Car hire for over 70's

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Car hire for over 70's

Post by francovendee »

I drive back to the UK less these days and usually take a cheap flight. Up til now I've then just used public transport but next visit I need a car. I've heard that some people have been refused car hire because they are over 70. I contacted one company, Eurocar, and I've been told they did hire to people older than 70.
I'm still a bit wary that when I turn up they won't let me hire a car, talking to someone is a bit removed from dealing with the person at the pick up point.
Has anyone been able to hire who are also 70+?
Cyril Haearn

Re: Car hire for over 70's

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You could try booking in advance if you know exactly when, might be cheaper too

May very young drivers hire vehicles? Do hire companies ask whether one has points?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

There are a lot of differences in hire firms

Some will only hire if you have a licence for to years, others for one year, others will allow after one year, but with ah higher insurance premium

A quick google shows that some (url=http://www.rhinocarhire.com/Car-Hire/Over-70.aspx) even offer a discount[/url]

I am afraid it will be a case of shopping around
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there, I regularly use Enterprise, who treat me well.
My only issue of note concerns all hire vehicles? Why are all of the basic safety related controls in different makes? Indeed with a make range different models??
Having to learn the location of switches & regulators each time one uses a hire car can be quite a fraught experience. Generally don't have such issues with pedal-cycles. IGICB MM
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

merseymouth wrote:Hi there, I regularly use Enterprise, who treat me well.
My only issue of note concerns all hire vehicles? Why are all of the basic safety related controls in different makes? Indeed with a make range different models??
Having to learn the location of switches & regulators each time one uses a hire car can be quite a fraught experience. Generally don't have such issues with pedal-cycles. IGICB MM

Right again, one needs a half hour to learn the controls, they should be standardised and simplified, legislation is needed!
A solution might be to try to hire the same make of vehicle each time
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjal

Post by mjal »

Perhaps a little late in posting this but here is my experience with car hire since my 70th birthday.

Avis : slightly confusing in that age is "30-70" on the initial page. This really means "30-69" i.e if you are already 70 you need to uncheck the box and you will then be asked to state your d.o.b..My hire in Germany last year was very slightly more expensive than for a driver under 70.

Europcar : age "over 26" ; no problems.

Hertz : "age at time of pickup" ; various choices including 70+. Prices are again IIRC very slightly higher if over 70 ; I did not actually use this firm.

So there are no real concerns for those of us beyond the three-score-and-ten...just remember to obtain your DVLA check code (though I have yet to be asked for in about 7 hirings, mostly abroad).