Another iPhone question

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Another iPhone question

Post by Mick F »

If you receive an unwanted call, you can block that number.
You can go to Settings/Phone/Call Blocking & Identification and see your blocked list.

This works fine for phone calls and I have a long list, but how do you block the phone numbers of (spam) texts?
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Re: Another iPhone question

Post by PDQ Mobile »

In the settings menu- messages- has a blocked option. Though it goes to one's "contacts" list on opening it.
Perhaps one needs to add the unwanted source to the contacts list?
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

PDQ Mobile wrote:In the settings menu- messages- has a blocked option. Though it goes to one's "contacts" list on opening it.
Perhaps one needs to add the unwanted source to the contacts list?

I'm not sure that that will block unwarranted texts. Maybe calls from that number, in France you can phone up your provider with a list and they'll block em all on the network, before they can ever reach you.
Last edited by Canuk on 10 Feb 2019, 4:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Screen shot says-
image.jpg
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you go into settings then "Do not disturb" one of the options is to allow only calls from people on your contacts list. I don't think there's anything which blocks spam but allows calls from people you would be willing/ anxious to hear from. There won't be many people in that category but supposing somebody like a hospital was trying to contact you because they had found your mobile number in the purse/wallet of somebody unconscious is one possibility. Another would be if somebody important to you tried to contact you using an unknown phone such as a kiosk or borrowing somebody else's mobile. Or somebody on your contacts list who got a different phone and didn't keep their old number.

PS That worked for us when my wife started getting calls in a foreign language. Impossible to know whether it was some wrong number or spam. There was more than one number or I'd have blocked just that. Also, they were sometimes at a silly time of night. After a while I unblocked it and no trouble since.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well ................. Mrs Mick F has sorted it! :shock:

Go to your unwanted spam text. Top right you'll see an exclam mark.
Tap that, and you get another window with the name/number on the top line.
On the far right of that, there's a feint grey arrow. Tap it. Difficult if you have fat chubby fingers like mine.
This brings up another window with the texter's info.
Scroll down to the bottom, and you have the option to block this caller.

Well done Mrs Mick F! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

thirdcrank wrote:If you go into settings then "Do not disturb" one of the options is to allow only calls from people on your contacts list. I don't think there's anything which blocks spam but allows calls from people you would be willing/ anxious to hear from.

It's an interesting solution.
The only downside is that "do not disturb" doesn't function for "contacts"? Perhaps?

Just as O'Sullivan settles for the final crucial black, your phone rings. :shock:
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:Well ................. Mrs Mick F has sorted it! :shock:

On the far right of that, there's a feint grey arrow. Tap it. Difficult if you have fat chubby fingers like mine.

Does it add the caller to "contacts"? Or is it a separate "black list"?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There is an option which allows repeat calls. AIUI, you can tell contacts who you wold like to be able to contact you to ring twice and you'd get the second call. Nothing to stop spammers trying twice, especially if they know that some people may have that switched on.

I'd like to think that most people I know well enough to have my mobile number wouldn't ring at a silly time of the night. If I was still working shifts and didn't want calls when I was asleep during the day, I'd switch the ringer off and check voicemail when I woke up.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I justiwind them up....

At the moment I am receiving phone calls from a particular company who believe I am and 18 year old female Sun reader living in Council Accommodation and in major financial problems

My wife is always concerned that I will end up on a black list

She was particularly worried with one of the "You have had a Motor Vehicle Accident" and we can help you make a claim

Spent 15 minutes asking which of my many accidents we were talking about. Eventually settled on one where I suffered whiplash (they became incredibly keen)..... However when I explained that the Police had said I could not claim because the car was stolen, uninsured, I was 3 times the drink drive limit for alcohol and had tested positive for cocaine and cannabis................they hung up for some reason
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Mick F wrote:Well ................. Mrs Mick F has sorted it! :shock:

Does it add the caller to "contacts"? Or is it a separate "black list"?
Separate black list, just like the banned list of phone callers. In fact the black list of texters is in the same list as the phone callers.
Mick F. Cornwall
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Cunobelin wrote:I justiwind them up....

At the moment I am receiving phone calls from a particular company who believe I am and 18 year old female Sun reader living in Council Accommodation and in major financial problems

My wife is always concerned that I will end up on a black list

She was particularly worried with one of the "You have had a Motor Vehicle Accident" and we can help you make a claim

Spent 15 minutes asking which of my many accidents we were talking about. Eventually settled on one where I suffered whiplash (they became incredibly keen)..... However when I explained that the Police had said I could not claim because the car was stolen, uninsured, I was 3 times the drink drive limit for alcohol and had tested positive for cocaine and cannabis................they hung up for some reason

I play along with them if I've got the time and usually the call is generated by a computer and if you answer it is then passed to a real person who asks a few questions such as when was your accident, did you suffer any injuries etc then it is passed to another person who asks the same questions again but wants more detail in the answers. Usually my injuries are fatal, then they hang up which I find rather rude :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I never get spam calls, what am I doing right?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies