Google Maps

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Re: Google Maps

Post by mercalia »

google maps is useful to know the position local amenities like Mcdonalds in towns? I have an app on my smartphone that uses google maps, that is useful just for this aspect. I wouldnt use it for any other purpose as itsd offline use isnt so great as the Bing maps on my smartphone
mjr

Post by mjr »

Ivor Tingting wrote:
mjr wrote:Google Maps is a motorists-first tool, with cycling a second-class citizen, and we should minimise use for that reason if nothing else. Let's use cycling-first tools instead!

This is what I mean. Not interested in your grudge, crusade/vendetta, almost pathological hatred toward motorists, with your big chip on your shoulder for anything that is not dedicated toward cycling.

Whoa, project much? I'm a motorist too, but using Google Maps for cycling makes almost as little sense as using a Wahoo Elemnt for driving. You can do it, but there are far better tools most of the time.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

As I said, I'd have a look at cycle.travel. It looks like a great resource, (well done Richard), but unfortunately too many white spaces (ie no mapping) for me.

I'll have to stick with the methods I listed above.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I tried planning a very local route with Google Maps just once.
The route offered was down footpaths (not cycle tracks or bridleways) which I know and which are completely unsuitable for cycling. Some are very hard going just for walking given the amount of vegetation.

Google Maps is (as many others have said) very good for cars and especially for finding resources in unknown areas and working round the occasional glitch in the mapping of dedicated car SatNavs.
I have found it reasonably good for walking as well, but not as good as the OS App under Android (phone and tablet). I don't think enough work has been put in (at least in the UK) to make it suitable for detailed cycle route planning which seems to fall between walking and driving.

Far better than nothing and very useful in Central London. I haven't needed an A-Z for a long time now. Also useful in other cities such as York and Leeds. The ability to mix public transport and walking is also a boon. However, not for detailed planning of a cycle route.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

They are all as bad as each other when it comes to local knowledge.
Cycle Travel is good, but not perfect.

Pick whatever routing site you want ......... I mean it .............. pick any you want, and take a screenshot of it.
Navigate - as a cyclist - from Gunnislake to Tavistock.

This is my recommended way.
Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 16.28.17.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS.
This is Cycle Travel, and is the same as all the others I've tried.
What's wrong with it?
Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 16.34.50.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I think probably the same thing as the last ten times you posted it Mick. :lol:

Slightly more seriously, I do know why it's doing that, and it's to do with estimated traffic levels on the A road. cycle.travel is penalising the steep climb on the minor road as it should, but it's giving a harsher traffic penalty to the A390 than would be ideal. I've got it on the list to look at, but I'm a little anxious that the change might have undesirable side-effects in other places (I could go on for several paragraphs why but I'm sure no-one's that interested!).

Generally these things even out over longer rides - so if you ask for (say) Callington to Tavistock, it has more route options so it won't choose either an A-road or a crazily steep hill.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

I think people want different things out of mapping. I seldom follow a suggested route what ever brand of mapping has given it. I always plot my own routes this is why I like actual maps i.e. OS mapping so much. But most people can't even read map so want a software mapping programme to tell them where to ride and complain if it takes them along totally unsuitable roads or down impassable footpaths.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

google maps is useful to know the position local amenities like Mcdonalds in towns

I could probably get through life without that knowledge.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:I think probably the same thing as the last ten times you posted it Mick. :lol:

Slightly more seriously, I do know why it's doing that, and it's to do with estimated traffic levels on the A road. cycle.travel is penalising the steep climb on the minor road as it should, but it's giving a harsher traffic penalty to the A390 than would be ideal. I've got it on the list to look at, but I'm a little anxious that the change might have undesirable side-effects in other places (I could go on for several paragraphs why but I'm sure no-one's that interested!).

Generally these things even out over longer rides - so if you ask for (say) Callington to Tavistock, it has more route options so it won't choose either an A-road or a crazily steep hill.
:lol: :lol:
Sorry for plugging it.
I understand that the sites do it like that because of their algorithms, but the main road is there because it's a 18c toll road as opposed to the straight and STEEP (look at the chevrons!) ancient pack-horse route. The toll road makers knew their stuff.

Callington to Tavistock is a poor example. There's only one efficient route, and that's the main road but there is a cycle track for much of it at the Callington end, and you can go down the back of Gunnislake village, but you still have to cross the river into England and climb the Devon side as per my example.

Crossings, you have a few choices other than Gunnislake Newbridge A390.
Launceston Polson Bridge on the Old A30
Greystones Bridge on the B 3362
Horsebridge on minor steep lanes.
Then it's right down at Plymouth over the Tamar Suspension Bridge A38.

If a person looked at a decent OS map, he'd be able to work it out as the best route is over Gunny bridge.
I know which I'd chose, and that would be Gunny bridge!
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cycle Travel Callington Fore Street to Tavistock Bedford Square.
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 12.00.15.jpg

Comments:
Ok, no real issues with crossing the Tamar over Horsebridge. Nice route, but very hilly.
However, the best and easiest route over it and to Tavy is not the way as Cycle Travel and others describe.
Leave Callington on the A390 as there's a cycle route out as you leave the town.
Carry on up the hill and turn left close by Kit Hill and down to Luckett village and then over Horsebridge.
Over the other side, turn right and follow this to Chipshop crossroads, turn right onto the B3363 for a short bit and then left via Mill Hill and Crease Lane to Tavistock.
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 12.16.48.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 12.17.01.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote:
google maps is useful to know the position local amenities like Mcdonalds in towns

After another emergency stop yesterday in the face of a motorist unwisely (obstruction on their side = they should stop) passing yet another Mucky D delivery lorry stopped dodgily on the approach to a zebra crossing (with cages pushed out blind from behind the lorry), I'd quite like to know where they are to avoid them!

But most are marked on OSM these days, in my experience, so it's not a reason to put up with google maps's rubbish routing and spying.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Oldjohnw wrote:

Mickey Ds is a reliable source of large and clean wc,
important in France at least. The Mickey D wine
is a passable chain cleaner too. :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Free WiFi in McD. Proved very useful for me in the past.

I've only ever used them in far flung places. After weeks of white rice and noodles a burger and chips tastes pretty good.

Unfortunate that mjr should have an incident with a McD delivery truck. Next week it'll probably be a Wetherspoon's one.
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote:Unfortunate that mjr should have an incident with a McD delivery truck. Next week it'll probably be a Wetherspoon's one.

Ironically, the McD truck parks outside the Wetherspoons, while - credit where it's due - Wetherspoons deliveries lorries do at least park in a car park entrance road where they don't endanger cyclists!

But I think it's symptomatic: Mucky D seems all about fast fast fast and fark anyone's safety if they can get away with it. Regularlly stopping a large lorry on a zebra approach is clearly nasty even if they are a few feet off the zig-zags onto the double-yellows.