Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
cycleruk

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by cycleruk »

flash wrote:Morning Chaps and Chappessess, does anyone have our complete route they can email me in some form? A friend is tempted...ta

I can Email "RidewithGPS" routes for each day. There should also be Strava/Garmin Connect records as well.
I think I have your Email ######"@fixed"######.
Let me know :D
You'll never know if you don't try it.
flash

Post by flash »

Thanks John, Paul beat you to it.
It's for a mature friend who's hoping to do it on a vintage rod braked, 3 speed bike.....sounds good, I'm quite tempted.... :D
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

flash wrote:Thanks John, Paul beat you to it.
It's for a mature friend who's hoping to do it on a vintage rod braked, 3 speed bike.....sounds good, I'm quite tempted.... :D

Make sure that his brakes work and that the gearing is low enough for some of the inclines we encountered. :wink:
Just to add that the two groups didn't always stick to the planned route but that shouldn't matter. :roll:
flash

Post by flash »

He’ll be fine. It’s equipped with Sturmey Archer’s finest. If I can get up St Michaels Hill in Bristol on my similarly geared 1936 F W Evans light tourer I’m sure he’ll be OK in Cornwall, Devon, Shap, etc. The brakes on the other hand.... :shock:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

flash wrote:He’ll be fine. It’s equipped with Sturmey Archer’s finest. If I can get up St Michaels Hill in Bristol on my similarly geared 1936 F W Evans light tourer I’m sure he’ll be OK in Cornwall, Devon, Shap, etc. The brakes on the other hand.... :shock:

Did we use brakes? :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
flash

Post by flash »

I'm sure I used my brake otherwise my legs would have been spinning like a tumble dryer on the descents..... :lol:
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Paulatic wrote:
flash wrote:He’ll be fine. It’s equipped with Sturmey Archer’s finest. If I can get up St Michaels Hill in Bristol on my similarly geared 1936 F W Evans light tourer I’m sure he’ll be OK in Cornwall, Devon, Shap, etc. The brakes on the other hand.... :shock:

Did we use brakes? :)

Not very often but there was a sketchy section (A49 Scenic route) where I could have done with a bit more retardation. :roll:
In the shade of trees, hardly able to see due to have sunspec's on and gravel in the middle of the road.
Made for a bit of buttock clinching. :mrgreen:
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Has friend given any thought to the logistics?
(Logistics definition:- The careful organization of a complicated activity so that it happens in a successful and effective way) :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

cycleruk wrote:

Has friend given any thought to the logistics?
(Logistics definition:- The careful organization of a complicated activity so that it happens in a successful and effective way) :D

'Lejostics' you mean :wink:
Hope the SA has a back-pedal brake too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cours

Post by Cours »

I must admit I wouldn't attempt it on anything less than a multi geared lightweight tourer that can carry least three water bottles. We did it 9 years ago now, and didn't have a single 'easy' day. Got scorching sunshine the first leg and cold fine rain the last 4 days. I wad very glsd of those gears and cantilver brakes riding through Scotland.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding ... the bell has rung for our Ken ... Happy days ... :D :D
Best regards Ken ...
David & Jules ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
softlips

Post by softlips »

landsurfer wrote:Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding ... the bell has rung for our Ken ... Happy days ... :D :D
Best regards Ken ...
David & Jules ....

Great news!! Really pleased.
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

landsurfer wrote:I'm doing the shorter route of 824 miles ... probably of the maximum 14 days allowed .... possibly not a race in my case ...but an adventure.
Yes, the "Party" ... so the super triathletes are going to wait around for the old guys to turn up 7 days later .... Swiss cheese comes to mind ...
However !!! lets see as we get closer to the actual event ...

So have you signed up David. I had a good look at the route and the shot route looks lovely. I might consider this for next year.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

No Steve i've not ..
The reality of looking after and caring for 3 young children (14, 9, 7) at our age has kicked in ...
Matt at PanCeltic has been in touch with me, and a real help, and i have left their fold.
As well as our new family we are regularly providing respite care for Riley ..
There is no prospect of our grandchildren's parents ever being their primary carers again.

The house is full of giggles, arguments and stroppy girls ... and boys ... :lol: .. of all ages ....

Best regards to you and Cally ... we could do with a catch up ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

A house full of giggles is more fun than a bikepacking trip any day. There is always another trip.
Maybe we should arrange a wimps bikepacking coast to coast.