Walking dogs in the dark

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Walking dogs in the dark

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Surely dogs can be trained to go at home in the morning, as people do
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Surely dogs can be trained to go at home in the morning, as people do

Potty training is what you mean. In a way that can be done, not using a toilet or potty of course, but by training your dog to use the same bit of its regular walk each day. A patch of ground chosen because people don't tend to walk on it and also because picking up is relatively easy. Dogs find routine reassuring so they tend to go for a favoured spot anyway. Using the back garden is a possibility, but I think a bit of walking gets things moving so the urge might not arrive without a couple of minutes of walking down the road.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Surely dogs can be trained to go at home in the morning, as people do

Potty training is what you mean. In a way that can be done, not using a toilet or potty of course, but by training your dog to use the same bit of its regular walk each day. A patch of ground chosen because people don't tend to walk on it and also because picking up is relatively easy. Dogs find routine reassuring so they tend to go for a favoured spot anyway. Using the back garden is a possibility, but I think a bit of walking gets things moving so the urge might not arrive without a couple of minutes of walking down the road.

Our dogs do that naturally at a particular location depending on the walk we're doing. Some of them are even in the vague locale of a poo bin :D
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Friend of mine got fed up with a local dog owner, so picked it up for him, packaged it with a little note saying "you forgot to pick this up" and a. CD with a video of him walking off with dog after it had been, then left it on the offenders doorstep
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cunobelin wrote:Friend of mine got fed up with a local dog owner, so picked it up for him, packaged it with a little note saying "you forgot to pick this up" and a. CD with a video of him walking off with dog after it had been, then left it on the offenders doorstep

Quite right too.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Our dog when still a puppy went through a spell of defecating near a bin. Whether her usual route or when out and about somewhere new for her.

Our dog tends to need grass before she goes. We don't have a lawn so while she does go in our back yard if she needs to she mostly holds off for a walk. A walk generally is needed though. You tend to get used to your dog's habits though.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Today my wife and I took a trip out to see some yew trees (I am a big fan of these venerable, beautiful things). In one church yard a couple of pedegree gundogs appeared and one did its business amongst the graves. Shortly after the owner appeared with another dog and my wife politely made her aware of what had happened.
"Oh, I will come back shortly and clear it up" was the response. When challenged as to why she didn't carry anything to do that there and then she proceeded to try to take the wind out of our sails by waving a large old key at us and announcing that she was the church warden!
Her entire manner and the proximity of other, older doggie defacations suggested to us that she was no more likely to attend to the parochial poo problem than we were to grow wings and halos and pull a lever to send her straight to Hades.
No doubt a load of Jackanory will appear in the next parish magazine to the effect that 'our' dedicated church warden Cythia Smythe Fortescue Ffarquar Jones has dedicated time every day to get to the bottom of the dog fouling problem in the churchyard. Yes, getting to the bottom of the dog is a problem for her.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.