrote:H MJR, Does the old saying "People In Glass Houses Should Never Throw Stones" mean anything to you?Far too often reasonable posters are shouted down or demands are made that they should explain their preference chapter and verse, with all thing backed up with a full bibliographic citing thrown in!
Just think about it, if I say I don't like Fremlin's Beer, which I don't, why should I have to give a forensic explaination of my reasoning?
Hope you don't confess that many years ago you wanted to bash all Scousers :lol: :lol: :lol: MM

You don't have to explain, but equally it's a poor behaviour to keep posting that you just don't like it if you're unwilling to explain and you're going to sulk when people conclude that you're being irrational.

Yes, I recognise that saying and I suggest the few who repeatedly complain about being insulted would do well to remember it!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Hello all, It has been said that the UK no longer has the infrastructure to produce it's own standards & regulations, with the automotive industry specifically cited.
Well I don't know that the German system makes many friends? In Germany each element of a vehicle has to be specified & approve, sounds oh. But if one changes an item such as wheel size, tyre type or exhaust etc then the vehicle has to undergo the full approval process all over again!
So if a car owner decides to change the wheel size, to fit appropriate winter tyres (With the same overall wheel/tyre diameter) he must get fresh approval. Very safety conscious I don't think.
Of course each of the other countries can comply or ignore such regs!
Even driver/rider licensing is different in each country. Harmonization? MM

The truth is that far from having to get permission to fit winter tyres to a vehicle in Germany it is actually a legal requirement to do so if you want to drive when there is ice and snow. A steh weather can't be predicted this means most German drivers run on winter tyres from the mid autumn to mid spring.
If you are changing wheel sizes in the UK you have to notify your insurer that the vehicle has been "modified". It will result in a premium increase as will any other modification. In Germany the government, a sit should , police such things. In the UK it's left to the private sector ie insurance companies. It gives them a chance to charge the customer a bit more for absolutely nothing. SOme even class winter tyres as a "modification" and increase the premium.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:H MJR, Does the old saying "People In Glass Houses Should Never Throw Stones" mean anything to you?Far too often reasonable posters are shouted down or demands are made that they should explain their preference chapter and verse, with all thing backed up with a full bibliographic citing thrown in!

No one has to give any reason for disliking a non existent beer,. Fremlins stopped brewing more than forty years ago.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
pete75 wrote:I know all that you're saying ie that their votes were partly because they'd suffered through austerity. My point is that because of this suffering they voted for something which will make it worse not better. I still maintain that to vote in that way is a stupid thing to do.
You may well think their plight will be improved by Brexit or the Libertarian, market economy which will probably be no deal Britain's future so please explain how it will happen.

Nowhere did i say or imply this.

I didn't say you had. I said you may well think that. You seem to be arguing that theirs wasn't a stupid vote which will make their plight worse ergo you must think it will make it better. That's implies belief in the sentence you have highlighted.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My problem with a number of leavers here is not their intelligence or education and not their decision to vote leave. The problem I have is the way they make strong, pejorative statements and when asked to clarify or provide evidence decline to reply.

That does not put them in a good light. So it becomes less about intelligence and more about integrity and intellectual honesty.
John
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

pete75 wrote:No one has to give any reason for disliking a non existent beer,. Fremlins stopped brewing more than forty years ago.

Are you referring to the Whitbread take over when you assert Fremlins stopped brewing - because I was drinking Fremlin's beers (including Tusker) when I lived in Kent in the 1980s ?

J.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

kwackers wrote:I see Japan are expecting to have more favourable trading terms with us than with the EU.

This will apply to every post Brexit trade deal.

The EU is a nearly 10x bigger market than the UK.

Obviously, negotiating on our own, terms will be worse.

Of all the bizarre beliefs touted in support of Brexit, the idea that an independent trade policy will benefit us is probably the single most surreal. Yet it is parroted without challenge constantly as the most important thing we need from the deal with the EU.

It's totally surreal.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pete75 wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
pete75 wrote:I know all that you're saying ie that their votes were partly because they'd suffered through austerity. My point is that because of this suffering they voted for something which will make it worse not better. I still maintain that to vote in that way is a stupid thing to do.
You may well think their plight will be improved by Brexit or the Libertarian, market economy which will probably be no deal Britain's future so please explain how it will happen.

Nowhere did i say or imply this.

I didn't say you had. I said you may well think that. You seem to be arguing that theirs wasn't a stupid vote which will make their plight worse ergo you must think it will make it better. That's implies belief in the sentence you have highlighted.

You are incorrect.

You're projecting your own beliefs on to mine. If you want to know what I think, just ask, rather than guess.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, My dislike of Fremlins goes way back, my grand-parents lived in Whitstable, so hated both the tap water & the beer!
My current knowledge of the beers in the area is very limited, restrict myself to known bottled beer.
Some folk still hold grudges about Greenhall Whitley & Higsons, beer drinkers may have long memories? TTFN MM