Britain's Most Boring Town

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Britain's Most Boring Town

Post by Oldjohnw »

If a small town had a world famous classical music venue some would call it the most boring town. Others would count themeselves lucky to live there.
John
PH

Post by PH »

Canuk wrote:
Try posting a link that says 650 million meals served in France each year, because it didn't exist in any of your previous 5 years out of date references...

https://frenchly.us/french-paradox-mcdo ... -new-york/

Like I said, it isn’t hard
What a shame the moderator has to keep deleting your personal nastiness, I’d rather it stayed in place, it’s not me it hurts.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Not exactly boring as such but the worst place I've ever visited in Britain is Rhyll.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

100%JR wrote:Not exactly boring as such but the worst place I've ever visited in Britain is Rhyll.

Ipresume you didn't make the short distance further to Prestatyn? (Birthplace of Baron Two Jags.)
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

thirdcrank wrote:
100%JR wrote:Not exactly boring as such but the worst place I've ever visited in Britain is Rhyll.

Ipresume you didn't make the short distance further to Prestatyn? (Birthplace of Baron Two Jags.)

We were (supposed) to be staying in Prestatyn.It was a last minute booking with friends.They booked us all in at Pontins on IIRC a Sun deal.Cost £38 Mon-Fri and that was too much....absolutely hideous place.Looked like a Prison.We only stayed one night in the end.Never again :| Only briefly saw both towns and we went to Betws-Y-Coed instead.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

pliptrot wrote:
Audax67 wrote:Ditto most of the country villages round here on a Sunday.
Yes, but you have the BBC to compensate. We have German TV and radio.

The BBC? Dear sir, look to the right-hand column.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

100%JR wrote: ... We were (supposed) to be staying in Prestatyn.It was a last minute booking with friends.They booked us all in at Pontins on IIRC a Sun deal.Cost £38 Mon-Fri and that was too much....absolutely hideous place.Looked like a Prison.We only stayed one night in the end.Never again :| Only briefly saw both towns and we went to Betws-Y-Coed instead.

Some years ago, my wife got a sudden inking to go Christmas shopping in Chester and stay a couple of nights. At short notice at that time of year, we had to get in where we could and the hotel was depressing and made worse by a big office party. Trailing around the shops on the Saturday, my wife hurt her leg which reduced her mobility a bit so on the Sunday - probably before the days of Sunday opening - we did a bit of exploring and ended up in Prestatyn. To be fair, you can't really expect much from a UK seaside resort in Winter but it was grim. I've a feeling that at some stage the holiday camp in Prestatyn was briefly used as prison overflow accommodation - perhaps when Michael Howard was Home Secretary. :?: If so, probably the target of a human rights case on degrading punishments. :lol: When unsuccessfully checking for a reference to that, I saw that Carol Vorderman comes from there.

Re Betws-Y-Coed, it used to be on our regular route through Wales going on holiday, when our children were primary school age and they referred to it as "Bet you wish you could." If the alternative were to be Prestatyn I think that would be fair enough.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Never visit Withernsea. Rhyll is a quality holiday park compared to that.

Interestingly the first use of a taser type of device in the UK was in police trials held in humberside and specifically Withernsea. A local copper recognised a local n'er do well with outstanding warrant going into a phone booth. In going to arrest him the coppers took into account his history of carrying knives. So the took no chances and zapped him. I seem to recall it wasn't the right guy but that could be wrong.

I guess that makes it less than dull by a small margin.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Audax67 wrote:
pliptrot wrote:If you want a boring town, try any German town with a population of less than 50,000 on a Sunday.

Ditto most of the country villages round here on a Sunday. The only advantage is that you're through and out the other side PDQ.

Bautzen is not boring, or Tangermuende, or dozens of others, if one is interested in history culture museums, quiet not boring, fortunately the shops are shut on Sundays :D
There is some good boring cycling in Germany, by the Elbe, just lots of nowt to see, Plus One

What about small towns in the UK, is Ludlow boring?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Small towns probably get boring the longer you live there. If you're a visitor they're interesting for the short time you're there.

Anyone want to visit milnethorpe, Carnforth, Kirkby Lonsdale, Caton or the little hamlet of Quernmore? Or that old plague village nearby whose name I can't remember right now.

There's interest in everywhere just don't hang around for long in some places, possibly most places, or you'll lose interest.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Tangled Metal wrote:Small towns probably get boring the longer you live there. If you're a visitor they're interesting for the short time you're there.

Anyone want to visit milnethorpe, Carnforth, Kirkby Lonsdale, Caton or the little hamlet of Quernmore? Or that old plague village nearby whose name I can't remember right now.

There's interest in everywhere just don't hang around for long in some places, possibly most places, or you'll lose interest.

Plague village.Eyam in Derbyshire?

We call in at Kirby Lonsdale on our way up to the lakes.Have done for years.We used to ride up to Devils Bridge on the motorbikes every Sunday too.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's plague villages around the country. There's one in the forest of Bowland area or Lune valley somewhere. I can't remember it but I read it in a book or leaflet of walking route near here. Can't find it to get the name.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Looked at the website of a Small Town in Germany, Bad something
There were two links
- History of the town
- Locations of machines dispensing bags for dog droppings :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Sometimes the town (or city) signs an give a flavour of the place.
Ripon (which is a city but with about 20,000 people) says 'Stay a while amid its ancient charms'.
Norwich says 'A Fine City'
Guildford has a plaque which says 'Eric Parker described Guildford as a beautiful city. Let us keep it so.'

Conversely Ipswich had signs which said 'Ipswich. Late night shopping Thursdays'
And Kilmarnock had signs saying 'Kilmarnock. Most Improved Town in Scotland'. Which is a double-edged compliment if ever I heard one.

Some of these (especially Ipswich where I haven't been for 20 years) are probably out of date. Apologies if you live there and they are!
peetee

Post by peetee »

Southampton is the 'International maritime city' according to its welcome signage. One wonders where in the world there is a maritime city' that isn't international? The graphic accompanying the words shows a glaciers-eye view of the prow of a ship and rather deftly omits any funnels. The city, which rises to approx 30m above sea level for much of its area is down (prevailing) wind of its main income stream which is powered by gigantic diesel engines which run 24/7 in the hull of cargo and passenger ships. No wonder then that Southampton has a pollution problem way above the national average - to which the Council is busy encouraging more sensible private vehicle use by increasing levies.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.