Insulting advertising targeted at "Seniors"

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: Insulting advertising targeted at "Seniors"

Post by Cugel »

Cunobelin wrote:Internet is better and worse.

I use Ad Blockers because I do not want to pay for the adverts.

However more and more sites block you if you use one.

Fine, I can find another site easily enough that does also their use.

Equally YouTube is more and more adverts. One I watched last week - over half was adverts.

Ironically I tend to avid stuff that annoys me like this, so in my case it achieves the opposite of what is intended

Those websites that prevent access if you don't turn off the ad blocker are often wholly advertsing sites anyway. Take Bike Radar - nothing but product reviews really, including the "reviews". Even the how-to articles are full of the push to buy some more stuff. I just don't go to such websites. After all, what are we missing? Nothing of any consequence.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Re: "Seniors Insurance" Cr*p?

Post by Cugel »

landsurfer wrote:
Cugel wrote:
Cugel, not grown up enough to wear suits & ties or beige clothing with an unfortunate stain here & there.

I have a long standing agreement with my family ... if i wear beige or a cardigan ... its time for that "unfortunate accident" moment. :roll:

There would be nothing unfortunate about it, for the beige-clad gimmer or those otherwise tasked with the torturous business of gimmer-care, in which the gimmer is tortured by brain rot and the relatives are tortured by the long slow loss of a loved one, who is replaced by a mad and aggressive monster.

Personally I hope to drop dead whilst trying to go up the climb out of the Cych valley faster than the ladywife. Should I ever become a beige-clad dribbling shadow of my former self, I would hope euthanasia (of both the voluntary and involuntary kinds) would be legal by then.

I would tell the tale now of Jazzman Jacka, the music master at the grammar school I enjoyed in my yoof. He wore the same pair of beige cavalry twill trews for months or even years at a time, complete with a prominent unfortunate stain, of which he was either unaware of, or blase about. He was mad, often playing Tchaikovsky at full volume to semi-deafened boys; or sometimes Acker Bilk at a similar volume.

But in those days, many mad old blokes were allowed to be teachers rather than be tossed into the booby hatch. These days they would all be had-up for assault and worse! Cavalry twill trews stained in a certain unpleasant fashion might well have got them off the gaol sentence in favour of retention elsewhere "at her Majesty's pleasure" (strange pleasure, that).

Cugel, rambling on in a worrying manner.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

The pay-for-your-funeral insurance schemes can actually be pretty good value for money! If like me you have a reasonable chance of living >2 years but little likelihood of >5, a much better investment than saving. The interest rate is way more than simply saving say £30 a month! Worked out a good gamble for me when I did the sums.
PH

Re: "Seniors Insurance" Cr*p?

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote:One simple way of skipping TV advertising is to record programs containing adverts then FF through them,I'm surprised anyone who such adverts annoy so much doesn't do it. :)

Even simpler to throw the TV out :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Don't throw it out, give it away or sell it .................. but we don't want it! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Cugel wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Internet is better and worse.

I use Ad Blockers because I do not want to pay for the adverts.

However more and more sites block you if you use one.

Fine, I can find another site easily enough that does also their use.

Equally YouTube is more and more adverts. One I watched last week - over half was adverts.

Ironically I tend to avid stuff that annoys me like this, so in my case it achieves the opposite of what is intended

Those websites that prevent access if you don't turn off the ad blocker are often wholly advertsing sites anyway. Take Bike Radar - nothing but product reviews really, including the "reviews". Even the how-to articles are full of the push to buy some more stuff. I just don't go to such websites. After all, what are we missing? Nothing of any consequence.

Cugel

I'd you want to get around the Youtube wheeze of ever increasing advert frequency, download Tubemate (unsurprisingly not available on the YouTube owned Play Store), and hey presto you can offline nearly every piece of content from YouTube, Dailymotion and hundreds of other streaming platforms, all for free.

Buy a big hard drive 2TB for 40 quid and you can build a library of your own playlist to watch whenever you want offline or in places with no connection. I've got just about every British comedy show back to The Goons. You can also download audio (mp3 also)

I'd do it soon though, because eventually they'll find a way to block ripping encoders like this and then upto have to put up with their silly adverts ad nauseam..

Canuk: Bringing you the life hacks to get around those pesky advertising people.

https://tubemate.en.uptodown.com/androi ... ad/1768118
Cunobelin

Re:

Post by Cunobelin »

millimole wrote:
reohn2 wrote:One simple way of skipping TV advertising is to record programs containing adverts then FF through them,I'm surprised anyone who such adverts annoy so much doesn't do it. :)
This is one of the main reasons we never* watch any live TV.
(*6pm BBC news excepted)

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my gormless idiot phone.

Even the news is no longer "ad free"

The number of times that you see "News Stories" that are in fact really puff pieces for shows, programmes or promotions

Think how many times Celebrities Strictly skating in the jungle gets a mention
Cugel

Re: Re:

Post by Cugel »

Cunobelin wrote:
millimole wrote:
This is one of the main reasons we never* watch any live TV.
(*6pm BBC news excepted)

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my gormless idiot phone.

Even the news is no longer "ad free"

The number of times that you see "News Stories" that are in fact really puff pieces for shows, programmes or promotions

Think how many times Celebrities Strictly skating in the jungle gets a mention

This is so. How are professional sports, the latest goods for sale at some shopping chain, what a celeb is emitting, etcetera any kind of news? Why are the doings or sayings of actors, pop-stars and professional cyclists of any interest whatsoever to anyone other than their drooling fans?

Even the subject-matter that used to form the real news is now mostly a regurgitated PR piece from some PR agency, since this is an easy and free way for editors to obtain copy. All the PR puff need do is seem to be about a proper news item yet somehow turn the event into a promotion for some product, service, political party, celeb, charity or whatever. The not-so-various news organs blindly copy it out everywhere.

For decades I've harboured this suspicion: why do all national and international news channels seem to have "stories" that are the same stories, even if they put slightly differing spins on them depending on their political party preference? Who decides this tiny subset of all the world's daily events and why do all the major news channels go along with the selection?

One feels that the news is nothing more than a manipulation of the masses (aka propaganda) by a self-appointed news elite who have somehow formed themselves into a cabal or syndicate. One even suspects that the various owners and other controllers of "the news" are the same rascals we generally refer to as the oligarchy. I believe they used to be called The Establishment.

Meanwhile, any number of dark deeds go unnoticed, unreported or even obscured by The Daily Spectacle and it's latest gush about celeb-doings, "revealed" gizmos-you-must-have, the discovery of a carrot that looks like Bojo's nose, the terribly naughty but exciting act of Mrs Jones of Kidderminster and so forth.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes