Has the forum hit rock bottom?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Has the forum hit rock bottom?

Post by reohn2 »

What with 'bring back the birch,English/Irish/Scotsman jokes,and most boring town in the UK threads.
Is the forum running itself into a cult de sac of drivle? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pliptrot

Re: Has the form hit rock bottom?

Post by pliptrot »

When I read the one about the birch I was confused: are we not 48 days too early for this nonsense? The forum does seem to be going through an unsettling time; it is a little distressing to see the cheerleaders of the latest shiny baubles being so sour and confrontational. I always thought that a little critical thinking and comments from experience are to be welcomed, whatever the subject may be. A far as cycling goes, this forum is one of the last outposts of such thought. Long may that continue. Being rude to those who don't hold your opinions is a sure way to threaten that.
Audax67

Re: Has the form hit rock bottom?

Post by Audax67 »

I rather like cult de sac - it implies that being boring has become a religious duty. As indeed Political Correctness has rendered it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
thirdcrank

Re: Has the forum hit rock bottom?

Post by thirdcrank »

reohn2 wrote:What with 'bring back the birch,English/Irish/Scotsman jokes,and most boring town in the UK threads.

Why not start a poll? :wink:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I visit a forum where by the wishes of the users nobody brings up politics and current affairs. One post skirted perilously close to it by saying there was some deadline coming up end of march but no Brexit or anything is mentioned. It is a really pleasant forum to visit. Interesting because all the posts are relevant to some aspect of what the forum is about.

Politics isn't cycling neither is corporal punishment. Indeed if that was the possible outcome for cycling in a wrong or non-conforming manner then I'd probably choose another activity because cycling is purely about fun for me.

So IMHO the more politics permeates through a forum the more it sinks to the bottom. The types of posts mentioned by the OP are a symptom of the problem. Put simply is cycling not enough for you? Do you need these distractions?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

thirdcrank wrote:
reohn2 wrote:What with 'bring back the birch,English/Irish/Scotsman jokes,and most boring town in the UK threads.

But remember the rules for polls. You must offer options that support or promote your views. You can add other views but remember to make them less palatable so they're not selected. These are the rules that most of this forum's pollsters seem to follow.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

This is, of course, a political thread. Visiting it is voluntary. There at pages and pages of cycling only discussion, although these stray into politics on occasion (sentencing of motorists for example).
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

It did that some time ago long before the posts you mentioned. Long standing members have observed the number of posts steadily going down and down as people desert for other friendlier places. Tolerance, good humour and friendship have been replaced by intolerance, insult, group bullying and blabbermouth drivel. Inaction by the supposed moderators is part of the problem.

Its only the cycling/touring related discussions that maintain my interest.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote:Inaction by the supposed moderators is part of the problem.
I would dispute that. Let the Mods answer for themselves.

al_yrpal wrote:Its only the cycling/touring related discussions that maintain my interest.
Well, you do seem to spend a good deal of time in the Tea Shop... (As I do, I freely admit).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

This question turns up every so often. It could be asked if asking the question is rock bottom.

Personally l find a lot of the other threads can be drivel. There are a series of questions which are endlessly repeated and to which the correct response to the OP would be:

1. go away and read the thousand articles about this

2. it depends upon you and your circumstances

3. why not enjoy the serendipity of finding this out for yourself when you do the ride

There are of course good and valid questions but many are pointless. And for the first I am reminded of an old female lecturer when l was doing my degree. When endlessly assailed by questions she would smile sweetly and say, 'FOFO'. It's often good advice.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Tangled Metal wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:

But remember the rules for polls. You must offer options that support or promote your views. You can add other views but remember to make them less palatable so they're not selected. These are the rules that most of this forum's pollsters seem to follow.

Like this you mean-
2019-02-11_111735.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Ben@Forest wrote:This question turns up every so often. It could be asked if asking the question is rock bottom.

Personally l find a lot of the other threads can be drivel. There are a series of questions which are endlessly repeated and to which the correct response to the OP would be:

1. go away and read the thousand articles about this

2. it depends upon you and your circumstances

3. why not enjoy the serendipity of finding this out for yourself when you do the ride.

OK so asking such a question if you've been on the forum for long enough to have seen the answer before is one thing but a newbie asking the question isn't likely to find the answer using the search facilities on forums like this one. Sorry but I've yet to find a forum search facility that didn't return a lot of posts from the same thread that happened to contain one of the words in the search phrase. If it bothers you a simple link to a previous thread should limit the new one. Or perhaps a sticky thread of common questions that's updated.

People come to forums like this one to discuss and read about cycling matters first. Some can be newbies to cycling with no knowledge. Isn't it a better idea to help them than get annoyed about it being asked before? I've seen people disappear after one query thread getting just that annoyed response. Not sure I liked seeing it but I could be on my own about that.

Levels of Internet savviness (made up word) is wide among people using the Internet as is their use of Google. I've been on the Internet since 1998 or before I can't remember. I'm still taking a few attempts to get something useful out of search engines.

At the end of the day do such posts asking for help or information b cause arguments and insults to fly? Drivel they might be to you but they're increasingly less frequent and it's a positive act helping people unlike trying to argue them into submission like political threads can turn into.

YMMV of course. But which part of this forum would you think us most relevant to a cycling charity? Which would you miss the least?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I'm on a number of Motorcycle and Flying forums as well as this one ... they are so boring by comparison ... everyone is sooo nice and calm ... never threats of violence, angry disagreements, C*r*es, profanity et al

This ones much more fun !!!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

al_yrpal wrote: Inaction by the supposed moderators is part of the problem.

Seriously?
As I've said before this is the most (over)moderated Forum I've used!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

100%JR wrote:
al_yrpal wrote: Inaction by the supposed moderators is part of the problem.

Seriously?
As I've said before this is the most (over)moderated Forum I've used!

And for consummate balance, I find the attitude of this Forum's Moderators adult and refreshing.