Solid shampoo bars

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

Re: Solid shampoo bars

Post by foxyrider »

Oldjohnw wrote:Can these products be purchased in shops or just online (with attendant postage)? Thanks for drawing attention to this: it has been exercising me for some time without a solution?

+1 - there is a Lush near me but all the perfume sets my allergies off!

So where else can we purchase this wonder product?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Missus uses Aleppo soap: doesn't lather as much as ordinary soap but works, and a single bar lasts a year. :shock:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleppo_soap
Have we got time for another cuppa?
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

foxyrider wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Can these products be purchased in shops or just online (with attendant postage)? Thanks for drawing attention to this: it has been exercising me for some time without a solution?

I bought this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Shampo ... 2749.l2649

But if you have allergies, then I have no knowledge of that.

Don't get too excited, it's a shampoo bar, not a chain lube bar :-)
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

There are a few companies that sell similar items, if you google melt and pour solid shampoo some will come up. I got mine from a shop in Bury St Edmunds (no longer there) in a 1kg tub.

My friend in Leeds got some from here: https://www.stephensonpersonalcare.com/ ... crystal-ss
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
mjr

Post by mjr »

Lush used to sell mail order too. I expect they use the internet now. I know what yor mean about the shops reeking of perfume. Not everything they sell is hypoallergenic and green, for sure!

I expect the Green Parrot in Swaffham and Rainbow in Norwich would sell solid shampoos. They've been popular in "greener" shops for ages because solids use less oil than liquid hair soaps.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

foxyrider wrote:

That's another reason why I went off soaps and shampoos. If you research there are a number of things that could be setting off your "allergies" that soaps contain:
- Phthalate - is the chemical that locks the perfume into the soaps
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate - makes it foamy and could be an irritant
- Parabens - preservative and can also be an irritant

Here is more info if interested: https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/2018/07/25/plastic-free-july-days-26-to-27-getting-soapy/
Low carbon, zero waste running journey
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Tyre Lady wrote:
foxyrider wrote:

That's another reason why I went off soaps and shampoos. If you research there are a number of things that could be setting off your "allergies" that soaps contain:
- Phthalate - is the chemical that locks the perfume into the soaps
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate - makes it foamy and could be an irritant
- Parabens - preservative and can also be an irritant

Here is more info if interested: https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/2018/07/25/plastic-free-july-days-26-to-27-getting-soapy/

Whatever it is, someone dosed in perfume on the bus sets me off! More subtle perfumes don't bother me - it's the amount rather than the basic presence that I don't do!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I was finding it hard to understand this thread initially. I thought it was some new gimmick handlebar design......who wants a solid handlebar I was thinking & what has perfume got to do with it?

Got rid of my drops & fitted a set of solid shampoo bars, great for touring & much better than those butterflies!!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I just use bars of pure soap for everything when on tour, and everything except clothes when at home.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs ... oap-4x125g

Very cheap, the absence of perfumes and moisturisers and things means it works a lot better as soap, and the end of the bar is just the same as the start, without any of the drying up and cracking you get with more regular perfumed bars. I usually have a half used bar put aside for touring, to cut weight.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Soap or water or whatever is on my face. No adverse comments from my wife who is quick to take offence if my eyebrows so much as wander. No2 haircut here as well and receding. :?
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

foxyrider wrote:Whatever it is, someone dosed in perfume on the bus sets me off! More subtle perfumes don't bother me - it's the amount rather than the basic presence that I don't do!

Gotta agree with you .... I strongly dislike artificial perfume smells. Worst is when someone is covered in it and hug you, therefore making you smell of them :x
Low carbon, zero waste running journey
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Lush has shops, body shop probably does them. You May find them in Holland & Barret. Otherwise you will need to find an independent shop.
NUKe

Post by Oldjohnw »

NUKe wrote:

Lush has shops, body shop probably does them. You May find them in Holland & Barret. Otherwise you will need to find an independent shop.

Thanks.
John