** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, My dislike of Fremlins goes way back, my grand-parents lived in Whitstable, so hated both the tap water & the beer!
My current knowledge of the beers in the area is very limited, restrict myself to known bottled beer.
Some folk still hold grudges about Greenhall Whitley & Higsons, beer drinkers may have long memories? TTFN MM
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
pete75 wrote:No one has to give any reason for disliking a non existent beer,. Fremlins stopped brewing more than forty years ago.

Are you referring to the Whitbread take over when you assert Fremlins stopped brewing - because I was drinking Fremlin's beers (including Tusker) when I lived in Kent in the 1980s ?

J.

Yes but weren't they just Whitbread brewed stuff branded as Fremlins - a bit like the crap Moorlands and Greene King called Ruddles County after the demise of the Langham brewery? If anyone is claiming not to like Fremlins then that dislike is unfair if it's based on the taste of non Fremlins brewed beer. Whitbread closed the brewery in the early seventies.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Pete75, You should write a book about the defunct breweries, I'd buy a copy. TTFN MM
pete75

Post by pete75 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
pete75 wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Nowhere did i say or imply this.

I didn't say you had. I said you may well think that. You seem to be arguing that theirs wasn't a stupid vote which will make their plight worse ergo you must think it will make it better. That's implies belief in the sentence you have highlighted.

You are incorrect.

You're projecting your own beliefs on to mine. If you want to know what I think, just ask, rather than guess.

Ok so how do you think Brexit and voting for the same will make things better for the people who so voted in Britain's more deprived areas?
No I'm not projecting my beliefs onto yours. Quite the opposite - I believe it will make things worse.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Hi Pete75, You should write a book about the defunct breweries, I'd buy a copy. TTFN MM

Might be interesting to do but I think folk like Roger Prost have already beaten me to it.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pete75 wrote:I believe it will make things worse.

So do I. I've never said otherwise.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
kwackers wrote:I see Japan are expecting to have more favourable trading terms with us than with the EU.

This will apply to every post Brexit trade deal.

The EU is a nearly 10x bigger market than the UK.

Obviously, negotiating on our own, terms will be worse.

Of all the bizarre beliefs touted in support of Brexit, the idea that an independent trade policy will benefit us is probably the single most surreal. Yet it is parroted without challenge constantly as the most important thing we need from the deal with the EU.

It's totally surreal.

As I understand WTO, the flaw is that we trade with EVERYONE on the same terms after Brexit

If we offer terms to Japan, we have to offer everyone else the same deal

Only in two to three years when we have negotiated terms will there be individual deals
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

pete75 wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:
pete75 wrote:No one has to give any reason for disliking a non existent beer,. Fremlins stopped brewing more than forty years ago.

Are you referring to the Whitbread take over when you assert Fremlins stopped brewing - because I was drinking Fremlin's beers (including Tusker) when I lived in Kent in the 1980s ?

J.

Yes but weren't they just Whitbread brewed stuff branded as Fremlins - a bit like the crap Moorlands and Greene King called Ruddles County after the demise of the Langham brewery? If anyone is claiming not to like Fremlins then that dislike is unfair if it's based on the taste of non Fremlins brewed beer. Whitbread closed the brewery in the early seventies.

For a while yes, but the recipe remained faithful to the Fremlin's original, Tusker was dropped first after a short life after the takeover. Another of my favourite brewers has now been subject to a takeover - Fullers (London Pride) have been taken over by the brewer of bland lagers: Asahi. Youngs went in 2006, another of my favourite beers.

Successive UK governments have promoted this kind of"investment", the UK is the easiest country in the world in which to acquire businesses - about time the people rose up.

J.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:

J.

For a while yes, but the recipe remained faithful to the Fremlin's original, Tusker was dropped first after a short life after the takeover. Another of my favourite brewers has now been subject to a takeover - Fullers (London Pride) have been taken over by the brewer of bland lagers: Asahi. Youngs went in 2006, another of my favourite beers.

Successive UK governments have promoted this kind of"investment", the UK is the easiest country in the world in which to acquire businesses - about time the people rose up.

J.

So they said. Ruddles County was meant to have used the original recipe when brewed by Morelands. The taste said otherwise.
Youngs decided to sell their brewery site for development. They kept their pubs and had the beers brewed by Charlie Wells so not really an acquisition by Wells.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:

So why claim it wasn't a stupid thing to vote for when already badly off?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pete75 wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

It is my opinion that it is possible to disagree with me without being "stupid".

It is also my opinion that labelling millions of those who disagree with me as "stupid" would be lazy, uninformative, counterproductive, indeed, "stupid".
pete75

Post by pete75 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
pete75 wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

It is my opinion that it is possible to disagree with me without being "stupid".

It is also my opinion that labelling millions of those who disagree with me as "stupid" would be lazy, uninformative, counterproductive, indeed, "stupid".

I was specifically referring to people who voted for Brexit because they, along with the areas where the lived were doing badly economically. In those circumstances voting for something which will make things worse is stupid.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pete75 wrote:I was specifically referring to people who voted for Brexit because they, along with the areas where the lived were doing badly economically. In those circumstances voting for something which will make things worse is stupid.

Yes, I understand that. It is my opinion that your labelling these millions who disagreed you as "stupid" is lazy, uninformative, and counterproductive.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
pete75 wrote:I was specifically referring to people who voted for Brexit because they, along with the areas where the lived were doing badly economically. In those circumstances voting for something which will make things worse is stupid.

Yes, I understand that. It is my opinion that your labelling these millions who disagreed you as "stupid" is lazy, uninformative, and counterproductive.

It's not because they disagreed with me. It's because they voted for Brexit to makes things better for them when it will actually make things worse. That seems fairly simple to understand though you seem incapable of doing so.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pete75 wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

It's not because they disagreed with me. It's because they voted for Brexit to makes things better for them when it will actually make things worse. That seems fairly simple to understand though you seem incapable of doing so.

Uh huh. Presumably all down to my stupidity, right?