Avoiding Kessock Bridge

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Nareloc

Avoiding Kessock Bridge

Post by Nareloc »

I'm cycling from Ullapool to Inverness in April. Wishing to avoid the Kessock Bridge route into the city I wondered if going via Urray, Bridge of Ord and Beauly is a better route. Any local knowledge appreciated.
Navrig

Re: Avoiding Kessock Bridge

Post by Navrig »

When you get to Inverness head west along the inner Moray Firth towards Beauly and then Muir of Ord and then turn left, as you say, to Urray and then join the A835.

On the A835 I recommend you take care. It can be busy and is popular with (fast) motorbikes and day trippers as well as taking commercial traffic from Ullapool. Bright clothing and lights.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Kessock Bridge.
If you go over it on the other side of the barriers, it's no a problem.

You can get along the north side of the Beauly Firth and climb the hill onto the western side of the bridge and cross over to the Inverness side. From there, you can get off the bridge into Inverness without using the A9 at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
Nareloc

Post by Nareloc »

Many thanks, that's very helpful!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I was just looking at that route, Ullapool > Inverness, the other night.
Having crossed on the Kessock bridge last year I felt no need to avoid it
I’d settled on Muir of Ord > North Kessock , incl Bairdhu cycle route, cycle route to the bridge> over the bridge > route1 into the city.
Is there a flaw in that I’m unaware of? Wondering if some of that cycleroute is MtB territory.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I have cycled between Ullapool and Inverness quite a few times and never used Kessock Bridge. I would always use the Beauly route and along the south of the firth.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

bikepacker wrote:I have cycled between Ullapool and Inverness quite a few times and never used Kessock Bridge. I would always use the Beauly route and along the south of the firth.

Agreed. Crossing the bridge is not an issue but personally I prefer the southern route. We lived in Inverness for 12 years (and I had a m/bike) so I know the Beauly/Muir of Ord/Ullapool route quite well.
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

Don't know about alternatives but agreed that there is no particular need to avoid the bridge. It has a segregated cycle/foot path, thus...Image
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Don't get me wrong I wasn't implying Kessock Bridge should be avoided, I have used it a few times via the cycle path and it is good. I was just outlining my preferred route for the one the OP had stated.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Nareloc

Post by Nareloc »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I don't have any problem with the bridge itself, it's mainly the road leading to and from it. The route via Muir of Ard and the then the bridge sounds fine. I have been over the bridge once before but couldn't ride the bike due to severe Gale blowing off the Moray Firth! It will be the last section of my ride from the Isle of Wight to Inverness, via the Western Isles in April.
Scunnered

Post by Scunnered »

I used to cycle from Dingwall to Inverness before the bridge was built. It cost tuppence on the ferry.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

There really is no need to avoid the Kessock Bridge & I actually prefer the route North of the Beauly firth along the single track road past Redcastle - very quiet, always a couple of herons & other things to see. There is a bit of a pull from North Kessock up to the bridge but only of short duration. There is a cycle path both sides of the bridge, a little on the narrow side but perfectly OK. The route into the 'city' (still very much a town really) from the bridge is a bit grotty but that's the same really if you come South of the Beauly Firth & through Clachnaharry.

There is actually a castle at Redcastle (believe it or not!!) - I've cycled past countless times in the last few years & never knew it was there, shows what an ignorant bu$$er I am. (It is actually quite well hidden from the road & behind a large wall in an estate which I thought was private).

REDCASTLE:
redcastle.jpg

SINGLE TRACK ROAD NORTH OF BEAULY FIRTH:
Redcastle route.jpg
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Ullapool to Inverness is quite a nice route & not too bad traffic wise but just be aware of when the ferry spews out its load of cars at Ullapool. They subsequently travel together in a 'bit of a bulge' which can sometimes take you by surprise. I was cycling the route last year on a fine sunny afternoon, mind in neutral, enjoying the views on a quiet A835 when about 30 cars nose to tail seemed to come out of nowhere & overtake, some a little bit close, I think they were just so focussed on the car ahead and trying to 'stay in the pack' so to speak. Try not to get caught in this scenario on the road out of Garve as it's a little twisty & you're up against a fence adjacent to the railway lines for a spell here. Enjoy your trip.