Tout terrain Silkroad rear panniers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Stitch01

Tout terrain Silkroad rear panniers

Post by Stitch01 »

Hi Everyone,
I’m looking at getting a new set of rear panniers for my 2009 Tout terrain Silkroad. I’ve got Ortlieb ones at the moment but the fit isn’t perfect. I was considering the Vaude Aqua 48l panniers to replace them but I don’t want it to be an expensive mistake and the Vaude fitting no better than the Ortlieb. Any ideas from anyone else who’s come across this problem? Thanks in advance, Carl
foxyrider

Re: Tout terrain Silkroad rear panniers

Post by foxyrider »

The Vaude fitting is less good than the latest Ortlieb.

But you don't say what the problem is, knowing that we (the collective) may be able to help better.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Ivor Tingting

Re: Tout terrain Silkroad rear panniers

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Stitch01 wrote:Hi Everyone,
I’m looking at getting a new set of rear panniers for my 2009 Tout terrain Silkroad. I’ve got Ortlieb ones at the moment but the fit isn’t perfect. I was considering the Vaude Aqua 48l panniers to replace them but I don’t want it to be an expensive mistake and the Vaude fitting no better than the Ortlieb. Any ideas from anyone else who’s come across this problem? Thanks in advance, Carl

Can't say I have. If you can't get either your Ortlieb or Vaude panniers to fit the rack you are pretty stuck as these are the best two makes of panniers on the market. Each come with fittings to mount to virtually any rack and spacers to accommodate various thicknesses of tubing. Tout Terrain bikes are German and some of the best expedition bikes available. I know of people who have ridden around the world on them with Ortlieb panniers also German without problem. I also doubt very much Tout Terrain would design their rear rack such that it would not accommodate Ortlieb panniers as they are so widely used. AFAIA the rear rack of the Tout Terrain Silkroad is part of the bike frame i.e. integral as opposed to bolted on like almost every other rack. Without wishing to be rude I think the problem may lie more with you not fitting them correctly than the panniers or rear rack. A little more explanation and or pictures as to how or why you think your Ortlieb panniers don't fit properly would be helpful so the forum has a better chance of offering an appropriate solution for you e.g. diameter of the tubing of the rear rack tubing and whether you have the corresponding correct size spacers in the Ortlieb pannier hooks. IRC the Ortlieb panniers can be mounted on 8, 10 and 13 mm tubing. Other diameters might be possible by wrapping gaffer tape of old inner tube around tubing if it is a little loose in the hooks to stop the panniers rattling and stop it moving. The hooks of Ortlieb and Vaude are both different, but they both work well. I have both.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.