BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Cunobelin

Re: BMW driver walks free from court after deliberately running over cyclist

Post by Cunobelin »

Bonefishblues wrote:Am I reading that correctly? It's saying that 40% of BMW drivers vaped or smoked (self-declared)

Only 15% of the UK smokes.

Just reporting the outcomes, the accuracy is not something that can easily be checked
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bonefishblues wrote:Am I reading that correctly? It's saying that 40% of BMW drivers vaped or smoked (self-declared)

Of the 100% adult(?) population, 15% smoke. What is that number?
100% of car drivers. What is that number?
Of 100% of BMW drivers, 40% of them smoke.
How many BMW drivers are there?
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cunobelin wrote:

Just reporting the outcomes, the accuracy is not something that can easily be checked

I'm asking if I am reading it correctly, because if I am, then BMW drivers, based on a self-reported sample, seem to have a significantly higher (c2.5x)propensity to smoke than average, which seems less than credible.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

I was under the impression that the aggressor was on a bmw *motorbike* not driving a bmw car...?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

I'm asking if I am reading it correctly, because if I am, then BMW drivers, based on a self-reported sample, seem to have a significantly higher (c2.5x)propensity to smoke than average, which seems less than credible.

As above, I quoted this as an example of how perceptions change with the survey and how different vehicles have different problems

I can not verify the results, nor am I saying these are correct. It was offered as a discussion point in reply to a previous post
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

brooksby wrote:I was under the impression that the aggressor was on a bmw *motorbike* not driving a bmw car...?

From the article:
A BMW driver ran down a cyclist on a quiet country lane after a road rage clash, a court heard.

Angry Paul Nodder, aged 37, chased the rider in his car and deliberately knocked him from his bike at more than 20mph – causing cuts, bruises and severe grazing.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cunobelin wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

As above, I quoted this as an example of how perceptions change with the survey and how different vehicles have different problems

I can not verify the results, nor am I saying these are correct. It was offered as a discussion point in reply to a previous post

But if it is self-evident nonsense I'm not sure what value it has to illustrate a point.

I'll happily make some stuff up for you - what do you want to illustrate (mine will have the benefit of being statistically credible :D )
softlips

Post by softlips »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

I currently have a BMW, in fact I’ve had several. I’ve never smoked or vaped. I’ve had my current BMW six months, driven around 5000 miles and can report I’ve never exceeded the speed limit on any road in that time. How many can say the same? You can’t tar everyone with the same brush.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

softlips wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

I currently have a BMW, in fact I’ve had several. I’ve never smoked or vaped. I’ve had my current BMW six months, driven around 5000 miles and can report I’ve never exceeded the speed limit on any road in that time. How many can say the same? You can’t tar everyone with the same brush.

You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself. Stereotypes must be conformed to at all times.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Maybe they are lying, my theory is that they had to work hard for decades to downgrade to bmw, back then they smoked in their Ford Anglias, when smoking was normal
I fear that smoking while driving is not specifically banned
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:..
Anecdote alert:-
IME,I'll almost guarantee that if I'm being tailgated on 30 and 40mph limited roads it'll be a young woman driving a smallish car.
On a motorway at 70/75mph,it's most likely to be a thirty or forty something driving a BMW or Audi.
More often than not on the bike close passes are usually BMW,Audi or Mercs.
There's a certain cocksure arrogance that seems to come with the German prestige car,and old black 3series BMW's tend to be driven by nutters.
That's my experience.

In my experience all types of vehicle/driver break the law, young and old, male and female, small, cheap, old vehicles too, buses &c
As r2 noted a while ago, normal drivers especially like bullying those in small vehicles, would a bwm going slowly be bullied?
Many PiCs, persons in cars, are so stupid, they drive a couple of metres behind buses and trucks. Are they trying to hide?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 11 Feb 2019, 5:24am, edited 1 time in total.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Cunobelin wrote:
brooksby wrote:I was under the impression that the aggressor was on a bmw *motorbike* not driving a bmw car...?

From the article:
A BMW driver ran down a cyclist on a quiet country lane after a road rage clash, a court heard.

Angry Paul Nodder, aged 37, chased the rider in his car and deliberately knocked him from his bike at more than 20mph – causing cuts, bruises and severe grazing.

Sorry, yeah, just reread the road.cc article. Says he was driving with his head down and not looking where he was going.

I'd misread it as head down like a TT rider...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe they are lying, my theory is that they had to work hard for decades to downgrade to bmw, back then they smoked in their Ford Anglias, when smoking was normal
I fear that smoking while driving is not specifically banned

I don't particularly like BMW's but know they are almost invariably well designed, well engineered and well put together. What on earth do you drive if you think moving to a BMW is a downgrade - a Bentley perhaps?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

That was an attempt at humour :wink:
Maybe mercedes are better
I drive a seat :?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I'm asking if I am reading it correctly, because if I am, then BMW drivers, based on a self-reported sample, seem to have a significantly higher (c2.5x)propensity to smoke than average, which seems less than credible.

But if it is self-evident nonsense I'm not sure what value it has to illustrate a point.

I'll happily make some stuff up for you - what do you want to illustrate (mine will have the benefit of being statistically credible :D )

It illustrates that different surveys have different outcomes, and that there is no overall "bad marque" when it comes to driving