Duke In Rollover

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Duke In Rollover

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Saving grace was that no one died or seriously injured.

Agreed.
Maybe a loop hole that needs closing along with anyone who never was fit enough, through lets say attitude to drive?

Maybe people who cause serious crashes or collect 9 or more points on there licences,whatever their age,should be assessed by a driving test inspector(at the drivers expense)as to whether they're fit to drive and not left to decide for themselves.
In the case of the DofE he's realised he's not upto to driving safely on UK roads,which is a good and honourable thing IMO.
However in the case of the driver cited in this thread:- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=128015 after being banned twice in 5 years gets his licence back again in 18months with no questions asked and no proof of his safe driving ability needed be shown,before he's allowed to drive again.
The law is way too lenient on unsafe drivers IMO

+1
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

:D :D :D :D :D
kwackers wrote:If only old codgers would surrender their right to vote that could have prevented a huge car crash.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Gang :) , All one has to do to surrender a driving license is to cut it in two, pop it in a stamped envelope, send it on it's way to the DVLA. Job done.
I do believe that quite a few on this Forum would have all of us oldies banned from "Posting" and maybe even incarcerated? :roll:
Big threat now is folk demanding that all mature drivers be removed from the road! But sadly if one does give up the license to drive one can be kippered, as our public transport system is at best fragmented at worse not fit for purpose.
In too many areas it impossible to find running buses on Sundays &Bank Holidays, so life has to be put on hold.
As I say Not Fit For Purpose! MM
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

The police do not make the decision about prosecution, as we know. The CPS has said that it will give his decision due consideration.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

francovendee wrote::D :D :D :D :D
kwackers wrote:If only old codgers would surrender their right to vote that could have prevented a huge car crash.

... and if only 16- 25 year olds surrendered theirs, we could save dozens of huge car crashes
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:He has voluntarily surrendered his licence

I doubt it was "voluntarily " since he was seen driving a few days later? It was that or be prosecuted?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47186875

The article fails to support that.

In many cases like this, the cessation of driving is seen as a positive outcome, and no further action taken, so the risk prosecution is fairly low.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cunobelin wrote:... and if only 16- 25 year olds surrendered theirs, we could save dozens of huge car crashes

Right to vote???
How would that work?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

kwackers wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:... and if only 16- 25 year olds surrendered theirs, we could save dozens of huge car crashes

Right to vote???
How would that work?

Creative solution
Under 25s may only drive accompanied by an over 75
And vice-versa of course, over 75s must be accompanied by under 25s
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:He has voluntarily surrendered his licence

I doubt it was "voluntarily " since he was seen driving a few days later? It was that or be prosecuted?

In many cases like this, the cessation of driving is seen as a positive outcome, and no further action taken, so the risk prosecution is fairly low.

and no further action taken
(the Police told him that I bet ,that the CPS wont take it further as a result )
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
mercalia wrote:

(the Police told him that I bet ,that the CPS wont take it further as a result )

Ah yes, the police are in cahoots with the CPS.

Obvious speculation on your part is obvious.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

my oh my. :roll: One would think that if there is a connection between giving up your licence and not being prosecuted in this type of case then any one in the legal profession would know about it whether the police or legal profession proper. Or would telling Duke this be breaking the law?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mercalia wrote:

my oh my. :roll: One would think that if there is a connection between giving up your licence and not being prosecuted in this type of case then any one in the legal profession would know about it whether the police or legal profession proper. Or would telling Duke this be breaking the law?

I've read your post. Have you?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

This is standard practice for many older people that have\cause accidents. There is no point spending time on it. Unless there is death or serious injury the cps will just hold the case if the person agrees to surrender their licence.the case can be resumed if they try to reapply for a licence. A court will only go ahead in the case of death or serious injury. It does not prejudice insurance claims.
Last edited by NUKe on 14 Feb 2019, 2:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUKe

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Ah yes, the police are in cahoots with the CPS.

yes
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mercalia wrote:

yes

Oh, I'd assumed you might have been rather busy rolling your eyes and sighing.