Birmingham to London via the canals.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
chris.steenkamp

Birmingham to London via the canals.

Post by chris.steenkamp »

Hi everyone! Looking at taking the bikes up to Birmingham by train, and cycling back via the canals and towpaths.
Has anyone attempted this, and do they have any advice?
mjr

Re: Birmingham to London via the canals.

Post by mjr »

I can only speak about the section I know but Northampton (or Gaydon Junction on the main canal) to Milton Keynes is a mix of OK (in the town and city), very slow dirt track and impossible (Blisworth tunnel). You would have far more fun following NCN Route 6 instead for that bit.

It might be more interesting to try to follow the old GCR forthcoming HS2 route and document it before it changes again forever?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

chris.steenkamp wrote:Hi everyone! Looking at taking the bikes up to Birmingham by train, and cycling back via the canals and towpaths.

I have taken a train to birmingham and ridden back to london a couple times.
You can have the tried and tested gpx if you pm me.
Didn't involve canals though except for the first bit.
Although I have ridden canals on long rides, eg my ride wolverhampton to ribble valley which spent ages on canals near stoke that was because cycletravel routed me that way. I wouldn't deliberately seek them out.
I can recommend breakfast and an espresso in blenheim palace park even though you aren't really supposed to be there.
(Breakfast - i bivvied en route though not i stress at blenheim.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Is that the grand Union Canal? I have ridden from London up as far as Ivinghoe ( when a YHA there ). Reasonable surface and quite nice in places, but slow. Towards London fear of muggers and often narrow path
1982john

Post by 1982john »

chris.steenkamp wrote:Hi everyone! Looking at taking the bikes up to Birmingham by train, and cycling back via the canals and towpaths.

Hi Chris.

I'm very familiar with the sections from Birmingham to Warwick. It really varies from decent surface to a rideable trail then degrading to a very narrow path depending on the time of the year.

Right now some sections are very boggy and you would want something that can handle long muddy puddles but those tend to dry out in the summer.

I would estimate that you'd average about 10mph on a good day as you have to stop for bridges that are uncyclable or fisherman dog walkers etc.
chris.steenkamp

Awesome, thanks!

Regards,

CJ
chris.steenkamp

Will the train be an issue?

Regards,

CJ
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Trains will be fine if you take London Northwestern Railway or Chiltern Railways. If you go by Virgin you'll need to book a bike space.

Personally, from central Birmingham, I'd actually start by cycling south along the Worcester & Birmingham Canal to Kings Norton. Then turn east along the Stratford Canal, which is prettier and has a tolerable towpath (assuming you're not on a skinny-tyred road bike), as far as Lapworth. At Lapworth, go on road to the top of Hatton Locks on the Grand Union. Follow the towpath or (where it differs) NCN 41 to Long Itchington, then take lanes all the way to Milton Keynes. It's moderately cyclable south from there, generally better in those places where it's part of the NCN.

But it depends on your bike - that's what I'd do on a tourer or gravel bike, but on a MTB you could do the lot (slowly) - tunnels excepted - and on a road bike I'd suggest just going by road instead.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
chris.steenkamp

Thanks, I will definitely be on an MTB!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
chris.steenkamp

Thanks!
pegasus96

Post by pegasus96 »

Sweep wrote:

Although I have ridden canals on long rides, eg my ride wolverhampton to ribble valley which spent ages on canals near stoke that was because cycletravel routed me that way. I wouldn't deliberately seek them out.
I can recommend breakfast and an espresso in blenheim palace park even though you aren't really supposed to be there.

Any chance i could grab that GPX file! Cheers in advance
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pegasus96 wrote:
Sweep wrote:

Any chance i could grab that GPX file! Cheers in advance

pm me your email address.
Sweep
pga

Post by pga »

The Grand Union through Milton Keynes is not perfect bu much better than the Redway for going through the town. You can ride on the towpath but the canal has leisure routes on both sides as well for much of the way. There are cycling friendly refreshments on route - Camphill Vegetarian Cafe in Willen Park, The Giffard public house in Giffard Park and the Nags Head in Great Linford - all highly recommended.

Generally, as others have pointed out canal towpath cycling is hard work especially when the hedge cutters have been around.
willp01908

Post by willp01908 »

If you`re doing it before early April and need an overnight in MK, look me up on Warmshowers (North MK - "WillandAnke"). Half a mile from the canal. Just a sofa bed or maybe a real one in the spare room if we can clear a space to it :wink:
It`s pretty much halfway.