Paris St Lazare to Paris Montparnasse

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SimonCelsa

Paris St Lazare to Paris Montparnasse

Post by SimonCelsa »

Does anyone have a rough idea how long it would take to cycle between these 2 Parisian railway stations, say on a busy August Friday afternoon?

I have zero knowledge of the area but would have mapping on my phone. Looks like about 4 miles due South-ish. hence 30 minutes should suffice?

Bike wouldn't have much luggage. Cheers.
mjr

Re: Paris St Lazare to Paris Montparnasse

Post by mjr »

Yes about half an hour. As you stand with the station behind you, Rue Pasquier is to your right ahead. Take it to the river (place de la concorde), skirt the madness of the square and turn left along the river. Cross on the next bridge, where no cars go (I think it's the triple bridge with stairs from the lower quais) then go straight over the upper quai and straight over the first crossroads. The map suggests you could now go straight across the second too and then turn left onto a cycleway alongside the Bvd Saint-Germain and then turn right where that bit of cycleway ends into Rue do Rennes but I don't know it - the alternative is to turn left at the second crossroads into Rue de l'Universite and then right at a T into Saint-Benoit and go straight ahead at the end into Rue de Rennes and keep going forwards until you see Montparnasse and its tower.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

merci beaucoup!
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

I've done this transfer a couple of times, once on a Friday afternoon in teeming rain, it takes about 40 minutes if I remember correctly. I used this site to plot the best route, your route preferences are selectable.

http://www.geovelo.fr/france/itinerary/ ... RADITIONAL

Rob
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

An August afternoon is just about the best time to ride through Paris.

First time I did it I was quite nervous of the larger junctions until I saw a woman on a bike with a toddler in a kiddie seat sail gaily across. We hardened cyclist have got nothing on busy mums.
Have we got time for another cuppa?