Britain's 'angriest town.'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: Britain's 'angriest town.'

Post by Cunobelin »

landsurfer wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:
Not in the same county and IIRC, he considers Cornwall (Kernow?) a different country.

Not while it's services are paid for by all of us ... like the services in Yorkshire, Essex, Cumbria, Monmouthshire, Down, Angus.

A country that is not self supporting, isn't a country ...

Premier Inn will bring jobs ....

The retired and semi retired should not stand in the way of local jobs for local people...

.... Just wait for the Cornish Backstop!!!!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote: ........Premier Inn will bring jobs ....

The retired and semi retired should not stand in the way of local jobs for local people...

I don't know Tavistock well enough to know the effect on local trade such a hotel might have, but I'm not sure it will bring that many jobs,30 to 50 max I should think.Though if it effects local hotels and B&B's negatively it's overall effect could be negative for the whole town.
Is it only the retired and semi retired that don't want such an establishment?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote: ........Premier Inn will bring jobs ....

I don't know Tavistock well enough to know the effect on local trade such a hotel might have, but I'm not sure it will bring that many jobs,30 to 50 max I should think.Though if it effects local hotels and B&B's negatively it's overall effect could be negative for the whole town.
Is it only the retired and semi retired that don't want such an establishment?

If your job is one of the 30 - 50 the that can be life changing.
Premier Inns are not cheap / budget hotels ....they won't effect the budget b&b in the area ..
The retired and semi retired ... of which i am one ... are usually the most vocal wingers and NIMBY's in my experience ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Cunobelin, Whilst understand and appreciate your point about "Disabled Access", I think that you are commenting from a very specific direction.
Had the question have been about accessible accommodation I would have agreed with you entirely, but that was nos the issue under debate!
If your reading of things was to be applied to housing & accommodation in general then 95% of all properties in the UK would have to be demolished!
I have had direct involvement in local authority access workings, so know full well that the aspirations of the certain groups are not addressed correctly, even the Disabilities Discrimination Act has major defects, so abuse is rife. But it would be viewed as Utopian to expect better. I understand the pain inflicted.
But family experience of certain Premier Inns leads me to know their faults. Not for . Take care, MM
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:If your job is one of the 30 - 50 the that can be life changing.

That isn't such a large employer in a town with a population of 13,000.

Premier Inns are not cheap / budget hotels ....they won't effect the budget b&b in the area

B&B's in sort after areas aren't cheap.
The really cheap B&B's are mostly occupied by homeless families on benefits due to there not being enough social housing.
Just checked Premier Inn prices from £35 a night according to their website,not what I'd call premier hotel room prices.

The retired and semi retired ... of which i am one ... are usually the most vocal wingers and NIMBY's in my experience ...

Do you have a link in support of that statement or is it an assumption?
IMO,the 'most vocal whingers' are usually the people any perceived detriment affects most.
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:If your job is one of the 30 - 50 the that can be life changing.

Premier Inns are not cheap / budget hotels ....they won't effect the budget b&b in the area

The really cheap B&B's are mostly occupied by homeless families on benefits due to there not being enough social housing.
Just checked Premier Inn prices from £35 a night according to their website,not what I'd call premier hotel room prices.

IMO,the 'most vocal whingers' are usually the people any perceived detriment affects most.

Send me a list of the Premier Inns that you can book for £35 per night .... please ... locations .
We work all over the UK from Inverness to Penzance, from Swansea to Dover .... please let me know where these £35 a night Prem Inns are ...
We are on average paying £78 per night per room ... we must be getting robbed ...
Be more Mike.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I hate the use of NIMBY. It implies that folk should not defend their community against detrimental developments, and just let outsiders come in and do what they like. The key thing is, would you support others not in your area defending their own community against the same sort of development. If yes, why not defend your own community? Not all development is good. If you have a view about stuff going on in your area, speak up.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Send me a list of the Premier Inns that you can book for £35 per night .... please ... locations .
We work all over the UK from Inverness to Penzance, from Swansea to Dover .... please let me know where these £35 a night Prem Inns are ...
We are on average paying £78 per night per room ... we must be getting robbed ...

Booking in advance and being selective, there are quite a few at this price, and also the price is for a room.

For two of us it is often a half to a third of the price of alternative accommodation
pwa

Post by pwa »

Playing around with the Premier Inn site I found a room for one at £39 in Evesham for one day in March. I think if you book well ahead you get lower prices.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

As I posted,the info was from their website and did say 'from' £35 per night.

Anyway what about the rest of my post,any info on that.
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:[

No ... non at all ...
Be more Mike.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

You are. You could get a top quality sole occupancy Airbnb apartment anywhere in the UK outside of Kingdom for about half of that. I can recommend you half a dozen countrywide if you want..
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:

No ... non at all ...

But surely that's what the thread is all about,whether the people of Tavistock's complaints against the building of a hotel chain branch in their town are valid.
That IMO should be their choice.
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Canuk wrote:You are. You could get a top quality sole occupancy Airbnb apartment anywhere in the UK outside of Kingdom for about half of that. I can recommend you half a dozen countrywide if you want..

As long as that Airbnb has good showers, towels changed every day and a nearby source of food for my mechanical fitting teams ... Most Airbnb refuse access to contractors.
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

No ... non at all ...

But surely that's what the thread is all about,whether the people of Tavistock's complaints against the building of a hotel chain branch in their town are valid.
That IMO should be their choice.

Do the people of Tavistock have a say in every new business that comes to town ... thats a lot of referendums .. and of course the second referendum if they don't give the right result ... :lol:
Be more Mike.